Do electronics affect fish?

2/24/15 @ 10:57 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
I've always believed that there are times when going over a school of fish repeatedly puts them in a negative mood. I'm not saying all the time, but I do believe that there are times when it can really put the off. What do you think? The new units put out a lot of power!
Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 16 of 16 Posts
2/25/15 @ 8:30 PM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04
On Lake Michigan, I tend to doubt it. If anything they spook more because of seeing a boat in clear water. As far as hearing pings; I tried swimming under my boat and when I surfaced and looked at my sonar screen, it wasn't much different looking a signature than if a sturgeon swam thru. Don't remember hearing anything (but a fish might). Does a submerged camera and cable spook fish? I have a small, underwater camera that I used to take pics of bluegills under some docked boats. This nice fish came right up to the camera for a portrait. I think it was attracted to my shiny camera. If guys keep dropping phones down the hole, the fish might be able to network better to avoid being caught and ice fishing could get worse. That would be bad....

Post Your Comment
2/25/15 @ 9:09 AM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
In the summer I will jump out and swim and have put my hand or foot below the transducer. It does not feel good. I thought maybe I could feel it because I was grounded to the boat by touching the boat but even when I'm not I can still feel it and certain fish can as well. It's a dull ache feeling that is not comfortable at all. While ice fishing I prefer to not use a locator but haven't personally noticed if it affects fish or not. I can't imagine they can't feel or hear it though.

Post Your Comment
2/25/15 @ 7:15 AM
paddler1
paddler1
MEMBER since 12/10/14
I've always wondered the same thing. Put your ear to a transducer and you can hear the clicking of the sonar pings. Fish have to be able to hear(feel) this. Does it put them off? I think it depends on their mood. Why can we sit on top of them and jig'em up all the while watching the action?

Edited on 2/25/15 10:16 PM
Post Your Comment
2/24/15 @ 4:38 PM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
First time I ever thought about it was back in the days of the green box flasher. I lowered the transducer into my aquarium, and the fish went nuts. HMMMM. Then when the paper graphs came out, and they were pushing a ton of peak to peak power, I noticed my first pass many times over a spot showed lots of fish, but my return passes showed either the fish tight to the bottom or gone completely.

So with todays high power units, it makes me wonder.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
2/24/15 @ 3:44 PM
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
USER since 5/17/01
I have to say this is something that I have not paid a lot of attention to. I will definitely think about it this year when I am out. It will be interesting to hear some of the feedback.

Post Your Comment