dull electric fillet knife blades

3/12/14 @ 8:19 AM
ORIGINAL POST
onetogo
onetogo
MEMBER since 6/21/11
Does anyone know where to get electric fillet knife blades sharpened?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
7/28/15 @ 3:52 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
Saw a set at Wal Mart the other night in the sporting goods department for 6 bucks. I think new is the way to go.

Post Your Comment
7/28/15 @ 5:37 AM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01
You can pay someone a few bucks to cut your grass and firewood and change your oil in your truck also if you like...........

Post Your Comment
7/27/15 @ 11:30 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
For the few bucks that they cost, just pick up a new set.

Post Your Comment
7/25/15 @ 7:13 PM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01
This is the way I have been doing them for 30+ years. I take a 1" wide x 5" long X 3/16"wide hone stone(The width has to be less than the tip to tip dimension of the blade) and sand a radius on one edge with a belt sander. As you can see in the crude drawing I made you need to tilt the stone a little sideways to sharpen the full pocket (#2 on drawing). If you keep it at 90 Degrees to the blade you will only sharpen the bottom of the pocket(#1 on drawing). Almost all cutting is done with the tips of the blade(#3 on drawing). You also need to tilt the stone down a little to try to match the original sharpening angle. I start at one end of the blade and give each pocket a few strokes going away from me. When done with that I lightly hit the flat part of the blade with the flat part of the stone to remove any burrs that may have been raised. It is actually simple and takes only a minute or so to get them back to new condition. Also if you have more than one set you may want to keep them in pairs, the older they are the smaller the teeth may become after a few years and you could have a miss-matched set........

Post Your Comment
12/19/14 @ 9:55 AM
Otter Box
Otter Box
USER since 12/10/14
Fleet Farm has replacements on sale all the time for Electric Fisherman for $8.00 all the time. They last a year if you clean a lot of fish, so to worry about $8.00 a year seems pretty pointless I think most guys have guns, bows, tree stands, auger, shack, truck or car, some with atv's or sleds, so that is why I say the replacements only being $8.00 seems a bit odd to worry about per year. Once learning the small curve with an electric, it will makes cleaning fish so easy and so much faster than a regular fillet knife.

Post Your Comment
12/18/14 @ 8:29 PM
netem1
netem1
USER since 12/25/12
Good luck. I tried various methods to re sharpen the blades with poor results. The factory won't do it either. I have 3 dull blades sitting in the basement and figured it was time to go back to a regular manual fillet knife.

Post Your Comment
12/6/14 @ 5:47 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
i run my rapala ones through the electric knife sharpener and works well.

Post Your Comment
11/17/14 @ 8:57 PM
Brian Hammarsten
Hammar
USER since 4/5/10
I typically replace mine when dull. They are less than $10 and they seem to be pretty universal.

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
Post Your Comment
11/6/14 @ 5:10 PM
1up
1up
USER since 7/22/06
RIEBE TOOL AND SAW SHARPENING IN OCONOMOWOC WILL DO THEM FOR 3 BUCKS I THINK BUT HE WILL ALSO TELL YOU CAN ONLY DO A COUPLE OR THREE TIMES

https://plus.google.com/115262382633258615110/about?gl=us&hl=en

Post Your Comment
11/6/14 @ 11:34 AM
wtw_fisherman
wtw_fisherman
USER since 8/12/09
I have used a Steel like a chief does, but only one ide and in both directions, one blade at a time. A scissors sharpener would work too, but sharpen in both directions. You can buy new ones. Big Smile Big Smile

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts