MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Do I really need a 4WD to haul my boat

4/22/18 @ 4:53 PM
INITIAL POST
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15
I mostly fish Lake Michigan out of Milwaukee.  The boat plus trailer weighs around 5500 lbs.  The McKinley, Bender, and National ramps are pretty good.  South Shore can be dodgy.  I can see a 4WD being useful if it is slippery or sandy at South Shore.  Is anybody launching and retrieving something of that size with 2WD?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
5/21/18 @ 9:12 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Right, 85% of the time, 2 wheel will do what is needed.  It is the other 155 of the time that you will be glad you had it.

5/13/18 @ 6:05 AM
poptop
User since 10/1/03

Better to have and not need. 

Than to need and not have. 

Plus resale value is much better on a 4x4

5/5/18 @ 9:47 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15
Went with an '06 Pathfinder 4WD.  Rated for 6000lbs.  Curb weight is 4800lbs.  GCWR is 11133.  Boat+trailer is ~5500lbs.  Has zero problems with pulling and retrieving the boat.  Didn't need 4WD so far, not even close.  Hydraulic brakes on trailer make stopping no issue at all.
4/29/18 @ 8:11 PM
ttreebark
ttreebark
User since 7/6/06

I used a 78 GMC  shorty Van for 15 years to pull boat. Had issues from time to time.

4WD usually has more ground clearance, for sharp drop ramps and long shallow ramps. I do miss that van, was like driving the Mystery Machine.

4/27/18 @ 7:45 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

For as much as I use 4WD, it seems a waste of money for me to have one.  It's great for winter storms and the occasional dirt trail during hunting season.  But as some have indicated, it's sure a good feeling to know that you have it when you need it.  I pulled a boat with a 2WD pickup for a few years without much trouble.  I did have to get towed out of a launch in March when ice formed on the concrete ramp and buried the back tires on a dirt/gravel launch in northern Wisconsin when we first got the place up north.  I now use 4 low whenever I'm recovering a boat on a dirt or gravel launch.  It saves on the launch and prevents the back tires from digging in.  I've even used it on steep concrete launches when I can keep the wheels straight.  It just tugs the rig out smoother.  But if all you do is launch and recover on a good concrete ramp during months when ice isn't a factor, you're probably OK 99% of the time.

4/27/18 @ 6:56 AM
Major Mark
Major Mark
User since 5/20/05

Front wheel drive is NOT a good idea from one experience I'm been part of. My father-in-law bought a glastron boat years ago & we went fishing at Pewaukee Lake.  He pulled it with his FWD minivan.  When we tried to pull the rig back out at the launch the pavement was wet & all his tires did was spin & slide back towards the lake.  The only way we got out was to start the outboard & use it to push the van/trlr up far enough until he got traction.  FWD gets to light on the drive tires with the weight of a trlr on the hitch.  Almost had the van in the lake...

4/26/18 @ 9:05 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Back before 4wd trucks became popular  most everything was pulled by rear wd sedans. I saw some big boats being pulled and launched that way in Lake Bluff.  Good idea to bring your own tow strap and a 20 dollar bill incase you need help. (of course you have to also know where to hook up your vehicle cuz the other guy might not care if he pulls your bumper off. )

4/26/18 @ 8:44 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I agree, I don’t use 4wd with any frequency at the boat launch, but every now and then it is a life saver.  

One time I’m fairly confident I would have been in the drink without it.  

It was 5 years ago, I found the thread I made in 2013

4wd saved the day!  It’s funny to look back on, but it was pretty scary at the time!  

4/23/18 @ 2:33 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

My buddy pulls my other buddy's 24 ft pontoon with ease with a 2wd Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 v8.  I guarantee with the 115hp motor and all the gear its over 4500lbs.

4/23/18 @ 9:44 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

Perhaps have answered my own question. 

Back in the late 80s I towed a 25' Catalina.  Boat and trailer were ~6000 to 6500lbs.  I pulled it with a beater 2wd GMC truck with a 454.   I had no problems putting it in or pulling it out, but I only did that a couple times a year and the ramp was good.  Back in the day, most towing vehicles were 2WD.

4/23/18 @ 12:07 AM
5bass4rbs
User since 5/14/11

most 2 wheel drives that at the least have class 3 hitch will only pull 3000.

suggest awd or 4wd. good luck.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE