Fishing Dad question- teaching kids to read a vexilar

3/17/15 @ 10:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
splashbaits
splashbaits
USER since 5/22/07
Has anybody found a good method or way of explaining to a 5 year old how to read and decipher what they are actually seeing or should be seeing on the fishing finder? Thanks for your help!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
3/28/15 @ 9:34 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
No need to buy expensive flashers. I use my regular graph, black and white boat fish finder on the ice and it worked great. If you look away for a while, if a fish swims thru up high, you can see the arch scrolling by on the screen and adjust bait placement. My daughter used to jig the bait up and down to make zig-zags on the screen.

Post Your Comment
3/21/15 @ 8:24 PM
fillet-o-carp
fillet-o-carp
USER since 12/1/12
I would find a spot with a ton of 5 inch bluegills and have at er

Post Your Comment
3/19/15 @ 9:38 PM
Foundry Rat
Foundry Rat
USER since 1/21/10
Vexilar has some very good tutorials on the web. I just bought a new unit and it came with 2 CD set with some good tutorials and fishing trips. Try contacting them to get a copy. It probably all is available on line also. The fishing trips and tips will be fun and informative.

Post Your Comment
3/19/15 @ 6:57 AM
paddler1
paddler1
MEMBER since 12/10/14
I don't have kids but I imagine teaching them how to use a Vexilar wouldn't be much different than teaching a VERY RELUCTANT 83 year old ! First, it helps to be on some cooperative fish. With the gain adjusted correctly you can show them the depth of the water you're fishing and how their bait shows on the depthfinder. Move the bait up and down so they can see how the movement is shown. You then can explain the other different color marks they're seeing and how the colors change to red as those other marks get closer to their mark. Explain that once it looks like the now, red other mark looks like its on top of their green mark they better be ready because a fish is about to be on the end of their line! Rinse and repeat!! Wink

Post Your Comment