Different types of leeches

4/21/14 @ 4:24 PM
ORIGINAL POST
HawgHunter11
HawgHunter11
USER since 11/29/10
I have a pond with leeches in it and i was thinking about trapping them out. I caught a couple by the dock last year and they looked different than the ones you buy from the bait shop. I did a little research on the kind of leech and came up with it being a medicine leech. I was curious if anyone has had any experience or luck with this type of leech.
Edited on 5/6/15 6:51 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
5/6/15 @ 6:53 PM
HawgHunter11
HawgHunter11
USER since 11/29/10
Never got a chance to trap them last year. Looking to see if anyone can shed some more light on this for me. Thanks!

Post Your Comment
5/4/14 @ 10:24 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
The leeches sold in bait stores are not the parasitic leeches that suck blood. The common bait leeches live in the muck and sediments hunting for smaller bugs that live there. They are "predatory" leeches. They seem to be the hot bait some summers at the lake I fish in Minnesota. Not so much in Green Bay.

Edited on 5/4/14 10:28 PM
Post Your Comment
5/4/14 @ 1:07 AM
GROUPER
GROUPER
USER since 12/6/02
Black leeches are good. In Canada we only get walleyes on black, brown are garbage.

Post Your Comment
5/2/14 @ 4:22 PM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
USER since 1/1/10
the ones you want for fishing are called Ribbon Leeches, the fish can tell the difference between the two. Best place to find and trap Ribbon leeches is in lakes and ponds that have had a total fish kill or very shallow. the kinds of lakes that freeze all the way and have very little oxygen content. Best time to catch them is at night and check your traps early inthe morning, if you dont check them early enough the leeches will leave the traps. Beef liver in a coffee can with small holes works great, take it out to a silted pond about knee deep.

Post Your Comment
4/22/14 @ 8:28 AM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
" in the store are the kind that eat dead fish and stuff, not blood "

That's right. The one that are good are the black ones. The bloodsuckers are brown with very small brown dots. They must admit a foul order and must taste bad to the fish.

Post Your Comment
4/22/14 @ 6:25 AM
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
they are no good for bait, the leeches you buy in the store are the kind that eat dead fish and stuff, not blood

Post Your Comment