Fellow Fishing Dads....can you help??

7/5/14 @ 12:29 PM
ORIGINAL POST
splashbaits
splashbaits
USER since 5/22/07
I am a dad of 3 kids and live in Wisconsin. I am starting up a website called(FishingDad.com) and want it to be a place fellow dads can go to so they can learn tips and tricks to have a successful fishing trip. I would appreciate it very very much if you would be willing to help me out. If you could either email/post here or on (FishingDad.com) some tips/tricks/success stories/not so successful stories and/or a testimonial of how learning to fish as a kid has change your life or your kids I would be very grateful. Thank you so much! Brian Give a kid a fish they have fun for a day. Teach a kid to fish they have fun for a lifetime. Brian
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts
3/18/15 @ 9:20 PM
splashbaits
splashbaits
USER since 5/22/07
Thank you all for the awesome tips. Is anybody willing to share their favorite story fishing with their dad or kids and have pictures of it? If so, please let me know, I'm looking to share some "real" stories and not only stories from the pros/guides on fishingdad.com. Thanks everyone!

Post Your Comment
11/2/14 @ 12:28 AM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01
Took her for some fast action small bluegills. She demanded we bring the fly rod in october. We caught dozens then stopped at a kwiktrip a block away for some treats. They little rascal actually used my fly rod and landed a bluegill on her second cast. I think I was in 5th grade when I did that myself.....

Post Your Comment
11/1/14 @ 10:23 PM
splashbaits
splashbaits
USER since 5/22/07
Crawdaddy and Bass addic, thanks for.the great info. Both your stories is the whole premise/motivation behind fishingdad.com. Thank you so much for sharing.

Post Your Comment
10/31/14 @ 10:05 PM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01
Let my 6 yr old daughter pick the spot this summer. It was a spot below a dam with a playground just 50 yards away. Did not expect much..... she hooked into a nice smallmouth. I grabbed the phone and videoed it. Awesome fight. Fat 17" smally. She is still showing off her video. Caught a lot more than a fish that day...

Post Your Comment
10/31/14 @ 9:56 PM
bassaddic
bassaddic
USER since 8/20/07
I have 2 boys, 8 and 5, and they have been in the boat with me since day 1. A lot of good advise already on here. I always let them drive the boat, pick where to fish and what they want to use. Sometimes its bobbers and worms other times its beetle spins and mepps spinners. My 8 year old learned how to use a bait caster this year and fishes tournaments this year. I always make sure to have plenty of food and drinks in the boat. I will bring a dvd player with if they want to take a break and watch a show. It rarely gets used though. One last thing is to remember that the day is about them. I still struggle with that sometimes. I need to get better at the leave when they want to leave part. I am 36 and still treasure the time spent fishing with my Dad. He is the reason I fish to this day.

Post Your Comment
10/17/14 @ 12:51 PM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
USER since 1/1/10
The closest chapter we have for fox valley area currently is our Meadowview chapter and monthy meetings are held in New Lisbon. Kamo will continue to grow and open to discussing new chpater locations if we feel the support and efforts of locals is there. Feel free to message me if you would like more information or to just talk about the Kamo group. Also there is more information on our website kamokids.org

Post Your Comment
10/15/14 @ 9:53 PM
splashbaits
splashbaits
USER since 5/22/07
FishFinder101- that is so cool you are a VP of a chapter. That sounds amazing and a very rewarding/worthy cause. It looks like there isn't a chapter in the Fox Valley area. Do you know if there are any plans to start one in the Fox Valley area?

Post Your Comment
8/15/14 @ 3:18 PM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
USER since 1/1/10
There is an Organization called K.A.M.O, Kids And Mentors Outdoors that has been growing throughout Wisconsin since 2006. We have 7 Chapters spread out throughout the state with a couple more in the works as we speak. The whole idea behind kamo is to get kids more involved with the outdoors where often they may not have the chance for whatever reason. I'm the Vice President of a newly started chapter in Poynette, Wi. if anyone wouldl like more information on it. Or they can go to our website kamokids.org. I think what the Original poster is doing is what many others should be doing as well. My hat is off to you for all your efforts in getting your boys outside. I will also spread the word about your website. If you'd ever like to get involved with KAMO or attend any of our hunting or fishing events for kids let me know.

Post Your Comment
8/10/14 @ 8:08 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
Bought two $11 rods for my 2 1/2 year old boys. Didn't expect much, but by the end of the day they both have them figured out and they are their new favorite toys.

Post Your Comment
7/17/14 @ 6:55 PM
TKfishes
TKfishes
USER since 8/23/09
I found that not controlling every aspect of the trip and remembering that it isn't about you and them fishing together its about them fishing period! What mean is let them decide a few spots to fish and let them fish (cast reel tangle there rod) then help when they ask for it. Keep explanations simple DO NOT GET FRUSTRATED..... if you do don't show it.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts