Frozen smelt...Where to get em??

2/9/16 @ 12:11 PM
ORIGINAL POST
wishin4fishin
wishin4fishin
USER since 7/3/06
Looking to buy frozen smelt in bulk for ice fishing. Looking for places, names or phone numbers of where to get some.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
2/21/16 @ 12:07 AM
thefishingboy
thefishingboy
USER since 9/11/04
reinamans hardware store in Burlington...SE Wisconsin

Post Your Comment
2/12/16 @ 6:02 PM
Walleye Wizard
Walleye  Wizard
USER since 6/23/01
Rivers Edge Dells.

Post Your Comment
2/10/16 @ 8:40 PM
ESOX68
ESOX68
USER since 2/21/06
SeaWay on Velp ave. in Green Bay has them. I thought you don't need to salt them if your fishing the bay. Only if you fish inland lakes.

Post Your Comment
2/10/16 @ 6:45 PM
boattech
boattech
MEMBER since 12/22/04
Dick Smith's Live Bait and Tackle in Delafield has smelt.

Post Your Comment
2/10/16 @ 1:36 PM
Deertroller
Deertroller
USER since 4/30/15
Empire Fish in Milwaukee always carries them. Throw some salt in a bag and freeze them. Done.

Post Your Comment
2/9/16 @ 4:48 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
That I wouldn't doubt.

Post Your Comment
2/9/16 @ 4:24 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
My brother used to make homemade fox bait for trapping. After enduring that stuff a screwed up dead bait preservation adventure is like taking a stroll through a field of lilies.

Post Your Comment
2/9/16 @ 3:01 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Salting them isn't too bad but it's messy. The mineral spirits method on the DNR website didn't work for me. I filled my house full of a putrid stench trying that. When I cracked the lid on the jar after 2 weeks, the smell sent me into a yakking fit unrivaled by any college hangover. Don't know what I did wrong (I did slit the body cavities open) but it was really nasty. Puke

Post Your Comment
2/9/16 @ 2:22 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
"The law may have changed, but in Wisconsin you can't use frozen smelt as bait. It needs to be preserved "chemically" because of VHS."

The first part is incorrect. The second part is correct. You can use them and you always could. Even when the VHS rules came into effect you could still use them. You are right on with the 2nd part though and the guidelines for preserving them yourself are outlined in the regulations book. When those rules went into effect, many baitshops stopped selling them because they became a bit of a pain and they didn't sell enough volume to justify carrying them. Some baitshops have always sold them and when you get them from those places that do more often than not they are already salted. The hang up here is that after you use them you have to re-treat them for storage.

Post Your Comment
2/9/16 @ 1:09 PM
Budman
Budman
USER since 8/17/01
The law may have changed, but in Wisconsin you can't use frozen smelt as bait. It needs to be preserved "chemically" because of VHS.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts