Gaff?

2/1/16 @ 2:58 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Why does anyone even own one? In the state of Wisconsin I can only think of a few legitimate reasons to use one. They ALL include killing of fish. Because in my opinion, apparently not others, a gaff should NEVER be used if a fish is intended to be RELEASED. The only reasons I can think of even owning a gaff is for: sturgeon spearing, and bowfishing. All open water activities a net is extremely easier to use. And icefishing to get a fish out of a hole because you know beforehand that you are 100% keeping the fish (Trout, whitefish). Use of a gaff on any fish that is to be released is unethical in my opinion. Ideas? Comments?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
2/3/16 @ 8:19 AM
nubbz07
nubbz07
USER since 12/31/09
I only use them for 3 kinds of fish. sturgeon, whitefish\ciscoe and lawyers. and all of the above I know I'm taking home. whitefish and lawyers are dam slippery.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 4:45 PM
Todd Young
Todd Young
USER since 6/25/15
We used them a long time ago and did use them as a release tool. Glad we have other options now. They have not been legal in the state of New York for many years now.

Muddy Creek Fishing Guides
(724) 674-3839
Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 4:14 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
That's the point though in my thoughts. Why an unnecessary hole if your releasing the fish? What's the point of that. Might as well do it with bass or any other fish then while icefishing. Just risking hitting gills seems pointless.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 4:03 PM
Steve @ G & S
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Not necessarily. I used a gaff when pike fishing through the ice. It was easy to slip the gaff inside the fish's mouth, pop it through their lower jaw and drag the fish from the hole. Then I could control the fish, take the hook out and release them, unharmed except for a small hole in the lower jaw.

Tarpon guides have been doing this in Florida for decades with no harm....

Formerly Steve @ G & S

Post Your Comment