Can it still be mounted?

2/24/16 @ 10:37 AM
ORIGINAL POST
thefishingboy
thefishingboy
USER since 9/11/04
I have a 14inch perch in my freezer from 3 years ago that I have never gotten to the taxidermist yet. I caught it up in LaCrosse area on the Mississippi and kept thinking I would catch a few more which did not happen. If I remember correctly I wrapped it in semi damp paper towel and newspaper and the wrapped it in a plastic garbage bag. Can the fish still be salvaged and have a good mount done? Will a taxidermist tell me honestly if they can do anything with it or not? I have 2 other fish mounted but I took those in within a few days. Also I live in Burlington, WI and am looking for some recommendations
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
3/25/16 @ 10:10 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Best way to preserve them is to freeze them whole in a zip lock bag. Put the fish (or duck) in a zip lock bag, fill with water, and freeze.

They'll last years that way.

Also, I believe most taxidermist will be honest with you. If it won't turn out or is damaged they'll usually let you know.

I had my oldest son's Drake Wood Duck in the freezer for years. I didn't store it the right way, and the taxidermist was up front and honest and told me it was not worth the time or money. He did share the zip lock / ice trick with me.

Post Your Comment
3/5/16 @ 9:48 PM
LeviM
LeviM
MEMBER since 2/25/12
Might be further than you're willing to travel, but I use a guy outside of ripon towards fairwater whose done some amazing work for me. Had a big river eye a few years ago that ripped her mouth apart in the net, I debated spending the money to have it mounted after realizing how torn up it was, Jim put it back together and it's by far my favorite mount. Check out his Facebook page, he'd definitely be able to give you an honest answer. Spit'n Image Taxidermy On FB

Post Your Comment
3/3/16 @ 9:20 AM
fishngod
fishngod
USER since 3/14/07
I think it should be fine too. I had a couple bluegills in my freezer for about four years and they turned out fine. I had Nature's Touch in Janesville do some fish for me. Great job and very reasonable. I too am from Burlington.

Post Your Comment
3/2/16 @ 11:16 AM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Catch Photo Release is the best thing going! I tell all my clients up front If they catch a bass over Eight I will pay for a fiberglass mount. Have I done it yet no. But has it been close several times ... Anyone that wants to measure a fish for a glass mount we can do that at anytime..That has happened but at their expense.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
2/25/16 @ 9:07 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
A reputable taxidermist will be painting it anyways. It'll be fine.

I kept a bass in nothing but a bread-bag for I think 4 years at the bottom of a chest freezer. Frost bit, broken fins the whole thing. Eventually took it in and its one the best mounts I have.

Its all about who you take it to.

Post Your Comment
2/25/16 @ 1:35 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
just get a fiberglass replica of it... take guess work out of end result. You could even then have them do as many as you want in the scene you envisioned originally.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 4:22 PM
pool 9 cathunter
pool 9 cathunter
USER since 9/23/14
It'll be fine. Wrapping the fins in wet towel then a plastic bag is good no need for newspaper. I'm assuming it wasn't kept in a frost free freezer if so then it might be a problem.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 12:52 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
Wrapping it in paper was not the best. Only thing you can do is take it to a taxidermist and find out. Hopefully they are honest with you if it will come out good or not.

Post Your Comment
2/24/16 @ 12:36 PM
meatpuppets
meatpuppets
USER since 1/7/09
Probably not with the paper towel and newspapers. My taxidermist said wrap it in plastic put cardboard around it to prevent fin damage and wrap it with plastic again. Said it would last almost forever like that. Had a 32" walleye in my freezer from Depere I cough 12 years ago. Got it mounted last Christmas looks great!

Post Your Comment