Your vehicle/home insurance

2/28/15 @ 12:01 PM
ORIGINAL POST
clark co chris
clark co chris
USER since 4/5/09
It seems like every other commercial these days is for Progressive/Geico/Allstate/State Farm. Obviously these companies are huge and have deep pockets, but my gosh. Just wondering how many people use these companies, or at least get quotes relatively often to see what deal is best for them. My deal...something like this. My insurance agent is a relative. He is an independent agent, so he does a bit of the legwork for us and finds the best deals for our family according to our needs. We have a policy from a somewhat smaller company that gives us a nice price drop for combining our house and vehicles (as I'm sure most, if not all companies do). I can say that I've never "shopped around" with any of these huge national companies and wonder if it's worth it. It may save us some money, but I can't put a price on the piece of mind of having a personal connection with my agent whose office is one mile away. I've always placed an importance on this issue since one particular bad experience.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
4/15/15 @ 12:48 PM
scmuskies
scmuskies
USER since 10/14/03
Anyone have experience with Travelers insurance (boat/auto/home)? Been shopping around and they have the best quote so far.

Currently with Cincinnati (local, independent rep) and have been for a while & very happy with them, but Travelers would save a good chunk per year.

sc

Post Your Comment
2/28/15 @ 5:16 PM
Twister
Twister
USER since 6/15/01
I can remember a number of years ago there was a lot of storm damage in the area and one of the mutual companies had to declare bankruptcy because they did not have a large enough customer base to cover all the claims. I am not saying BIG is better, just make sure what you do does not bite you in the BEHIND.

I just changed my umbrella policy from 1 million to 2 million dollars. It was about $50 more from state farm. If you do not know what an umbrella policy is, you should check with your agent.

Edited on 2/28/15 5:19 PM
Post Your Comment
2/28/15 @ 4:41 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
USER since 1/14/02
Had State Farm but went with an Independent agent about 10 years ago for the home, auto and motorcycle and Mrs. J2's business insurance. A new State Farm agent came into the area and contacted us about insurance and after comparing the policies we ended up going back to State Farm, saving about $1200.00 a year

Post Your Comment
2/28/15 @ 1:00 PM
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
if you go with a cheaper company and they are not A+ or better, you will save money but good luck with the fight trying to get any money from them if you file a claim.

Post Your Comment
2/28/15 @ 12:39 PM
esoxcpr
esoxcpr
IMHO - I think you are foolish if you don't shop around for competitive pricing at least every 2 - 3 years. Many experts would say every year. That doesn't mean you have to switch companies, just do your due diligence to make sure your pricing is still in the ballpark. I own rental properties so I have many different insurance policies and I currently have everything with State Farm as they were over a thousand dollars cheaper per year for my bundled policies than any competitor. I would also have no problem using separate companies for various policies if the pricing was right, though that's a bit more of a headache so you need to weigh that against the price. Just make sure any company you go with has an AM Best rating of A+ or better. That large national companies agents are local people who live in your town and you can have just as personal connection with them as with an independent agent, you simply have to do your own price shopping whereas an independent agent would help you with that.

Edited on 2/28/15 12:43 PM
Post Your Comment
2/28/15 @ 12:17 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
I have Allstate.. and have a crap load of stuff with them. My Agent is not a relative, but does an excellent good job. He keeps me up to date, communicates with me regularly, and even helps make sure that what they are offering is very competitive. I had a vehicle totaled about a year ago when I was swept up in a rock slide, it was deemed a no-fault accident, my settlement was quick and extremely fair, and did not result in any rate hike. They also hired a professional fire mitigation person to review my property, with my permission, and when the recommendations came in my INSURANCE AGENT actually asked if I wanted help (his own personal time) clearing some of the things they recommended. He came up and helped one Saturday afternoon which I thought was beyond personal service, he a nice guy, he stayed for BBQ afterwords.

Even some of these big companies have responsible, responsive, and hard working agents. Most smaller companies steer clear of the Mountain communities because of the Fire Dangers that exist.

Post Your Comment