SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Delavan Lake and Weed Control

2/12/14 @ 12:18 PM
INITIAL POST
Lundman1
User since 2/12/14
Just got off the phone with Charlie Handel. He is the head of the Delavan Lakes Sanitary District and is part of the decision process on whether they are going to spray for weeds or not and if so where. He was very nice and we had a great conversation. He mentioned that the last two years the only places they sprayed on Delavan was in the two bays on the opposite end of the lake where the main launch is and also the main launch area and the areas under the road. People were complaining that they could not get their boats out with all the weeds there. They spray for Duckweed and Algae. He also mentioned that the last time they sprayed the main lake for weeds was 8 to 9 years ago. I like many of you have see a significant decrease in the amount of fish landed in the lake. I love panfish but enjoy catching bass and northern once in a while also. Last year was not as good as years before. The main reason for this according to Mr. Handel was the runoff of water and soil from the surrounding farmers lands due to the warm and moist spring we had. This had more to do with the weeds being down as any spraying they did. Like I said, Mr. Handel was really nice and open about this subject. He cares about the lake as much as we do. He suggested when the new DNR guy has taken over as Doug Welch will retire this year, we could maybe have a meeting and sit down with the two of them and discuss the spraying of weeds, fish limits (size and count) and other matters that are of concern to us fishermen. I will try and keep it posted and keep you informed if you want to come to the meeting. Hope this helps and look for more posts in the near future.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
5/27/15 @ 3:50 PM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
PRO MEMBER User since 3/14/06
I haven't fished Delavan in the boat yet this year. But I ice fished it all winter last year and the year before when everyone complained about the lack of weeds. They are there! Just find them, adapt and catch them. What's the old saying we've seen on t-shirts and such? Shut Up and FISH! It's called fishing not catching!!
5/26/15 @ 7:36 PM
I am definitely no biologist, but I don't think there is any outside influence to what's going on. Just mother nature! Things cycle and change all the time. Right now, Lake Geneva is the clearest I've seen it in 3-4 years. I think it's the commies!! Big Smile
5/25/15 @ 10:31 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Yes it has. Thanks ADIDAS. Anyway, is there anyone who truly knows why there is such a massive filamentous algae bloom this year? I am guessing fertilizer on lawns, just guessing mind you. This does happen every year to some extent, just out of control this year. Plenty of weeds, which are completely weighted down and obscured by the algae. Not gonna fish there until the algae has abated or the pannies are back to deep drop-offs/weed edges (mid-summer).
5/24/15 @ 3:39 PM
Thought I'd pull this thread to the top as the whining has started again on the Delavan fishing REPORT thread!
11/12/14 @ 8:38 PM
Line Snapped
User since 12/14/07
WEED UPDATE. The weeds are very healthy right now. There is an abundance of weed growth and they are all over the place from 14 feet deep and shallower. Water is crystal clear, unlike last year's late algae bloom that kept the sunlight from penetrating more than a foot.
8/20/14 @ 3:31 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
Go to the Mississippi in sept oct look at some of the landings and you will see why you control duck weed while you still can.
8/20/14 @ 2:59 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
have you ever been there when they have brooms at the launch so you can TRY to remove all the duckweed from your boat? That stuff is a mess... I would pay if they installed a couple/three power washers so you have at least a decent chance at getting that mess off your boat and trailer... would imagine it's not so much fun for water intakes either
8/20/14 @ 2:45 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Everybody knows that all gov't agencies never screw anything up. Ever.
8/20/14 @ 1:17 PM
KenK
User since 6/19/01
I'm still trying to wrap my head around controlling duckweed of all weeds! Wondering
8/20/14 @ 11:53 AM
Fish N Phil
User since 6/15/01
Michael G, if you would have looked at the LD50 for this product you would have noticed it is above any rate that is legal to use. I have worked within the lake and pond management industry for 7 years. What people fail to understand is how these products work and what actually causes fish and invertabrates to die. In most cases, I wont say all because there are irresponsible people out there, a die off is due to loss of oxygen from the dieing and decaying plant material. If used responsibly and according to the label these products, including Clipper, are very effective and useful tools for managing aquatic plants.
