EXTEND THE NORTHERN WISCONSIN GAMEFISH ICE FISHING SEASON?

3/21/13 @ 3:02 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishinmachine
fishinmachine
USER since 10/7/10
Currently the Gamefish Ice Fishing Season for Wisconsin inland lakes is the 1st Sunday in March of every year. The average ice out for Northern Wisconsins lakes is mid-April. Why not extend the Gamefish ice fishing season in Northern Wisconsin? Us in Northern Wisconsin have to stare at ice for 40+ days and can only fish for Panfish. Most of the Lakes are like ghost towns. This does not seem right.....Our businesses and local economies could really benefit for another week or two from people visiting our communities at a time of year when the Northwoods is dead. It makes no sense to me. Am I the only one questioning this? What do you think?
Edited on 3/25/13 9:01 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 35 Posts
1/30/17 @ 6:24 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

Absolutely the gamefish season should be extended up here. The U.P of Michigan goes till March 15 and they still have an outstanding fishery. Fish spawn many weeks earlier in Southern Wi. You just can't compare the two regions and have a blanket rule in my opinion. There is not much to do up here in March / April and pan fishing just isn't my thing. Catch and release season would be my proposal until  April 1st. I've been on ice in April every year I've been up here as the ice seems to last forever. I do see one potential problem and that's getting bait. Bait shops really scale back mid February it seems on their big stuff and I don't know if there would be enough people fishing to keep them getting their shiners/suckers in through March. 

Post Your Comment
3/5/15 @ 12:31 PM
pool 9 cathunter
pool 9 cathunter
USER since 9/23/14
Personally I don't care because I mostly fish places open year round. I think a catch and release season for the whole state would be good or have maximum size limits for March which would never happen. I think winter harvest is already too high for it to continue through March.

Post Your Comment
3/5/15 @ 12:16 PM
fishinmachine
fishinmachine
USER since 10/7/10
Already has been submitted about 5 years ago. Put on hold because the DNR was exploring opening the season year round with no close of the season. I think we know thats not gonna happen. The whole process of submitting questions to vote on is a joke and takes Way too long. Way too long. Way too long. Joke.

Post Your Comment
3/5/15 @ 6:26 AM
buckmaster69
buckmaster69
USER since 1/24/11
Why don't you submit this at the spring hearings in April. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
3/4/15 @ 10:54 PM
fishinmachine
fishinmachine
USER since 10/7/10
HERE WE GO AGAIN WISCONSIN. The Gamefish Season is closed as of March 2nd Statewide. This makes absolutely no sense! PLEASE EXTEND THE GAMEFISH SEASON IN CENTRAL AND NORTHERN WISCONSIN! How cool would it be to head to North once the season closes in Southern WI? Instead, you can either just fish Panfish or just watch the ice melt. THIS IS A NO BRAINER!!

I propose the close of the WI Gamefish Season - inland waters to be as follows:

Southern WI (south of hwy 10) same - 1st Sunday in March. Central WI (South of hwy 8 & North of hwy 10) 2nd Sunday in March. Northern WI (North of hwy 10) 3rd Sunday in March.

Please contact your local DNR fisheries person.

Post Your Comment
3/12/14 @ 11:48 AM
fishinmachine
fishinmachine
USER since 10/7/10
?

Post Your Comment
3/5/14 @ 8:12 PM
Yoter
Yoter
USER since 5/31/09
It doesn't matter what month you catch them, they are all spawners.

Post Your Comment
3/5/14 @ 3:49 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
yep but it doesn't protect them since half the time there spawning at the end of may early june. I don't believe fishing for spawning fish hurts them unless you keep them

Post Your Comment
3/4/14 @ 9:52 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
If I recall correctly, in the 1960s and 70s the season stayed open until March 15. Had colder winters then so most fish didnt spawn as early as they do the past 20 years.

Post Your Comment
3/4/14 @ 9:49 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
No one should consider the past 2 winters as an indication of future winters. These 2 years are considered anomolous, unlikely to repeat. While the eastern half of the US has been under a bubble of artic air, the western half has been warmer and dryer than normal. Globally this winter has been warmer than normal.

The reason for our severe cold spell is an severe warming in the startoshpere over the artic. Yep, severe warming has led to our severe cold. Conditions like this are not expected to last for too many years into the future. It is only by chance, too that the cold bubble ended up in the eastern US. If this severe stratosheric warming happens in the future the artic bubble could be displaced into another part of the northern hemisphere, such as it was in Europe and Siberia a few times over the past decade.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 35 Posts