Fishing The Slop.

8/13/18 @ 3:13 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Reba`s daddy
Reba`s daddy
USER since 11/8/16

Recently started fishing the slop for bass in a couple of my favorite spots.Have always been a plastic worm kind of guy but watched a guy tossing frogs in the thick stuff and getting a lot of blow ups and a few nice fish.I have been fairly successful but was missing a lot of fish and losing a lot of fish due to break offs.Yesterday i talked to this guy and he gave a great tip on fishing bass in the weeds.He told me to switch from 12lb.mono to braid.I put on 50lb power pro braid and went out this am.About 20 blow ups, landed 5 bass,no break offs.What a differance the braided line made.Solid hook sets,no stretch.Took a few minutes to adjust to the braid but thinking of putting it on most of my other rods.All the bass were shallow and in the thickest slop there was.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts
8/24/18 @ 10:35 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

Deep weed lines,almost always some there,in my area water temps are going down,so they could be by shore line wood or pads.I went out yesterday and found that the slop is going also.Still there was some, caught five nice fish two pike couple of LB and one smallie.When I get SB they are always on the edge of the slop.

Post Your Comment
8/23/18 @ 9:35 AM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
USER since 9/26/16

Reba- yes, they will be in any offshore weed beds between 3-18 ft. Also deep wedges will always hold all species. Find where the shallow weeds start tapering into the depths of 10-15 ft. If you have a boat, anchor on that drop off and cast parallel to the weed edge. Keep your fish finder on and you will be amazed how that thing will be blowing up with life. It wont stop beeping. It just shows how much life is on a deep weed edge. If your running the right lure or setup, you will get hit.

Post Your Comment
8/23/18 @ 6:21 AM
Reba`s daddy
Reba`s daddy
USER since 11/8/16

The slop in my favorite bass lake is pretty much gone.Lately there has been a crew on the lake vacuuming algea off the lakes shores.Thought it was getting the shore line cleaned up for their national night out thing.All accessable shorelines are now slop free.Where will the bass be now?Maybe the weed line out in around 5-6 ft.Water is high and very muddy like.

Same thing at my favorite spots on the Yahara,Water is high,fast and dirty.Going to give it a rest for a few days and just enjoy the nice weather with Reba.

Post Your Comment
8/20/18 @ 9:47 AM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
USER since 9/26/16

Thats really cool you guys- slop fishing for Pike. Its amazing how cool the water is underneath all of that slop and lily pads. The pike will most likely be around especially in slightly deeper water with a good vegetation cover. I got hung up in a subdivision retention pond once on that netting crap and had to walk through a good amount of slop to get my moss boss un- snagged. The water was 2-5- 4.5 ft deep, it was end of July- Mchenry County N. IL, water temp was around 80 deg but underneath the slop had to be 8-10 degrees colder. It was shocking how much cooler the water was and pike are looking for that cooler water in July and August.

Ken K thats gotta be a heck of a fight! Bigger Pike and Musky in the slop is crazy. The 3 pike I caught a long time ago were nowhere near those sizes- they were fat 26-28 inchers but even that was a great fight. I though I had 5lb bass on and it turned out to be northerns..

Edited on 8/20/18 9:52 AM
Post Your Comment
8/18/18 @ 12:17 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

KEN Yes I lost two  frogs before I got smart,I tied some tyable wire on.They then trashed two more frogs.Still a lot of fun.

Edited on 8/18/18 12:19 PM
Post Your Comment
8/18/18 @ 11:03 AM
KenK
KenK
USER since 6/19/01

The flowage I fish has a ton of pike in the slop.  I make my own 4 inch steel leaders to use on my Weed Demon.  No swivel just the wire and I split ring to the bait.  It is light enough not to detract from the action of the bait.  The Weed Demon is a walk the dog frog.  Pike and bass can't resist.  Pike are a lot harder to hook than bass, but just as much fun even if you are losing them.  I've even caught my share of muskies this way.  The largest was 47 inches.   Unfortunately, the teeth can really tear up your bait.

Edited on 8/18/18 11:14 AM
Post Your Comment
8/18/18 @ 6:50 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

I went out yesterday all I caught was pike,24in to 28.Caught 8,I have caught pike before slop fishing but never like that.

Post Your Comment
8/17/18 @ 2:06 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

I'd like to add that my new favorite frog is the Spro Bronzeye Popper.  Casts just as far as a regular Spro frog, but doubles as a popper in larger sections of open water.

Post Your Comment
8/17/18 @ 9:42 AM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
USER since 9/26/16

I target Pike and walleye but during the dog days of hot summer slop fishing is an absolute blast for largemouth and it makes up the majority of my fishing from mid july until mid september when the water starts to cool. It started for me back in 4th grade when I was dragging a bobber and nightcrawler over the shore slop and the bass were blowing up on the bobber and one hit the hook and worm and I caugh it. I put two and two together and started dragging plastic worms over the slop and catching them. It then turned into fake rats and tournament frogs, then went to moss bosses- which I still use, and now its SPRO frogs which are the finest frog ever made. I love slop fishing its some of the funnest fishing you can do.

I even caught 3 descent Pike slop fishing with moss bosses in Delavan in between the launch bay and the resort. This was back in 98-99

Edited on 8/17/18 1:01 PM
Post Your Comment
8/17/18 @ 9:37 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08

Good posts on here I like a heavier frog,I think it does make a differance.I do not like to make long casts though in heavie cover like that.I use 50lb cortland braid.I go against most guys I like a shorter rod like a 6ft fith a soft tip.Long rods speed,short rods power.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts