SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Best cell signal in Vilas County?

6/18/19 @ 4:23 PM
INITIAL POST
PJL2112
User since 4/8/10
My buddy's wife is expecting (their first) in two months, and he was only able to get permission to join me fishing in Vilas County if he promised to be "on call" to leave if she unexpectedly goes into labor. It looks like his Sprint plan has a crappy signal up there. 
Wondering if anyone has experience with Verizon on Fishtrap, High and other Boulder Junction lakes?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
6/24/19 @ 9:27 AM
PikePro33
PikePro33
User since 2/8/10

Cellcom has been good for me in vilas.  I have good call reception and 4g for internet.  If cell is bad but 4g would be good he could use Facebook to make and internet phone call.   We did that on vacation out of the country over wifi at the hotel.

6/24/19 @ 5:32 AM
Rob Manthei
User since 5/26/10

Cell signal for verizon is good on Fishtrap.....On High around Frog Island it's great and the rest of the lake going west not so great

6/20/19 @ 7:00 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08

I have a couple friends that live near LVD and cancelled their Verizon for poor service! Personally, we use AT&T and have great service until we get west of Lando and then service is spotty!

6/20/19 @ 6:28 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

I have Verizon and it works awesome.  Only place it doesn't work is near Anvil at my friends cabin.  If two houses away it works great.  His area is in a low spot.

6/19/19 @ 11:23 PM
LIL MAN
User since 5/20/08

I have Verizon Wireless home phone and also cell phones. We live in St. Germain and snowmobile,fish and 4 wheel all over vilas county and have never had a problem and we have cheap flip phones for cell phone. 

6/19/19 @ 9:15 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

AT&T has the best coverage in Wisconsin. Thats what I personally use, and have great reception heading in Vilas whereas our other phone with Sprint drops calls starting around Rhinelander. 

6/19/19 @ 5:35 PM
PJL2112
User since 4/8/10
Birdboy, I hear you! This is why I went out of my way to explain why I was asking (friend's wife is expecting), because I wanted to get out ahead of people saying that I shouldn't care about my darn phone and enjoy the outdoors. I like unplugging! I consider my friend to have a valid excuse, though.  
6/19/19 @ 11:31 AM
rowtroll
User since 9/22/10

I can tell you that US Cellular used to be awesome on those lakes. Now, not so much. Works for voice, not data. (1g and 1/2 bar)

Verizon is better

I subscribed to at&t (onstar) on my truck last weekend and had no problems anywhere.

6/19/19 @ 10:18 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

You probably have to drive to each lake you are thinking about fishing and see what you get.  It varies for me depending on where I am.  I doubt all of Vilas is going to be the same.

For the most part I do well with Verizon but I also know some dead spots and some happen to be lakes lol.

6/19/19 @ 9:05 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

We have ATT and (sadly) I can get a signal anywhere in Iron, Vilas, Price  and Oneida. Which means people from work frequently call while I am grouse hunting. I liked it better when I had to go into town in Mercer to make or receive a call. 

6/19/19 @ 7:34 AM
PJL2112
User since 4/8/10

Thanks for the feedback.

6/18/19 @ 10:28 PM
bassball
User since 7/25/07

Pjl i stay frequently on high lake and have Verizon service that gets good reception on calls but spotty on texts. We stay on forest lodge. Hope this helps. Congratulations to your friend. 

6/18/19 @ 6:42 PM
PJL2112
User since 4/8/10

Thank you!

6/18/19 @ 6:19 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

if you're staying at a resort you could always have them call there

6/18/19 @ 5:45 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

We have good reception with Verizon in that area.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE