Delavan Lake and Weed Control

2/12/14 @ 11:18 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Lundman1
Lundman1
USER since 2/12/14
Just got off the phone with Charlie Handel. He is the head of the Delavan Lakes Sanitary District and is part of the decision process on whether they are going to spray for weeds or not and if so where. He was very nice and we had a great conversation. He mentioned that the last two years the only places they sprayed on Delavan was in the two bays on the opposite end of the lake where the main launch is and also the main launch area and the areas under the road. People were complaining that they could not get their boats out with all the weeds there. They spray for Duckweed and Algae. He also mentioned that the last time they sprayed the main lake for weeds was 8 to 9 years ago. I like many of you have see a significant decrease in the amount of fish landed in the lake. I love panfish but enjoy catching bass and northern once in a while also. Last year was not as good as years before. The main reason for this according to Mr. Handel was the runoff of water and soil from the surrounding farmers lands due to the warm and moist spring we had. This had more to do with the weeds being down as any spraying they did. Like I said, Mr. Handel was really nice and open about this subject. He cares about the lake as much as we do. He suggested when the new DNR guy has taken over as Doug Welch will retire this year, we could maybe have a meeting and sit down with the two of them and discuss the spraying of weeds, fish limits (size and count) and other matters that are of concern to us fishermen. I will try and keep it posted and keep you informed if you want to come to the meeting. Hope this helps and look for more posts in the near future.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts
5/27/15 @ 2:50 PM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
MEMBER since 3/14/06
I haven't fished Delavan in the boat yet this year. But I ice fished it all winter last year and the year before when everyone complained about the lack of weeds. They are there! Just find them, adapt and catch them. What's the old saying we've seen on t-shirts and such? Shut Up and FISH! It's called fishing not catching!!

Edited on 5/27/15 3:11 PM
Post Your Comment
5/26/15 @ 6:36 PM
MEMBER since 3/14/06
I am definitely no biologist, but I don't think there is any outside influence to what's going on. Just mother nature! Things cycle and change all the time. Right now, Lake Geneva is the clearest I've seen it in 3-4 years. I think it's the commies!! Big Smile

Post Your Comment
5/25/15 @ 9:31 AM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Yes it has. Thanks ADIDAS. Anyway, is there anyone who truly knows why there is such a massive filamentous algae bloom this year? I am guessing fertilizer on lawns, just guessing mind you. This does happen every year to some extent, just out of control this year. Plenty of weeds, which are completely weighted down and obscured by the algae. Not gonna fish there until the algae has abated or the pannies are back to deep drop-offs/weed edges (mid-summer).

Post Your Comment
5/24/15 @ 2:39 PM
MEMBER since 3/14/06
Thought I'd pull this thread to the top as the whining has started again on the Delavan fishing REPORT thread!

Post Your Comment
11/12/14 @ 7:38 PM
Line Snapped
Line Snapped
USER since 12/14/07
WEED UPDATE. The weeds are very healthy right now. There is an abundance of weed growth and they are all over the place from 14 feet deep and shallower. Water is crystal clear, unlike last year's late algae bloom that kept the sunlight from penetrating more than a foot.

Post Your Comment
8/20/14 @ 2:31 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
Go to the Mississippi in sept oct look at some of the landings and you will see why you control duck weed while you still can.

Post Your Comment
8/20/14 @ 1:59 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
have you ever been there when they have brooms at the launch so you can TRY to remove all the duckweed from your boat?

That stuff is a mess... I would pay if they installed a couple/three power washers so you have at least a decent chance at getting that mess off your boat and trailer... would imagine it's not so much fun for water intakes either

Post Your Comment
8/20/14 @ 1:45 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Everybody knows that all gov't agencies never screw anything up. Ever.

Post Your Comment
8/20/14 @ 12:17 PM
KenK
KenK
USER since 6/19/01
I'm still trying to wrap my head around controlling duckweed of all weeds! Wondering

Post Your Comment
8/20/14 @ 10:53 AM
Fish N Phil
Fish N Phil
USER since 6/15/01
Michael G, if you would have looked at the LD50 for this product you would have noticed it is above any rate that is legal to use. I have worked within the lake and pond management industry for 7 years. What people fail to understand is how these products work and what actually causes fish and invertabrates to die. In most cases, I wont say all because there are irresponsible people out there, a die off is due to loss of oxygen from the dieing and decaying plant material. If used responsibly and according to the label these products, including Clipper, are very effective and useful tools for managing aquatic plants.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts