Cardiff 300A Question

6/5/14 @ 12:48 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
I just bought a Shimano Cardiff 300A. I put 2 layers of electrical tape onto the spool, then loaded the 80# Power Pro. With the drag set to max, I can pull line off of it (with difficultly, but it should allow none.). I can see the spool itself turning, so I don’t think it’s the line slipping on the spool. To verify what I am seeing, I pulled ¾ of the line off to get a really good look at the spool and line and it did the same thing, I pulled on the line and the spool is clearly but slowly allowing line to get pulled out. It also seems to me when I back the drag off maybe a 1/2 turn from max, it just spins too easily. The instruction booklet is not much help. This is not my first rodeo with a baitcaster, but am I doing/missing something simple/stupid…..? I have emailed Shimano directly and their "local" repair rep and have had no response. Any thoughts? At this point I'm ready to take it back and order a different reel all together.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
6/6/14 @ 12:25 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
Denesox hit the nail on the head. Shimano finally got back to me and that is the issue, the drag only goes to 10#. I bought if for the low gear ratio for Musky fishing and being in my price range. I think it will be returned for an Orra Winch, provided the drag poundage is correct. Thanks to all.

Post Your Comment
6/6/14 @ 9:35 AM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
To further your comments Terry, a drag system should be backed off completely every time the reel is not in use. Way too many people keep their drags locked down all the time, which will decrease the lifespan of your drag system. Keep your drag healthy and only tighten before you use it.

Post Your Comment
6/6/14 @ 9:16 AM
Chris@MuskyMikes
Chris@MuskyMikes
USER since 6/17/08
Try loosening the drag literally all the way, then tightening it all the way again. If the problem remains...you need to return the reel.

Sometimes the first time a drag is engaged on a new reel it doesn't lock down. I've had more than a dozen shimano curados over the years, and about 25% of them have this problem when brand new. Taking it all the way down, and back up usually fixes the problem.

Cheers, CT

Post Your Comment
6/5/14 @ 11:51 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
The reel's max drag pressure is only 10lb. Most musky size reels offer at least 15.

Post Your Comment
6/5/14 @ 3:51 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
Ivtofish....how to you like these reels?

This one is brand new right from Cabelas, so I could take it back, I have the receipt.

Post Your Comment
6/5/14 @ 1:50 PM
lvtofish
lvtofish
USER since 2/2/05
i have 2 300a's. I don't have that problem at all. when the drag is tightened down it does not move at all. if it is still in good shape you could always buy a new and return the old one in the new one's box.

Post Your Comment