Windows 10 anybody ready?

7/29/15 @ 6:21 PM
ORIGINAL POST
RichManitoba
RichManitoba
USER since 5/22/15
I'm ready to receive my upgrade at any time. I'll be off my computer tomorrow, but I'm not working Friday, so I'll check bright and early then. I'm sure the upgrade will be there waiting for me....I'll let everybody know how I like it.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
8/12/15 @ 5:29 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
"Why not 10?"

I believe I've found the answer to my own question. I ran the Win10 update over the weekend, and found that, once complete, the Ethernet adapter was no longer recognized.

Rolled back to 8.1, still not recognized, "WTF?", I said to myself. Finally got it to come up after a cold restart, re-ran the Win10 upgrade (which, BTW, was fairly straightforward).

No Ethernet adapter again. Rolled back to 8.1 again, Ethernet adapter back in bid-ness.

So it looks like, in my case, anyhow, that I'm going to have to do a full Win10 install, which means that I'm gonna have to reinstall my apps, etc.

The good news is that I have a second 500GB SSD available, so I can run the full install o that, then run the installer executables from my current SSD.

Quite a PITA, though, so, yeah, there are some gotchas out there, guess it ain't a perfect world!

Edited on 8/12/15 7:06 AM
Post Your Comment
7/31/15 @ 3:45 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
its free for now till they figure out what there going to charge for a monthly or yearly fee. that is the plan with windows 10... a lot like adobe did with theyre creative cloud

Post Your Comment
7/31/15 @ 11:20 AM
RichManitoba
RichManitoba
USER since 5/22/15
I downloaded it this morning and playing with it right now. I never had 7, I went from XP to 8/8.1, which was a new experience. 10 is a lot like 8.1, but with benefits of XP and 7.

It's kind of fun customizing it's appearance, but I'm still looking for some things I know are there, just have to figure out how to find them! It is very fast and fun, and I'm in no way a computer expert.

By the way, if you have Windows 7 or 8/8.1, the upgrade is free until July 29, 2016.

Edited on 7/31/15 11:24 AM
Post Your Comment
7/31/15 @ 7:59 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
I hear 'ya, DD, I'm in a similar boat (although I'm running 8.1), part of my thinking is, what's the rush? OTOH, I highly doubt I'll end up clinging to what I have a la how many users treated XP, so assuming that it's inevitable that I'll end up upgrading to 10, why not do it sooner rather than later?

So, why 10?

Windows 10 vs Windows 7

and

Windows 10 review: Microsoft gets it right (I'm kind of a big fan of CNet in general)

and

Windows 7 vs Windows 10 comparison: What's the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10? New features in Windows 10 and why you should upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Based on the above, it appears clear that 10 is faster and easier to use (once you get used to it) than 7.

So the question becomes, it seems to me, not "Why 10?", but rather, "Why not 10?"

Post Your Comment
7/31/15 @ 7:32 AM
crappieguy
crappieguy
USER since 2/11/02
I have been running the preview for a few months and the final version for the last couple of days now.

So far the only negative thing that I have found is you need to uninstall any VPN software before you upgrade to 10.

When the install completes you loose your internet connection if you have Cisco VPN software installed. Also you will probably have to upgrade your Anti-Virus software to a compatible version, which is not a big deal.

If you want the old menu system back on Win 8.x or Win 10 just download ClassicShell

http://www.classicshell.net/

Edited on 7/31/15 7:36 AM
Post Your Comment
7/30/15 @ 9:30 PM
Pete Pete Pete
Pete Pete Pete
USER since 12/21/05
Everyone grouses about 8-8.1, but I've had no issues with it. (I do use 7 on numerous machines as well)

The thing which angers me about 10 is that you are no longer to manually install updates.

That's fine for most people, but I like to be able to see what is going on every month.

Post Your Comment
7/30/15 @ 9:57 AM
7/30/15 @ 8:51 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
8P, Here's how to upgrade to Windows 10.

You can download it here.

(I just Googled Download Windows 10, it really isn't that difficult!

Post Your Comment
7/30/15 @ 8:47 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
I may upgrade this weekend, but I'm in no particular rush to do so. 8.1 has not presented any particular problems the way we use our home PC, I typically just run in Desktop mode and created a Programs group on the Desktop so I just go there if I want to start some other app.

So far, everything I've heard is positive, so I'll probably go for it sooner rather than later.

Post Your Comment
7/30/15 @ 8:40 AM
8 pointer
8 pointer
USER since 2/12/13
How do you get the free download?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts