Geneva Lake Walleyes, Walworth Co.

3/11/13 @ 3:14 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Smallmouthguide
Smallmouthguide
USER since 9/15/01
Sent my renewal dues out today. Great organization and I'm proud to be a member. Great news about the future commitment by WFT to Lake Geneva.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts
8/6/14 @ 9:12 PM
Line Snapped
Line Snapped
USER since 12/14/07
The Walworth County Chapter of Walleyes For Tomorrow fundraiser was a success. We will be operating the walleye hatchery again in Spring of 2015. If you would like to become a member, check out the hatchery or to see what we do visit www.walleyesfortommorrowwalworth.org or better yet stop by the hatchery during the operation in Spring 2015. Thanks Everyone!!

Post Your Comment
7/16/14 @ 9:39 PM
Line Snapped
Line Snapped
USER since 12/14/07
PLEASE SEE UPDATED MESSAGE ABOVE We will be having a fundraiser to keep the walleye hatchery up and running for next spring 2015. Message me for raffle tickets or dinner tickets. Thank You. Been getting reports of 6-8" walleye and 10-12+" walleye in 8 to 11 fow. They can be seen on very flat and calm conditions where the small perch are usually at. Let me know if you happen to see any. Thanks. LS

Post Your Comment
10/21/13 @ 6:10 PM
Line Snapped
Line Snapped
USER since 12/14/07
Update: I have been told about a couple instances of small or 1 or 2 year old walleyes being caught recently. 1 was caught in Fontana off one of the Municipal Piers and several by the Lake Geneva Yacht Club. These were in September. Also the DNR fisheries crews finished up their fall fish survey last week using electro-shocking methods of the shallows and came up with 2 young-of-year walleyes. They will be checked against the DNA samples from the parent fish we used at the hatchery last spring. Although this is a very small sample, it has proven very difficult to collect a sample of any of the species that live in the lake, that is representative of the actual population. The fact that the DNR caught 2 and the anglers report several is very good news for the future. If you would like to help with a membership donation or get involved see www.walleyesfortomorrowwalworth.org Thanks for your interest.

Post Your Comment
7/2/13 @ 6:03 PM
Line Snapped
Line Snapped
USER since 12/14/07
Notice to Geneva Fishermen: About the third week of June an angler reported to Geneva Lake Bait and Tackle that his son had caught 6 walleyes between 6-8 inches long, and saw about 50 or 60 of them this size chasing his bait to the surface. I called the angler to ask all the details so I could confirm the report before saying any more about it. I believe the angler caught and saw what he says. He had 2 other people with him. He was fishing with leeches in 15 to 18 fow with a 5' drop shot rig. He caught a few perch as well as the walleye. This report has been provided to DNR. DNR and Walleyes For Tomorrow is trying to see if the hatchery operation is adding to the walleye population on Geneva. These 6-8" walleye are likely from the 2012 WFT hatchery stocking.There is very little natural reproduction and DNR did not stock in 2012. Please report on here or message me if you happen to catch any undersized walleyes on Geneva. It will help us to know when and how often they are seen or caught. Thank You.

Post Your Comment
6/16/13 @ 11:04 PM
Line Snapped
Line Snapped
USER since 12/14/07
In addition to the walleye stocking into Geneva Lake of almost 4 million fry produced from the Walworth Co. Chapter of Walleyes For Tomorrow's hatchery this year, the DNR stocked around 180,000 walleye fingerlings last week. WFT worked with DNR on this stocking effort and helped distribute a good portion of them all around the lake. We hope you will consider buying tickets and attending our Aug.3rd fundraiser at Hemingway's in Lake Geneva so we can keep our hatchery running and stocking the lake. Thanks for the support so far. Tickets for sale at Hemingway's or Jim Pierce @ 1-847-340-5651

Edited on 6/16/13 11:09 PM
Post Your Comment
5/16/13 @ 5:58 AM
Smallmouthguide
Smallmouthguide
USER since 9/15/01
Walleyes for Tomorrow making a stand today!

By Mike Jackson I feel buoyed by a number of angling organizations that dig in and do the necessary stuff to aid the various wings of the Department of Natural Resources agencies.

DNR biologists can't always deliver the goods, because the bosses at the top levels often appear more concerned about being good bureaucrats in front of state lawmakers. It's true here in Illinois as well in Madison, Wis.

Clubs such as Walleyes Unlimited, Salmon Unlimited, the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance and all the state and local muskie groups and bass clubs, as well as Walleyes For Tomorrow, deserve more than a casual attaboy and a pat on the back.

These are true volunteers, angling heroes who typify what volunteerism used to be like 50 years ago.

I tip my hat to guys such as Schaumburg angler Ken Abraham and his cohorts for

supporting a relatively new effort to restore the once-glorious Geneva Lake walleye factory.

Many of you already know that hunting smallmouth bass is my number one pursuit, especially on the Fox and DuPage rivers, and that hard-fighting northern pike grabs the second spot closely followed by cannibalistic, jumbo Canadian lake trout. Largemouth bass falls into the cracks somewhere in there.

When it comes to walleyes, I enjoy catching them for a Canadian or northern Minnesota shore lunch. It's the heavier walleyes that get my attention, and some lakes with less pressure than other popular spots such as Geneva haven't offered many jumbo fish in recent years.

So when Abraham contacted me this spring and filled me in on the efforts of an aggressive new group known as Walleyes for Tomorrow (http://walleyesfortomorrowwalworth.org), my

interest was piqued because private groups often come to the forefront to save the day.

Sources once told me that natural walleye reproduction on Geneva Lake is a rarity.

Enter the Walleye Wagon, a re-built trailer now designed to serve as a hatchery station for walleyes. And all of the activity with these fish is done by volunteer help.

Walleyes For Tomorrow Inc, based in Fond Du Lac, Wis., is a non-profit fisheries conservation organization of dedicated anglers who have a passion for walleye fishing. The group is in its 21st year.

The Walworth County Chapter of Walleyes For Tomorrow was formed in January 2012. There are 15 chapters in Wisconsin, all set up to help further the existence of excellent walleye fishing.

I believe it would be nice if we had an Illinois chapter.

As I said, the organization took a small trailer and converted it to a portable laboratory/hatchery, all staffed by trained volunteers.

This is a more efficient way to reproduce fish, but the drawback is that it's not free. Labor, materials, equipment, shelter and land are all required to raise hatchlings. Transportation of young fish to release sites is necessary and can be costly. Fishing license fees, taxes, donations and fund raising are common sources of revenue used to support fish hatchery operations.

In some cases, state agencies such as the DNR own and regulate all fish hatchery operations. Other states purchase fish from private or out-of-state hatcheries to stock lakes. Some do a combination of all three. The bottom line is that states oversee and regulate the fish stocking of the lakes throughout their regions.

Private organizations that are qualified to stock fish must meet stringent standards.

Walleyes For Tomorrow is one such organization supporting Walleye populations on Geneva Lake.

So what's all this hoopla about?

I previously noted that Geneva Lake, like many others in the Midwest, suffered from extreme fishing pressure and little natural replenishment.

According to Ken Abraham, the Walworth County WFT chapter managed to plant 1.8 million walleye fry in to the lake last year. This year's WFT hatchery production and planting is almost 4 million.

If the surviving young fish do well, we can expect a decent crop of catchable walleyes in years to come.

Edited on 5/16/13 6:01 AM
Post Your Comment
5/13/13 @ 6:22 PM
Line Snapped
Line Snapped
USER since 12/14/07
Hatchery Report: Walleyes For Tomorrow of Walworth County collected 6,078,000 eggs and stocked 3,992,000 fry into Geneva Lake this spawning season. DNR is expected to stock fingerling walleye also this year. Hopefully in a few years the walleye population will show some improvement for all to enjoy. Thanks for your interest and hope to see you at our fundraiser (pig roast/raffles) and August 3rd, 2013 at Hemmingway's, north of the city of Lake Geneva on Hwy H.

Post Your Comment
4/22/13 @ 11:09 AM
Abe
Abe
USER since 6/20/01
On Sunday 4/21/13 the crew filled 9 jars with about 2.5 million eggs, that is about half the jars in the hatchery located at The Abbey in Fontana. Thanks to all that came to help, and if you want to visit your welcome to come to The Abbey, the trailer is located next to the inlet inside the harbor. Visit our web-site to see some pictures and for more info. http://www.walleyesfortomorrowwalworth.org/

Edited on 4/24/13 10:18 AM
Post Your Comment
4/14/13 @ 11:09 PM
Line Snapped
Line Snapped
USER since 12/14/07
Getting the hatchery ready to go. Probably will be some time yet before we collect any eggs as this spring is colder than usual, but stay tuned it will happen eventually. The lake temperature is only 35 degrees.

Post Your Comment
4/14/13 @ 10:09 PM
FISHING BUM
FISHING BUM
USER since 4/29/10
Good luck,this is and always will be a bass lake.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts