What is reasonable compensation?

6/25/15 @ 5:37 PM
ORIGINAL POST
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
So I bought my parents a hotel room in downtown Milwaukee and Brewer tickets for their Christmas presents this past year. They got to witness one of the few Brewer wins this year and being their first game ever I was pretty stoked. I put my parents up in a higher priced hotel ($190.00) for the night and my mom called me and said that while she was in the bathroom a piece of plaster patch on the ceiling fell off and she got about a half cup of nasty sewer water on her back. They complained to the hotel and were told I would receive some form of compensation since I purchased the room. My dad being a handy man of sorts said there a was a hole about the size of a fist in the ceiling and it was evident there was a past leak they didn't fix right and they just patched the ceiling and put a new coat of paint on it. My question is with a higher up calling me tomorrow to discuss the situation and problem what is reasonable to ask for? I was thinking the night should be free, and since I bought the room I should get a free room night this year from them and another night free next year for my parents. I have stayed there many times before and while its a decent hotel you pay more the convenience than high end room. I think $600 total compensation is pretty good for getting defication on her.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 36 Posts
7/9/15 @ 7:22 AM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
USER since 6/27/08
If there was a hole in the sewer line it would have stunk up the entire hotel room and more. I highly doubt whatever fell from the ceiling was sewage. I'm guessing there some was sort of condensation going on in a pipe in the ceiling above the bathroom.

Post Your Comment
7/9/15 @ 12:32 AM
Ski2314
Ski2314
USER since 10/17/05
Dude, your mom got crapped on!!!!!!!!

Post Your Comment
7/6/15 @ 11:52 AM
Shoot Straight
Shoot Straight
USER since 10/31/06
Poor job on the managers part. Obviously he didn't let you vent enough. His answers sounded more defensive. It doesn't matter if they were just checking out. Sounds like your more upset then your parents. Understandable though as it was a present!!

At the end I do feel you were looking for to much, but the manager didn't do his job!

I wouldn't trash online reviews but I would take it up to the next level.

SS

Post Your Comment
7/2/15 @ 4:42 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
I believe your parents should get a free night and that is about it. It's a shame they had a rough stay. But you gave them the stay as a gift. If I bought my son a car for his 16 the birthday and it turned out to be a lemon, I'd be trying to get him a replacement car. I wouldn't argue he gets a new car because his was a lemon and I also get a free car because I paid for the first one.

Post Your Comment
7/2/15 @ 4:10 AM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10
To be honest with you condensation was the first thing that I thought of when reading this thread. All efforts after this will be in vein. Unless they have a string of complaints this will fall on depth ears. Quit beating a dead horse time to move on.

Post Your Comment
7/1/15 @ 10:49 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10
What level manager was this? Assistant or GM? I'd see about writing corporate if it's a chain. A letter will get more attention than a phone call. If you get no response there, then BBB is a great idea. No matter what, list only the facts. If you can't prove it don't put it to paper (you might know it was sewage but you can't definitively prove it). Same if you decide to leave a poor review online.

Post Your Comment
7/1/15 @ 6:27 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09
It may sound dumb, but I recommend you file a complaint online with the BBB. It only takes a few minutes of your time, and it really seems to bother hospitality companies especially. If that doesn't get their attention nothing will.

Post Your Comment
7/1/15 @ 6:13 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
Well I finally talked to a manager and that did not go well. First he told me the water dripping was from condensation built up on the ceiling from the AC. After I told him there was a hole in the ceiling the size of a fist and that plaster and water had fallen on my mother he said that they were almost checking out anyway and because my mom complained, but not in a disturbance way he offered to write a apology letter and upgrade her next time to a suite with no extra charge. I told him if that was his final decision I would just write the hotel management a letter and also discussed his poor customer service (not calling people back when they said they would) and poor communication with the staff there as obviously a maintenance person there would no that their previous pipe fix did not work and that is why the ceiling piece fell. I am to the point where I don't even care about compensation as I found a place that is better right down the road for $70 cheaper, but more about venting to someone to get their heads out the sand. He did say to me that it was fresh water that fell on mom, but I believe him as far as I could throw him.

Edited on 7/1/15 6:15 PM
Post Your Comment
6/27/15 @ 9:03 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
Killroy, No its not a bs thread and no the guy did not call me after he was supposed to. I was going to call him, but now will wait until Monday and then see what happened to that part of the equation.

Post Your Comment
6/26/15 @ 10:52 PM
Shoot Straight
Shoot Straight
USER since 10/31/06
To funny PSE/

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 36 Posts