Ho do you feel about spearing?

2/11/15 @ 5:30 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
In Minnesota they are talking about new special regulations on Northern Pike, in order to increase their size. In Minnesota it is also legal to spear pike. I was just wondering what do you feel about spearing, and do you think it affects the potential for growing trophy pike. I would be very interested in everyones thoughts.
Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts
3/7/15 @ 10:16 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
USER since 9/16/01
By your post I'm guessing you've never fished with a tribal member. Propaganda is just that. It's interesting that 2 adjacent states to Wis. allow spearing as a form of fishing for anyone, and they don't have lakes void of fish as the result of said spearing. Now we (Wis.) allow only tribal members to take a very limited amount of fish by spearfishing, yet there are many lakes void of gamefish? Propaganda. The tribes don't even take what they are allowed to take. We, as 'sportsmen', take a much higher percentage of fish that we are allowed to take.

I think the OPs question was too general, but still a good one.

Edit: I stand corrected. The tribes, being sovereign nations, fish the way the treaties dictate with input from the WDNR.

Edited on 3/7/15 10:22 PM
Post Your Comment
3/7/15 @ 4:18 PM
gunslinger9562
gunslinger9562
USER since 2/18/11
nitemite your comparing sturgeon spearing to what the tribe does not even close. have you ever been on bago for sturgeon I have also shined a lake for spawning eyes. like shining a field for deer that's why the tribe does it. there to lazy to work for it

Post Your Comment
3/3/15 @ 3:06 PM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
Here in Minnesota it is legal for anyone to spear northern pike.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
3/3/15 @ 1:22 PM
paddler1
paddler1
MEMBER since 12/10/14
I heard that there's a new Wisconsin white wine. It's called "I WANNA SPEAR WALLEYES, TOO!" Crying Crying Crying Relax... It's a joke... Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

Edited on 3/3/15 1:27 PM
Post Your Comment
3/3/15 @ 12:28 PM
pool 9 cathunter
pool 9 cathunter
USER since 9/23/14
Spearing sucks

Post Your Comment
3/3/15 @ 12:14 PM
USER since 10/5/05
I just checked esoxcpr's links. Here's what I see:

2013 walleye spearing statistics: 432 spearers, 28,386 walleye harvested = 65+ walleye per spearer.

CPE (catch per boat hour) = 17.9. On average, every hour a boat is on the water with effort directed towards spearing walleye, 18 fish are harvested per hour!

Hook and line angler harvest of walleye in the ceded territory per hour of directed effort is about 0.05 walleye/hour of directed effort (20 hours/walleye harvested). This information is based on the same creel surveys esox mentions.

So right now spearing walleye results in a 358x increase in harvest per amount of targeted effort. That is the very definition of slaughterfest.

If you want to argue that tens to hundreds of thousands of hook and line fisherman have more impact on harvest than a few hundred spearers, go ahead. But claiming that hook and line fishing is easier than spear fishing, that is a blatant lie.

Post Your Comment
3/3/15 @ 11:49 AM
Badgerloader
Badgerloader
USER since 4/10/11
Spearing through a ice hole has been compared to trying to hunt ducks by looking up through a chimney. Very inefficient with low harvests.

Open water spearing at night using spotlights in a moving boat is extremely efficient and therefore detrimental to fish populations.

Post Your Comment
3/3/15 @ 10:42 AM
NiteMite
NiteMite
USER since 9/16/01
Check what esoxcpr posted and check the links. Your knowledge of the slaughter house is contradictory to the facts. Now, I will agree that if everyone that uses so-called sportsman equipment uses spears, the spear total would rise, but would still not be anywhere near the total already for so-called 'sportsman' take. Someone casting can and does catch more fish in a day than anyone spearing does in a month. Don't believe me? Try it. It's not as easy or simple as it is made out to be by propaganda. Look at the sturgeon spearers(?) for example. If the propaganda was true day one would be the end of the season AND probably for the next several seasons.

Edited on 3/4/15 10:39 AM
Post Your Comment
3/2/15 @ 5:20 PM
USER since 10/5/05
If spearing was open for pike it would just become a slaughterfest for meathogs.. that's essentially what walleye spearing already is. Ice fishing already seems to be such a slaughterfest, where people take so many big pike. I'm sure darkhouse spearing could be a useful tool for overpopulated lakes, but I don't trust our general population to not abuse it.

Post Your Comment
3/1/15 @ 10:16 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
USER since 9/16/01
Thank you esoxcpr for finding and posting the facts.There is spearing going on for sturgeon and Racine~Lake Michigan perch and trout and in the outflow of Lake Geneva. It all seems to be legal Wondering , so what's the big deal?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts