SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Flour line digging into spinning reel

7/16/18 @ 8:27 PM
INITIAL POST
thefishingboy
User since 9/11/04

So my flouro P-line is somehow digging into the flip guide on my pfluger President reel. Before this it happened to an expensive Abu reel as well. I have been fishing for over 20 years and never had this happen on spinning gear. What’s going on?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
7/18/18 @ 9:50 AM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
User since 9/26/16
is your hand holding the bail in that more upwards position or does the bail set down flat like it is supposed to. From the pic it looks like your bail is out of line or not sitting all the way down which will cause the line to run out of the roller and rub on the metal like that- just like nihsif said- something maybe out of line.I cant beleive any plastic type line like flouro or mono could actually take material off of a metal- it must me some soft metal. Try the shimano Nasci great reel for 100 dollars or even the stradic also- a little more expensive but my favorite spinning reel of all time. 
7/17/18 @ 3:29 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

that is strange

7/17/18 @ 2:56 PM
thefishingboy
User since 9/11/04
I don’t believe anything is out of line cause it happened to an abu reel before this and it was worse. I broke my line on a hook set on the abu reel cause the line was stuck in the grove. The line was frayed on the abu spool when it got caught and that’s the only reason I noticed it. Checked the President right after and sure enough the groves are there too. I just chucked both reels in the trash cause they are obviously junk. Might as well try different brands I guess.
7/17/18 @ 2:27 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Well.. floro has a harder finish than mono,  maybe harder than braids....

... but that almost looks like something is out of alignment.. ?? Line should be on the roller.. ??

7/17/18 @ 1:58 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

It may be that the President line has very soft metal on the bail. I have a couple reels that are gouged like that, but the President us the worst. Anybody else seen this?

7/17/18 @ 12:44 PM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
User since 9/26/16
wow that is crazy. I have never seen any type of line cut into any fishing reel. I remember the original full blown kevlar braided line from stren when it came out in the early 90's and even that never dug into the metal reel like that. Is that just paint or is that actually taking metal off? I have heard P LINE is pretty good Flouro but I have never used it. I have always used Seaugars and it was pretty good as main line but now I run Power pro on everything and it is the best line I have ever used. I have never had any line cut into a reel like that, maybe you should avoid P LINE and see what happens. Anybody else have this happen? That is the craziest thing ive seen in about a week.Is the line all scuffed and messed up or is it fine?
7/17/18 @ 12:19 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Yep, that’s the downside to floro. Smaller diameter and less stretch compared to the same test mono. So it cuts into the bail much faster than mono. You can order replacement parts from the factory. May as well order two if you are going to continue using floro. It will wear out again. 

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE