Help Me Pick Out an Inflatable Vest

2/4/16 @ 9:10 AM
ORIGINAL POST
wini
wini
USER since 3/27/06
Getting older and realizing the need to be more careful, I have decided to purchase an inflatable vest. Light and easy to wear seems the most important factor. I don't know how often you have to re-charge, but costs of the recharge kits seem to vary. What other factors should I consider? Are the expensive "Mustangs" worth it? They (all inflatable vests) look so bulky in the pictures.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
4/14/16 @ 12:38 PM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
USER since 7/7/04
I bought the Mustang Elite with H.I.T. They normally run around $250, but BPS had them on special for $200. You have to re-arm them every 5 years at a cost of $70.

I also have a Onyx traditional vest that I wear when the water is still cold. They run around $100.

This is one area that I refuse to skimp on price. My life is worth $250 to me, plus I wear either of these all of the time that I am in a boat.

I see people with their life jackets strapped to the seats in a boat. If they fall in do they think that they are going to get back into the boat and put them on?

You have 5-6 minutes to get back into your boat in 40 degree water. After that if you are wearing a life jacket they can recover your body faster.

Also, always hook up your kill switch to your body somehow. If you fall in, your boat will start to circle you and possibly come back and hit you.

Post Your Comment
4/14/16 @ 6:27 AM
paddler1
paddler1
MEMBER since 12/10/14
I have experience with both the Cabela's model and Mustang. I wear the Mustang daily at work and find it very comfortable, and the Cabela's, which I have for personal use in my boat, not so much. The Mustangs are quite pricey but I wish I had purchased Mustang.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 7:30 AM
port1042
port1042
MEMBER since 2/11/12
I bought the BassPro special a couple of years ago. It cost about $80.00 at the time and is an automatic/manual model. I wear it all the time. I have no complaints about comfort and often forget to take it off before I get back in the van. I have noticed that the model I have has the same unit that is personalized for many vendors. It carries a marking of "A/M | 24".

My fishing partner bought the same unit and we bought one rearming kit between us. This will it's 3rd spring coming up and I plan to recharge it. It has never been inflated or repacked so I'll be interested to see how that works.

I equip my boat with regular PFD's for all passengers, along with a throwable and a safety line. My inflatable is "extra". My partner almost got thrown out one day and that was day I bought it. I never wore that regular PFD but the inflatable has become part of my uniform.

Post Your Comment
2/4/16 @ 9:24 PM
cycleguy
cycleguy
USER since 2/8/05
I spent some time trying a lot of them on. The Mustang was the most comfortable. There was just something about how it sat on and around my shoulders and neck. The collar material was nicer than some as well.

I found it helped to go to a big store… I looked at Bass Pro where they had a few different models to play around with. Comfort was huge to me… knowing it wouldn't get worn if it wasn't.

Post Your Comment
2/4/16 @ 10:12 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
My personal opinion is, and everybody has one that the Mustang's are worth it. My life is worth saving, so yes I will go with the best.

Post Your Comment