Boating with kids

8/7/15 @ 5:42 PM
ORIGINAL POST
John Q. Public
John Q. Public
USER since 8/1/12
Hello, I'm new at boating so I'm asking at what age do your kids not wear life preservers on inland lakes. We have a slow pontoon, a couple of kids can swim, a few cannot. Oldest is 12. Please let me know your thoughts. Obviously I know the safest way, but what is "reality". Thanks!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts
8/13/15 @ 10:59 PM
2nd shift
2nd shift
USER since 8/7/15
This might work

Post Your Comment
8/13/15 @ 7:19 PM
Fishercreek
Fishercreek
USER since 10/2/05
Straight from the WIDNR link posted earlier: "All vessels (including canoes, kayaks, and paddleboards) must have at least one USCG-approved Wearable life jacket for each person on board."

USCG rules state that Inflatable life jackets aren't approved for any one under 16 years of age.

Post Your Comment
8/13/15 @ 3:50 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
"WI rules different than USCG rules... ? so USCG only apply to federal waters... good to know the difference"

Yep, the most recent link shared are the USCG regulations which apply to federal waters. The one I shared was from the WDNR which also refers to federal waters but says nothing at all about the use of inflatables on inland waterways.

Post Your Comment
8/13/15 @ 3:01 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
WI rules different than USCG rules... ? so USCG only apply to federal waters... good to know the difference

Lake Michigan is federal.

Winnebago is considered federal, but they are either changing or trying to change that to WI

WI rule may be in tune with USCG regarding inflatables with the proper fit statement?

edit: after looking at inflatable vests, didn't find any child sizes, most are designed for someone over 80 lbs, and with a 30"+ chest

Edited on 8/13/15 3:07 PM
Post Your Comment
8/13/15 @ 9:45 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04
Post Your Comment
8/13/15 @ 9:36 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
Hockey guy - kid didn't really say anything. We pulled him up and he asked if the fish were still on like nothing ever happened. I hate to be rude, but will call a spade a spade here - he was sort of a spaz. I don't think I want to fish with him again because of the way he acted. Lack of respect for me, my gear, and most importantly, the water. Just an accident waiting to happen, which I don't want to be a part of.

Post Your Comment
8/13/15 @ 9:03 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
Nothing in here about age restrictions on inflatables. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/boat/pfd.html

The key part of PFD use is that the PFD needs to fit the person wearing it properly and those guidelines are by weight and chest size.

Post Your Comment
8/13/15 @ 7:02 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
OK, so inflatables are a terrible idea for kids (not). Bottom line is you are responsible for all of your passengers and if you dont make them wear some kind of perservers, then you are the one who has to live with it. Kind of like the parents who let their 6 year old ride an adult ATV without s helmet or adult supervision. We all know how this ends.

Post Your Comment
8/11/15 @ 9:01 AM
Fishercreek
Fishercreek
USER since 10/2/05
I believe the law on inflatables says for age 16 and up. Not intended to use for young children. And the inflatable only counts if it is being worn, at least while under way.

Post Your Comment
8/11/15 @ 8:49 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04
inflatable is a terrible idea for kids....what do you think the first thing they will do is? Pull the manual inflate cord.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts