Fishing Vacations - Where have you gone?

1/12/18 @ 2:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I thought it would be fun and interesting to see where everyone has gone for fishing vacations.  It may spark an idea in someone else's mind to try something outside the box.  I'd love to do some ocean fishing either in The Gulf or Florida Keys at some point.  Post your destination and what you fished for and caught.

Western Oregon/Oregon Coast – Steelhead & Cutthroat Trout/Sea Bass, Pacific Rockfish, Ling Cod, Wolf Eel, Dungeness Crab

Clark Fork River, MT - Rainbow & Cutthroat Trout

Lake of the Woods, MN – Walleye & Sauger

Kodiak Islands, AK  – King, Sockeye & Silver Salmon, Dolly Varden/Halibut, Black & Red Rockfish, Sablefish, Grey Cod, Arrowtooth Flounder, Octopus, Tanner Crab

Eagle Lake, ON – Booked Spring 2018

Lake Havasu, AZ – Planning Winter 2019

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
1/17/18 @ 6:51 AM
Regjoe
Regjoe
USER since 2/7/06

Fremont in May for a few days  Whites/Eyes

Oshkosh a lot of day trips  Whites/Eyes

Eagle River area in the fall for a week or so Walleyes/Panfish

Doesn't matter where you go as long as you have fun and catch some fish!!

Post Your Comment
1/16/18 @ 10:33 PM
PSE
PSE
MEMBER since 11/25/05

For our honeymoon my wife and I did a fly in fishing trip out of Kabeelo Lodge near Ear Falls Ontario. It was her idea. We flew out of the main lodge. Spent 4 days on a lake all to our selves. Great fishing. Flew out of there twice. Planning another trip there again in the near future.

Post Your Comment
1/16/18 @ 2:08 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

Only thing I try to do every year is make it down to Southern Illinois for the spring Crappie spawn for at least a couple years.  I was late this past year and missed the hot bite.  I normally do Crab Orchard Lake or Kinkaid Lake.  Not only is fishing good, but it's usually about 10-15 degrees warmer in the spring compared to Chicago.  It's nice to be fishing in the 70's in mid April.  Even though the lakes can get busy they are mainly undeveloped with few if any homes or businesses as it's mainly federal land.

Post Your Comment
1/15/18 @ 6:43 PM
wingsnfins
wingsnfins
MEMBER since 10/5/05

Great thread!

Reelfoot Lake TN - Bluegill

Lake Erie - Walleye

Lake Winnibigoshish- Perch (ice)

Lake Sakakawea - Pike (ice)

Wasbaskang Lake - Walleye

Lake St. Clair - Musky

Ottawa River -Musky

BWCA - Walleye, Smallmouth

Lac La Belle - Smallmouth

Bay de Noc - Walleye 

Thats the list thus far of “trips”....some are repeated annually, and some are several times a year!

Post Your Comment
1/15/18 @ 2:46 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

The pilots up there are a special breed.  Our bush pilot that we had for a day the first time I went up was a former Air Force pilot.  He made that Dehaviland Beaver do things I didn't think were possible for a plane built in the 40s or 50s.  Almost lost my lunch as we spiraled up the Hallow Glacier.  Every time we've caught a flight from Anchorage to Kodiak City, it has been on an old 737 retro-fitted to carry cargo.  There's like a dozen or so seats in the tail section where we sat.  The runway in Kodiak is short enough to begin with but was partially under construction on our first trip there.  Never knew a 737 could stop that fast and thank God the seat in front of me was padded as I bounced my face off of it.

Even if it's just one time, anyone who loves to fish has to have that experience before they're pushing up daisies. Truly an incredible place.

Post Your Comment
1/15/18 @ 1:53 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

I would love to get to Alaska. I missed a nice opportunity as a college buddy lived there as a cargo pilot for about 3 years. I saw some of the fish he caught and it looked awesome. I guess after he left I didn't even consider it as an option. Definitely will look back into it. He now lives in Bozeman which I might have to take a trip and toss some flies.

Post Your Comment
1/15/18 @ 1:28 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Bucket,

If you're planning on fishing salmon in WA State, save another year or two and go further north to Alaska.  While I've never fished salmon on the west coast (just steelhead), the returns to the rivers are not what they were years ago.  I'm sure the fishing is still good but Alaska is phenomenal.  Both times I've gone, I've stayed at a remote lodge in the Kodiaks and fished Kodiak and Afognak Islands.  Other than local natives subsistence fishing and the occasional Kodiak Grizzly, we pretty much had the rivers to ourselves.  And there are opportunities for halibut, rockfish and crab.  Sometimes all in the same day.  Food for thought.

Post Your Comment
1/15/18 @ 9:16 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

Canada- Roughrock Lake 3X, LOTW 2X, Eagle Lake 11X, Cedar Lake 6X, Minnitaki Lake 2X

Colorado Fly Fishing- Took a guide out of Boulder and Estes Park

Southern Illinois reservoirs for big bucketmouths

Almost every weekend in Fox Lake

Bucketlist: Gulf redfish, East coast striper, NW Territories Northern Pike, Washington State salmon. Any other recommendations to add to this list would be appreciated.

Post Your Comment
1/14/18 @ 7:10 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04

My job has allowed me to travel most anywhere in country and provides opportunity to fish almost anything if I am willing to drop $600 for a guide.   Instead what I have done is try and pack my fly rod.  Montana cut throats, Utah Brown trout.   I tried Vancouver coho, but could not get them to go.   Fishing a fly deep in 50 foot canyon pool was crazy.  

Sometimes clients or customers will take us out too.  I have done red fish in Venice.   Bass in Sacramento delta and Lake Fork and Mississippi.   All were unique trips that were fun.  I stood next to Mike Icconelli at boat launch while he was prefishing   

Fishing vacations have included Canada and Reelfoot, TN.  Northern Wisconsin is most years now with family    I love lake we go to    

I have promised myself an Alaskan trip.   I will also hit east coast stripers at some point.  I am also wanting to get a monster sturgeon out west 

Edited on 1/14/18 7:12 AM
Post Your Comment
1/14/18 @ 2:26 AM
jkb
jkb
USER since 6/25/02

I used to take several trips a summer to Ontario, the Quetico, Wabigoon, Atikokan lakes, Ignace fly outs, Lac Suel and Cedar Lake were all destinations.  I quit traveling to Canada after I missed my first son’s first steps.  Since then my wife and sons have first vacationed in Vilas county and then 10 years ago we bought our retirement home early in Vilas.  It has been a financial struggle to maintain 2 homes but my sons have been able to experience great fishing year round.

Edited on 1/14/18 2:31 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts