Best slip float?

5/8/16 @ 3:48 PM
ORIGINAL POST
TeamG
TeamG
USER since 4/28/08

We do a lot of slip float fishing for walleye and crappie. I have tried a lot of different brands of slip floats and bobber stops. What is your favorite brand or kind? I bought some cheaper ones this winter and had 3 come apart opening day. Hoping to get some new ideas or find something I may have missed or never heard of before. Hope you all had a good opener, walleyes were all short for us but we found the crappies in the evening and made up for it.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts
7/17/17 @ 7:41 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

Another vote if confidence for Thill Pro, you won't be disappointed.

Post Your Comment
7/17/17 @ 6:28 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

perch chaser, I've used those bobbers. I don't care for them.  I've had a difficult time having the line slip through the bobber, they get caught. Also those bobber stoppers I can never get to work.  They break easily while trying to snap them together, and snapping them together is near impossible.  The best bobber stopper I've found to use is just a plain old knot.  Only problem is that it's permanent, so if you're fishing different depths you have to start all over, but they work every time.  Otherwise, some of the strings work great, some not so much.  I think the thinner diameter ones work better than the thick diameter. 

Post Your Comment
7/17/17 @ 4:21 AM
derwayn
derwayn
USER since 6/27/17

Another vote for Thill Pro. Works well and very reasonably priced also.

Post Your Comment
7/14/17 @ 12:39 PM
perch chaser
perch chaser
USER since 2/6/03

Any thoughts or pros and cons, never used them?

http://www.clearlyoutdoors.com/

Post Your Comment
7/14/17 @ 10:14 AM
PikePro33
PikePro33
USER since 2/8/10

These are the stops I use...best in my opinion.  Don't slide or get loose and you can reuse them.  Don't stick up off spool so casting is smooth also.  Another thing I like is braided power pro for my main line.   It floats so you can take up slack really easy on long casts and has no memory so it doesn't get so loopy.  Then I  go to a swivel with 8 lb mono with split shot and hook.  Just a few things I do but bobber fishing is my specialty.

Post Your Comment
7/14/17 @ 6:37 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Interesting, I might have to give that a shot.  I'm currently doing more dead stick fishing over deep water but hate retying my rods to get the bobbers off.

I have a few ESB's as well.  They work nice but I still need a bead or the knots I use slip through them.  I like the smallest material knots because they don't stick out as far on a reel to catch the line when casting.  The thicker thread ones give me trouble at times.  That also requires a bead with a small hole, I have some beads that the knot slips through as well.

Post Your Comment
7/14/17 @ 6:10 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Thanks, PikePro, I'll be giving that a try tomorrow morning if I do indeed get out fishing!

Post Your Comment
7/13/17 @ 5:51 PM
PikePro33
PikePro33
USER since 2/8/10

Works like a charm.

Post Your Comment
7/13/17 @ 12:45 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

PIKEPRO, I remember that episode, but I can't recall how they did it.  Would you mind sharing a couple of pictures on how you do that?

I have all kinds of spring bobbers at home I rarely use because I can't stand how they work, but I'd be willing to try the swivel/spring bobber method at least once.

Post Your Comment
7/13/17 @ 2:35 AM
PikePro33
PikePro33
USER since 2/8/10

I saw a segment on Larry Smith outdoors where they threaded one end of a barrel swivel onto a spring bobber and put the line through the other end of the barrel swivel.  The line only has to go through swivel and not all the was through the straw of a slip bobber so it doesn't get stuck and flies to bottom.  Plus you can remove the bobber from the swivel to fish over the side of the boat.  I did it and love it.  Before this it was the thill pro.  And I have moved to the plastic bobber stops that thread onto the lone instead of the ties.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts