catfish through the ice

3/5/14 @ 9:42 AM
ORIGINAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
OK fellas. I asked this over in the catfish forums with no response, so I am gonna try here. I have been getting cats through the ice on a local lake with a typical large shiner set-up just like I use for pike. I have lately been targeting them with good results. Can I continue to use this set-up even though the game-fish season is closed? I know there are some guys who fish Mendota for cats and wondered if anyone is still targeting them and if this is acceptable. I DO NOT WANT A FINE AND AM NOT A LAW-BREAKER! No-one expected the ice to be this thick at this time and I would normally be open water fishing by now. Not much interest in pannies, so this is my idea of something to do until winter lets go. Anybody with sound wisdom on this? Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts
2/19/15 @ 10:13 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
I know a guy catching loads of cats in 20 feet on spoons and minnow heads right now. Saw pleny of mendota cats recently also. I may need to get on these things soon..... Piker, who were u talking to? Did a post get deleted?

Post Your Comment
2/18/15 @ 4:20 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Looking forward to fishing the channels again after the closure. I figure on doing it just before dusk and staying out til midnight or so. Hope to get some bigguns!

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 5:37 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
why dont you contact the dnr they have the chat option and you can ask them right there.

Post Your Comment
11/19/14 @ 6:43 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
OK. I want to get better at catching these things through the ice, not just by accident. The lake I get them on is just under 1000 acres and shallow (kinda like beaver dam lake on a smaller scale). Most of the lake is 4-6 feet deep with a hole going to 12 fow. I am wondering if I should concentrate on the deepest area or just continue to fish 6 fow like I have been doing. Maybe better at night? Any thoughts on upping the odds would be great. I haven't tried cut-bait either, just live shiners. Thanks.

Post Your Comment
3/19/14 @ 9:55 AM
piker_biker
piker_biker
USER since 12/27/07
Well if anyone's a diker it's you. Also I don't have any pictures on here for many reasons. I don't know exactly how much my camera weighs. Who gives two craps! It's made of lead and it's heavy. I might be young but I will out fish you on most species anyday, any weather, and any technique. Don't believe me then accept the challenge. If your not adding anything to the thread then scram!

Post Your Comment
3/18/14 @ 9:24 PM
thatbassguy
thatbassguy
USER since 1/20/09
It's unfortunate that poachers would take advantage of the situation. I hope they get caught. Please call them in if you ever see them doing that. Most people don't care much about cats. I think flatheads are special fish, being our largest predator. There is a YouTube video from the Mississippi river of a guy pretty much bouncing a jig and minnow off the noses of them, and they don't budge. I'll post a link if I run across it. Tight lines!

Post Your Comment
3/18/14 @ 7:16 PM
piker_biker
piker_biker
USER since 12/27/07
Unfortunately I don't have the DVR device for my camera. Wish I did though, I see some crazy stuff. Some where flatheads but a lot of channels too. There where a few smaller channels cruising just under the sheepshead but most of the big ones where laying on bottom. Crazy how they can sit there that long. Wonder how many fish calories they burn throughout winter. And how much they need to eat in fall to do so. No wonder a guy told me two guys where snagging flatheads and using a pop up shanty thru the ice. I doubted him at first but I don't now that's for sure. They didn't care how much noise I made. Probably could've sawed a hole and jumped in and grabbed them lol. Thanks for the info by the way.

Post Your Comment
3/18/14 @ 4:21 PM
thatbassguy
thatbassguy
USER since 1/20/09
Piker- that is normal for flatheads. When the water temperature goes below a certain point, they pile up in holes, and pretty much lay dormant until spring. They generally won't eat, or even move. I'd love to see pics, if you can get some. Would be cool to see. Smile

Post Your Comment
3/18/14 @ 8:25 AM
piker_biker
piker_biker
USER since 12/27/07
Have been watching lots of catfish on the camera and there all laying on the bottom not moving. There's dogfish mixed in with them as well. They're in a trance as I can drop the camera (about 2-3 pounds) on there body as hard as possible and they don't even budge! The sheepshead and carp are above them in schools so thick you can't see anything else down the hole. But they spook from the camera. Weird! There's plenty of oxygen too.

Post Your Comment
3/7/14 @ 1:15 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
OK. Online chat with WDNR with this question, yes it is completely legal to use cut bait on tip-ups to target cats. So I guess I know what I am doing Sunday afternoon.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts