Winter tires?

11/12/14 @ 10:24 AM
ORIGINAL POST
keeper2
keeper2
MEMBER since 9/5/02
My last set of tires were all-terrains and I seldom needed to shift out of 2wd. Now I have all seasons ( better ride, better mileage, quieter ride ). Haven't driven them enough in the snow to do a depth comparison.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 30 Posts
11/25/14 @ 11:28 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
I agree with many comments here..."one winter on dedicated snow tires and you'll never go back". Snow tires are amazing, the difference between them and all season is anything BUT subtle. Not even a fair comparison at all.

A few years ago I had a friend who had just gotten an accord(used, but nice). It was winter and he was having trouble accelerating in snow and sliding at stops or in turns, often understeering badly. I kept telling him to put a set of Blizzaks on. When he finally did he was shocked at the difference it made, not just in the deep snow, but in all the situations that pop up throughout the winter, like slush, blowing snow, plow lines pushed across intersections out of the blue, etc. At the time I had a new 4X4 pickup that was exceptional in the snow. After he put those Blizzaks on that accord, it was actually better than my 4X4, and not by a little.

The snow, slushy, wet, ice grip is almost unbelievable, even on snow covered roads it accelerated and stopped basically as it did on dry pavement.

Its one of those things (like rain-x)that just makes your car so much safer that I am surprised they aren't mandatory, what with all the safety regulations and parts they force already. I'd be willing to bet that if every car on the road had them, accidents would practically drop back to summertime numbers and tow truck drivers would get to spend more time with their families when it snows. Smile

Its really hard to describe the difference they make without sounding like you are exaggerating or selling them or something. But use them and you will be just as impressed, guaranteed...they're ridiculous! Cool

Post Your Comment
11/25/14 @ 8:32 AM
TinmanTJR
TinmanTJR
USER since 2/17/04
Lectrotech,

I drove several GMC 3500 vans while I was still working in the field. I always had a lot of weight: truck was at max payload almost all the time, sometimes over. About the best tire I had used for both traction, wear, and cost were Firestone Transforce A/T.

Those wore very well considering the load, and I always kept them at 60 PSI on the fronts, 80 PSI on the rears. They did give up a little grip in the wet, but not enought to be concerned. They worked well in the snow, and was surprised how well they got traction when I drove into remote jobsites that had little or no snow removal performed.

Post Your Comment
11/25/14 @ 3:00 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
I'm going to start shopping for tires for my work van. I have very good low end tork, posi, loads that vary (light too overload) in an Express Van. Today was a freak, wet roads to ice roads, current rears are rated for weight not traction. It will cost a bit.

Post Your Comment
11/24/14 @ 9:45 PM
TinmanTJR
TinmanTJR
USER since 2/17/04
Woohoo!!!

Glad I got those babies on, it sure made driving through this crap today a heck of a lot easier. No spinning or slipping for me... Cool

Post Your Comment
11/24/14 @ 5:18 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
Winter tires going on today.

Post Your Comment
11/23/14 @ 7:55 PM
TinmanTJR
TinmanTJR
USER since 2/17/04
Put the winter tires on both cars today. Sounds like they might come in handy in the coming days...

Post Your Comment
11/21/14 @ 7:48 AM
Wireline
Wireline
USER since 3/18/02
Troy, yes they are the original stock tires. First snow had some ice form before the snow so will wait and see. Questioning the stopping but the AWD works great. Ya slow down.

Thanks Wireline

Post Your Comment
11/21/14 @ 7:19 AM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
wireline, are they the stock tires that came on the vehicle new? If so, they are ok, they do wear quickly though. Those Bridgestones are the best of the bunch that Honda puts on new vehicles.

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
11/20/14 @ 4:53 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
I was coming back from the U.P. A few years ago, the roads were snow covered and slippery. I was motoring along just fine on my Blizzacks, many others were just crawling along, slowly. There were also the occasional vehicle in the ditch.

I wonder how many said, 'that guy is driving like a nut, I'll see him in the ditch ahead'. I'd gladly stop and compare tires if they wanted. I didn't crowd anyone, but as able I motored safely along. With Winter tires there will be those stretches when the roads are clear, they earn their keep on those snowy days.

Post Your Comment
11/19/14 @ 8:06 PM
bowtech Dee
bowtech Dee
USER since 10/23/12
What people fail to realize is that you would like to have just as much traction in the rear of a front wheel drive. As your turning or driving through curves the rear of car has to follow the front and if the traction isn't there then the rear will slide regardless of traction on front. Just because it is front wheel drive dosent always mean that the fronts have the most traction. You need the rear of car to follow.

Edited on 11/19/14 8:06 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 30 Posts