8/19/14 @ 9:39 PM
Michael G
User since 9/17/06
Fish N Phil, Yes, I have done more than read the extensive list of plant life Clipper eliminates. I have read the MSDS sheets for this exact product. Not sure what you love for this particular poison is all about but can assure you that it IS in fact a POISON. If you had read the Clipper MSDS page seven, "Aquatic organism toxicity", you would know that YOUR "GREAT PRODUCT" is moderately TOXIC to freshwater fish and moderately TOXIC to freshwater invertebrates. This means it is TOXIC or POISON to fish and invertebrates. There are also warnings for HUMAN contact: harmful if inhaled or absorbed through skin, avoid breathing dust or spray mist, avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. As far as your guarantees that your "GREAT PRODUCT" is being applied properly and in the right concentrations... If that was the case and only the channels and 2 acres of main lake were being affected by YOUR "GREAT PRODUCT", THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR DISCUSSION HERE!!!! Vinny Gambini-"I'm finished wit dis guy"
8/19/14 @ 8:56 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Some of us want to blame the spraying of herbicide for the almost complete absence of weed growth. Others blame it totally on the previous hard winter. I believe the truth lies somewhere in between. All I know for sure is that weeds are necessary for the LONG TERM HEALTH of this and any other lake. Good fishing (and it has been good for me) is simply not sustainable in a barren muddy lake (sound familiar?). I worry for the future of this lake. I really do hope that the weeds return next year. Hopefully most people are forward thinking on this matter. There will always be those who just care about today, as long as they are catching fish. The lack of weeds has completely changed my approach to fishing here, I will say that. The walleye are not where they were consistently years before. Nothing is really.
8/19/14 @ 3:12 PM
Fish N Phil
User since 6/15/01
Michael G, did you do any other research on this "poison" or just read the plants that it manages. Clipper is a great product and each species of plant that you listed there is in fact affected by Clipper. What you forgot to mention was the different concentrations that are used to control said plants. Clipper can and is very selective when used properly. All products used in waters of the united states are tested and tested and tested before they are allowed to be used. They are safe when used according to the label, which any company that is applying this product will be doing. They are not poisons as you put it either. They are herbicides that have a specific purpose and function. Again its all about concentrations and following the label. Which all companies that may apply this product must follow. Especially on a public water body. And most likely the DNR was observing them during the application.
8/19/14 @ 6:41 AM
fishs
User since 2/17/04
Fish need weeds is like saying squirrels need trees to survive. Nonsense right?
8/18/14 @ 5:02 PM
Are you people idiots? Were you around 30 years ago when Delavan was carp infested and looked like pea soup? The DNR has done nothing but GOOD for this lake. It's Doug Welch's baby and he and his cronies have done a great job with it. Big bass, big pike, lots of walleyes, lots of big panfish. Yes, I said big panfish. Some years are better than others because they (CYCLE)! It's not the weeds or over harvest! Do you really think they would let something happen to this lake after all the money and effort that has already been put into it? Then there's the guy that rips on Sunshine 2 because he now understands what is going on after a little self research. Do you really beleive that invasive species are not a problem? Have you been on the Illinois river and seen the flying carp? How about the gobies on the Great Lakes? Both examples are mind blowing. I can't even imagine the problems that we will have with invasive weeds. People should just relax and let the people in charge do their job and manage the resource. Just like everything else in life, they can't keep everyone happy but they are doing their best. And with Delavan, it's a pretty good job! *EDIT* P.S. a lot of this rant is from reading posts on the fishing report page, not all here! Generally, reading this stuff amuses me, but enough is enough. Get a clue!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE