Anybody having the experience I'm having?

9/20/15 @ 2:06 PM
ORIGINAL POST
DJon-E
DJon-E
USER since 9/20/15
I've been fishing in northwestern Wisconsin for about ten years, and this year has been the least productive. Here's some info the may be important: I always use lures; no live bait. For the first nine years, I had a 20-ft pontoon (for my girlfriend, really) and I did quite well. This spring, I bought a Crestliner Fish Hawk, (which even my girlfriend likes), and it's easier to bring a fish onboard -- but I'm catching very few compared to other years. The lakes I fish are Rice Lake, Bear Lake, Birch Lake, Hemlock-Red Cedar, Long Lake, the Gordon Flowage, and the tiny Montanis Lake near Rice Lake, WI. I've heard some chatter, but not much, that others are having a similar experience. I'm hoping someone on this forum can add to my knowledge. Thanks much. Smile
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
10/18/15 @ 3:47 PM
DJon-E
DJon-E
USER since 9/20/15
Hi, guys. I may have some good new regarding the fishing in the lakes we've been talking about. Good news -- but I don't know if it's official yet. Seems like there has been some recognition that a lot of smaller fish cut down on their ability to grow faster. Supposedly, the sizes are going to be changed, so the population will be cut down some. Guess we'll see what happens. I have gotten some nice bass on Bear Lake recently, and my girlfriend took a picture or two.

Post Your Comment
10/5/15 @ 8:00 PM
dbuchmann
dbuchmann
USER since 2/17/05
I'm up in Spooner and noticed a "slower" season so far than last year, and smaller fish too. I keep track of how many bass I catch over the year, last year I was at 1319 bass when I put the boat away, this year so far I'm at 825. Now this spring I was busy working on a house which hurt but didn't have those really good days this summer like I've had in the past. I fish a bass league and do talk to other anglers at the landing and have heard a lot of the same from them. Smaller fish than normal and not the quantity either.

Post Your Comment
10/1/15 @ 5:11 PM
DJon-E
DJon-E
USER since 9/20/15
Sorry it's been so long, guys. I got busy and didn't get back to the computer until now. Again, I appreciate the comments. I spoke with a friend of mind who has been an avid fisherman for years, and he's been having the same experience. His explanation had to do with a lot of small fish, and not enough food to grow them up very well. As far as Rice Lake goes, it seems that someone is trying to turn it into a trophy musky lake. There's a lot of stocking going on in that direction, and I doubt that makes it easy for other fish to survive, let along thrive.

Regarding the kind offer of $500 for my new boat, I really appreciate it. However, I think I'll hang onto it for awhile -- especially since my girlfriend likes it, too. And speaking of her: Believe it or not, she doesn't even want to be an honest woman. She tried that before and it didn't work well, so now she prefers being a girlfriend. So now I have another question: Is there some way I can make the fish understand?!

Thanks again, guys. I love reading your comments, and I'll try to keep in touch better from now on. Also, if I learn anything that may be of value to you -- anything from fish to boats to women -- I'll let you know!

Post Your Comment
9/24/15 @ 1:24 PM
1mower
1mower
USER since 1/2/10
The first question I ask when looking at a used boat is "Do You Catch Allot of Fish".

Post Your Comment
9/23/15 @ 7:11 PM
splashman
splashman
USER since 6/26/01
Seriously dude,

It's the boat. I'd ditch it pronto. In fact, the nice guy I am, I'll toss ya a cool $500 for ya just to take the monkey off your back.

I guarantee you'll be on fish soon.................

Post Your Comment
9/23/15 @ 6:08 PM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01
You've been dragging this girl around for 10 years... and she is still a "girlfriend"?!

There's your problem. Good Lord man, why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win? Pop the question and make her an honest woman.

Fish know this stuff.

Post Your Comment
9/23/15 @ 5:17 PM
Twister
Twister
USER since 6/15/01
Djon -- I have fished most of the lakes you listed. I have also been fishing for over 65 years. I also use only artificial baits.

Spring fishing was very weird as we usually expect fish to be in the shallows during the spring months. We found crappies and 30 to 40 feet of water showing them about 10 to 15 below the surface. Fishing them at the 10 to 15 foot depth caught no fish. However, if I dragged the bait thru the weeds on the bottom, I got a lot of bites.

I have not been out for a month, but the last 2 or 3 times I was out I was shut out. A rare experience for me.

You just have to keep on trying different methods and depths despite what you locator tells you. Artificial baits are great because you do not have to worry about fishing without a worm 90 percent of the time.

I did get some nice bass and crappies out of Montanis early in the year, but have not fished the area since then. The bass were by the spring on the west side in the slop and the crappies were on the bottom in the deep, like there is a deep hole in there.

Post Your Comment
9/22/15 @ 7:43 PM
skeeterbite
skeeterbite
USER since 4/12/14
Ive always skipped weightless sencos and jigs under docked pontoons and gotten bass.

Post Your Comment
9/22/15 @ 7:05 PM
roofer
roofer
USER since 6/6/04
It's between idaho russet and what comes out of the kids garden.

Post Your Comment
9/21/15 @ 8:09 PM
DJon-E
DJon-E
USER since 9/20/15
Thanks much to everyone for their comments. I'm going to risk sounding like a dummy, but -- unclesmallie, were you serious about my boat being a negative influence? Thanks again.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts