Do electronics affect fish?

2/24/15 @ 10:57 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
I've always believed that there are times when going over a school of fish repeatedly puts them in a negative mood. I'm not saying all the time, but I do believe that there are times when it can really put the off. What do you think? The new units put out a lot of power!
Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
3/2/15 @ 10:51 PM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
There's a lot of guys and professional fisherman who think the tick, tick, tick from the transducer spook fish in shallow water. But if you read the Lowrance tutorial they claim fish can not hear it. My opinion is, most fish if spooked are done so more from a trolling motor or from noise within the boat. I have to constantly remind myself to keep the trolling motor on a slow constant speed rather than bump on high and get off...bump and get off. I'm more concerned about that and making longer casts to spots than I am about the transducer noise or the sonar effects.

Post Your Comment
2/28/15 @ 2:07 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
I have an older unit that I put on manual and can adjust the "volume" down enough 'till it just shows. After spotting some arches while moving slowly around, I anchor and drop a spoon down and I see fish come up to it on my finder screen. Not much unlike when ice fishing today. I watch my spoon jigging upward and see a fish follow and hit. Knowing fish are down there is half the battle. I'll give up my sonar when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Post Your Comment
2/27/15 @ 5:57 PM
Fletch Sweeney
Fletch Sweeney
USER since 1/17/10
"Has this ever happened to you? You get to your intended spot to fish, and your electronics show a bunch of fish and they are up off the bottom a foot or two. You make a pass, but on your return trip through they have magically disappeared. Hmmm, ever wonder why?"

Nope, motor noise, boat movement, or they just moved on their own (they often do that you know Smile They're not far away.

Post Your Comment
2/27/15 @ 2:10 PM
Higgs
Higgs
USER since 1/14/13
NoPe. Never really had a problem unless it's a camera. They can see that

Post Your Comment
2/27/15 @ 1:41 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I'm sure that fish can sense the pings from a sonar. How much it affects them is probably similar to how light conditions, boat or snowmobile noise and barometer affects them. There have been plenty of times where I've been over a school of fish and they won't bite and vice versa. Is it my electronics? I too have not given that much thought but the idea has merit.

I know from experience that boom shockers affect fish. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
2/27/15 @ 1:29 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
I have thought of this before as well. I've fished numerous times next to someone in the same shack that didn't have a flasher while I did. Seen numerous times when a large predator sits just below my hole and not my buddies. I've seen this with pike gar and musky now. And this is when I have NOT caught fish. Maybe it can actually attract predators? Possibly a wounded fish "feeling"? They make those sonar things that are supposed to simulate feeding. ...

Post Your Comment
2/27/15 @ 12:53 PM
MaineJim
MaineJim
USER since 2/26/15
I think under certain circumstances they can have a negative effect. If one is fishing shallow and sight fishing it probably makes sense to shut the units down (lets face it many of us can be up there bank beating and have not one but two units running)if the fish are already skittish why do some thing that could be making them more skittish? And yes todays units are pretty powerful. Do I always need my 898 on with the side finder running? Probably not. I may try and be more aware of this, hell it can't hurt to be more aware of the possible effect.

Post Your Comment
2/27/15 @ 12:34 PM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
Has this ever happened to you? You get to your intended spot to fish, and your electronics show a bunch of fish and they are up off the bottom a foot or two. You make a pass, but on your return trip through they have magically disappeared. Hmmm, ever wonder why?

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
2/27/15 @ 12:07 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I was fishing Lake Fork for bass and the guy I was with insisted that you needed to turn off your electronics when targeting spooky spawning fish. Anything to alert your presence would hurt bite.

I dont worry about it though when I fish.

Post Your Comment
2/26/15 @ 9:15 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
interesting perspective/thought/question

... maybe it depends on the lake and how much traffic it bears?

lakes around hear are multi-use lakes and busy, and fish still get caught

ice fishers with flashers/finders would probably think ...not so much

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts