Who can beat the spread?

9/2/15 @ 3:52 PM
ORIGINAL POST
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13
Last year there was some interest in picking the winners against the spread week to week. Snakester and others participated, This year I would like to improve the challenge and maybe figure out a system fair to all. looking for suggestions to make this into something fun for everyone. We have one more week and then it becomes real! I don't know if we can figure out a way to incorporate a monetary prize nor do I know if it is legal? All I can say for now is give me as much feedback as you can and maybe we can make this into something special. John - I will be happy to manage this if it is required
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
9/23/15 @ 10:17 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13
Thanks Tim

I think we will nix it for this year. Maybe next year we should start it earlier and refine it where everyone understands the concept, keep it challenging and enjoyable.

Post Your Comment
9/22/15 @ 7:59 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
Sorry LJ!,

Guess I kind of forgot about this thread. If it's not too late, I'll join for Week 3.

Tim

Post Your Comment
9/8/15 @ 10:23 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13
We lost Snakester, I must lead a life of debackery, when I asked him if he has ever played a parley card, the response was what is a parley card? Am I the only one that indulges? Wow, I am shocked that this is not taking off like I thought it would. Let's give this a try with what we have: The five choices are: Thurs. Night Pitt getting 6.5. Sun Bears 7. Detroit 3. Giants 6. And Mon night San Fran 2.5 at home against the Vi queens.

If you want to play, your account has a 100.00 balance. Choose three of the five choices and if you get all three correct, your balance increases to 130.00. One wrong and you drop to 90.00 next week. If two are correct and one is a push your balance is 120.00, unless another player gets all of the picks correct. If there are ties then Mon. Nights total points breaks the tie.

Here are my choices: NE (-6.5). GB(-7.0). Detroit( plus 3.0). Total for Mon. Night 38 puts.

Good Luck Everyone!

Post Your Comment
9/7/15 @ 4:40 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13
Thanks reel drag

We have 7 including myself, all this week until Wed. I will take entries. To make it fair I have to make a cut-off deadline of 12:00 midnight Wed Night. There is no real monetary obligation, it is all make believe or virtual,so please get on board because this is going to be a fun season! I will post Wed Night the game choices ( I like the games I made previously in the examples) and their spreads. Good luck and may the best prognosticator win!

Post Your Comment
9/7/15 @ 3:35 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
I'm in fellas

Post Your Comment
9/7/15 @ 10:21 AM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13
Let see if I can set-up an example for week 1;

I will offer 5 games to choose 3 from : Steelers @ Patriots Thurs. Night on NBC Packers @ da Bears Sun. On Fox. Lion @ Chargers Sun. On Fox. Giants @ Cowboys Sun on NBC. Vi queens @ 49ers Mon on ESPN. Each week I will try to pick games of interest, (always the Pack). Games we can see on TV ( not always going to be possible). And I will try to pick Northern division games.

We all start out with 100 points (dollars) choose three of the five, I don't know the spreads yet for these games but will list them in the future, but say I choose Pats, GB and Vikes, Pats and GB cover the spread but Vikes win but didn't cover, you lose your 10 points wagered and go into week 2 with 90 points. If you choose 3 games and they all cover you receive 30 points. If more than one get all three right we refer to the score on Mon night and who is closest to total points scored gets a 10 point bonus.

I hope this makes sense to everyone and if anyone wants to improve or tweet I am open for suggestions. It maybe sounds confusing but I am sure once it starts it will be fun and easy.

The more participants the better so I hope we can get a lot of involvement!!!

Thanks John. LJ

Post Your Comment
9/6/15 @ 1:47 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
I'm in again. Keep me posted.

Tim

Post Your Comment
9/6/15 @ 11:22 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Who else is interested? We had a fun time last year and it was good competition. LJ and myself are throwing some good ideas around on PM, but we need to know who's in. We have to have the rules done before Thursday night for the first game, but that particular game may or may not be considered that week. I'm currently in discussion with LJ, and hope some more guys get in. Mr. Bass sounds like he is in, and WhiteBread too.

Post Your Comment
9/3/15 @ 6:10 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
USER since 9/6/13
I am glad you asked, a point spread evens out the playing field, for instance if the Patriots are playing the Raiders as an example the bookies would give the Raiders points to make it a fair bet. So the Raiders have scored points before the game has even started! I hope this answers your question.

Post Your Comment
9/3/15 @ 3:56 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
You know,.. butter, mayo, cheese.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts