Florida Fishing

1/2/17 @ 5:56 PM
ORIGINAL POST
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01

Barring any unseen issues,I'll be heading to Florida for a few weeks this winter. I'm trailering the motorcycle and the canoe. Camping...I'll be starting north of Pensacola,then headed to the Apalachicola NF. From there I plan on a couple campgrounds on the way to the Ocala NF. Stay there a few days then work my way down the gulf coast to Naples,where I'll either stay with relatives or - more likely - in the Big Cypress,then one of the Everglades campgrounds.

I plan a ride down the keys but most likely will just ride the bike. Maybe camp a night or two if I can find a site but probably won't fish.

But everglades and some other tidal creeks and rivers. Maybe some surf'beach fishing or pier fishing...Definitely inland for bream or cats...

I'd like to eat some fish - the length of the trip depends on how little I spend per week - but I don't want to "live" on fish or even make this a "fishing" trip.

The question I've got is about gear: I'd like to be minimalist...and cheap... I have older reels that work just fine. They were primarily walleye reels that have been retired....Good enough for saltwater? I'd like stuff that can do double or triple duty and if it only lasts the trip,so be it.

Rods too. I have plenty of medium action rods that I've used as loaners for folks on my boat...But if I have to buy something I would.

Terminal tackle?...In the everglades and other tidal creeks, I plan on just pitching jigs to eddys for snook,trout,etc...because that's all I've done before but I'm open to suggestions.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone wanted put out there. Thanks in advance.....CDs

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
1/12/17 @ 6:53 AM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09

I got these off of the Bokeelia Fishing Pier on Tuesday with shrimp. The preferred bait was Peeler Crabs, but you need to plan ahead to find them. No all bait shops have them and they run about $7 a dozen. If you have time, they can be collected near the beach.

Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 4:02 PM
Casedog
Casedog
USER since 10/4/11

I caught some nice bass on the small lakes and ponds around Brandon which is 45 minutes southwest of Orlando and about the same distance but just east of Tampa I go down every spring and my biggest is 6lb4oz!! My brother and law who lives down there and fishes 3-5 days a week has still yet to get a 10 pounded! His biggest I believe is right around 9lbs!! PM me if interested!! This year I will be down there 2nd and 3rd week of April!! I might also do a pig hunt this year?? If I remember the pig hunt was pretty affordable? Don't quote me but I think it was $175 for me and nephew from a guy at a local pawn shop! There is plenty of fresh water with huge bluegill! FWIW!

Edited on 1/11/17 4:06 PM
Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 12:24 PM
madcelt
madcelt
USER since 3/13/02

Chris, can you bring me back a small alligator while you are down there.  Just a 2 or 3 footer will do.  Our department's K9 will be retiring soon and I think a gator would make a good replacement.  I need a young one though.  They are easier to train.

Post Your Comment
1/10/17 @ 9:59 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01

Oh...Rodmaker. I forgot to thank you for your offer....But I'm down I Waukesha. Ripon's a drive. Thanks though.

Opted to bring walleye "seconds" and a rod I use for kings jigging the gaps in Milwaukee harbor. Gander-labeled rods I picked up for around $60 ea. Reels maybe a little more than that each. Expendable stuff.....I see I can buy licenses online with my phone and only need my phone as a "license". Convenient... I may skip freshwater fishing as each license is $47. I'm staying a few "extra" days as I got pretty much the last 3 unreserved February days at Bahia Honda SP. Another 4 at Flamingo in the 'Glades and another 4 near Everglades city/10,000 islands.

I'll spend a week or so at Picayune Strand state forest outside Naples. $11/night. No shade. A week or so in Ocala national forest and a few days at Horseshoe beach and Shired Island and Cedar Key area.  Shired island is about the last "boonies" left on the gulf coast. $12/night campsite. BYO-everything,20 miles from the nearest store.

And a week at Wakulla Station/Panacea. $11/night...first few nightsat a NW FL water management district free campsite N of Pensacola. Campsite right on the bay.

Pumped.

Post Your Comment
1/4/17 @ 2:19 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01

Thanks guys.

Post Your Comment
1/3/17 @ 7:31 AM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
USER since 2/5/05

There is a YouTube video for everything.  Florida inshore fish is no exception. Good luck.

Post Your Comment
1/2/17 @ 7:18 PM
rodmaker
rodmaker
USER since 9/21/04

My mom lives in Ft Myers. I have LOTS of places you can beach fish for reds, sea trout etc. i would suggest, and offer to loan you a couple of 3 pc custom spin rods for the trip. Get a DECENT spin reel loaded with braid and take several pound tests of floro along and you will be all set. If you are interested in taking (2) 3 pieces customs along in a short rod tube (easy for packing) PM me. All i ask is that you return the rods and pick me up a specific kind of tshirt while you are down there. Sounds like a GREAT trip. Have fun. Buzz Butters

Post Your Comment
1/2/17 @ 6:28 PM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09

I am going to Fort Myers next week for some pier fishing. I have a small pile of gear stashed down there. The walleye gear will be fine for the most part. It seems that shrimp down there, is like crawlers up here. It the go to bait. Gulp shrimp seem to do well. A MUST is a gold Kastmaster, 1 oz. If you are going to be near Lady fish, a chrome/red Gotcha lure. 

Make sure you rinse everything down when you are done. Salt does bad things to good equipment.

Edited on 1/2/17 6:40 PM
Post Your Comment