broke gamakatsu hook last night..

8/1/15 @ 10:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Old Rat
Old Rat
USER since 12/19/05
I was bass fishing with some Gammy straight worm hooks.. and when using a hemostat, the hook broke off in the fish.. leaving me with the hook eye and about 1/8 th of an inch of the hook.. anyone else have this problem with a gammy hook before?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
10/17/15 @ 9:00 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
USER since 3/31/16
I have been hearing of Gamakatsu hooks breaking more and more this year. I am not a user (I use Rippin Lips hooks) but had a pack in the box so put it out for catfish to get rid of it and I did break one getting it out of a cat.

From what I have heard from others and put together that to get them as sharp as they want it the steal gets brittle sometimes and causes this problem. I think they may need to re-think the process.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
8/11/15 @ 9:09 PM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12
I did have a 1/0 octopus break while pulling out of a smallie last year whIle i was wacky rigging. But he was hooked good and I was really working it good with the pliers when it happened. Broke at the bend. I had also caught several other fish on it that day and had used the pliers on it earlier so who knows. I use gammas for almost all my plastic rigging for bass. I catch a ton of bass each year. Have yet to break another. Until it starts happening on a regular basis I'm not worried.

Post Your Comment
8/11/15 @ 9:08 PM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12
I did have a 1/0 octopus break while pulling out of a smallie last year whIle i was wacky rigging. But he was hooked good and I was really working it good with the pliers when it happened. Broke at the bend. I had also caught several other fish on it that day and had used the pliers on it earlier so who knows. I use gammas for almost all my plastic rigging for bass. I catch a ton of bass each year. Have yet to break another. Until it starts happening on a regular basis I'm not worried.

Post Your Comment
8/11/15 @ 11:55 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Never had a gamma break either. Or an eagle claw needle point. Im a huge texas rigger and those are the only 2 brands ive ever used for EWG's. I like thin wire hooks personally and have been using both for as long as I can remember.

Post Your Comment
8/11/15 @ 11:09 AM
machoprogrammer
machoprogrammer
USER since 1/19/07
I have never had a gama hook break despite using them almost exclusively.

Post Your Comment
8/7/15 @ 8:25 PM
Old Rat
Old Rat
USER since 12/19/05
this was a brand new hook package right from bass pro last week.. no rust no nuth'n..

Post Your Comment
8/5/15 @ 7:50 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
VMC and GAMMA are made in same factory... a salmon can bend out any hook if you dont play fish correctly.

I have never had a GAMMA hook break bass fishing and that is all I have used for 15 years. Was it all rusted out from sitting in a box with plastic worms?

Post Your Comment
8/2/15 @ 12:33 PM
sylvan81
sylvan81
USER since 5/23/12
Used to use gamakatsu hooks all the time. Used them on flicker shads and my salmon spoons and flies. They started breaking even a few kings straightened out. Stopped used them and switched to vmc. Havnt had a problem since.

Post Your Comment
8/2/15 @ 11:05 AM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
They do seem to be a little brittle sometimes. I use wide gap worm hooks and they will bend a little too but they sure catch fish. I have never had one break by just removing by hand but when using needlenose I have had it happen before.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment