SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Fishing advice

7/28/18 @ 4:15 PM
INITIAL POST
Snuff8
User since 6/16/14

Does anyone have an idea for how I can slow down motor for trolling? Im Trying to get around 1.2-1.5 and haven’t used a drift sock before. I know I would probably run out of trolling motor battery after a couple of hours if I only used that. Any advice/recommendations help.

thanks

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
9/5/18 @ 9:14 PM
BugBaiter
User since 10/3/17

2 batteries works great

I can go all day

8/20/18 @ 10:06 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I have buddies that will troll with their 150's.  They will throw out a small drift sock on each side of the boat in the front.  If you only toss one sock, the boat will pull to one side.

8/18/18 @ 7:00 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

With my 60 Merc on 18' Crestliner my average trolling speed is 2.5, if I toss out a bucket can get it down to 1.5 depending on wind or current. If I choose to go slower use trolling motor can get about 4 hours out of a full charge.

8/1/18 @ 9:25 AM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

Your best option is to get a 36 volt minn Kota with I-pilot.  Put the waves at your stern and the motor doesn’t have to run as hard.  Most boats get 12-20 hours on a charge that way.  I get 6 hours on my 70lb / 24v without an issue.  Maybe longer but I haven’t been out longer than that.  You will take waves over the stern at times, but something I am comfortable with.  

the i-pilot also allows you to steer the boat to gps or navigational north, so you can fish so much easier.  The only negative is going slow when the waves are pushing you too fast.  I can get 1.5-1.7 mph with a 10+ mph wind and waves, which is too fast for harnesses. So I have to go about 30-45 degrees off the back of the stern to slow down. 

i would never consider a kicker unless you plan on fishing salmon at much higher speeds.  

7/31/18 @ 5:17 PM
AnchorClankor
User since 1/29/12

There are fin plates, the name is Whale Tail, eliminates the use of drift socks and when you don't need it, it will disengage, so you can still run with any hampering effects, it does run around $100.

7/31/18 @ 6:36 AM
FISHING REPORT
Tuffy101
Tuffy101
User since 2/25/18

Cabelas sells trim tabs that fold don for trolling

7/31/18 @ 4:15 AM
Longduckdong
User since 6/26/18

Unfortunately, I have the same problem.  I have a 115hp merc, and run two 18" socks, the lowest I can get is 1.9.  Maybe I should've gone with 24" socks

7/29/18 @ 7:21 PM
Snuff8
User since 6/16/14

Thanks for the help guys, I think I’m going to just get a drift sock, those troll plates seem good but I just don’t know if it’ll be a good speed or not. And I have actually tried a 5 gallon bucket but I would probably need a few to get it down.

Much appreciated 

7/28/18 @ 9:01 PM
BigAlseyes
User since 3/20/16

Depending on how your batteries are set up, you may be able to run your engine in neutral so it continues to charge the batteries and run your trolling motor

7/28/18 @ 8:48 PM
Reel-therapy
User since 4/5/18

tie a 5 gallon bucket on to the boat and toss it over

https://www.lake-link.com/forums/General-Fishing-Discussion/discuss.cfm/89601/Using-buckets-to-slow-trolling-speeds

7/28/18 @ 8:16 PM
Adamapl
User since 10/21/09

Cabelas troll n go plate on my 115 4 stroke merc 15 pitch prop. Can get down to 0.9 mph now previosly 2.5 ish was as slow as i could go. Just put on this season, no problems so far.

Other guys do like to use the socks. Changing prop pitch can also be effective in some scenarios.

Hope this helps

7/28/18 @ 4:25 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Possibly a four blade prop.

7/28/18 @ 4:18 PM
Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE