Warning. Ticks are out.

3/11/14 @ 4:50 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishs
fishs
MEMBER since 2/17/04
Couldn't believe what I found crawling on my dog after a walk in a short grassy area next to a wooded ravine in S.E. Wisconsin. It appears to be a Deer tick. I will take it to the County Health Dept tomorrow for a better look under a microscope. This is the second time I have found a tick on her at this location. The first one was last November. Going to have to think twice about walking her there this year.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 48 Posts
5/14/15 @ 2:01 PM
NRAguy
NRAguy
USER since 6/17/01
ouch..

Post Your Comment
5/14/15 @ 10:45 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER since 6/14/05
saw a post the other day about using a lint roller to remove ticks, the idea is good, not sure it will work, would be a fast brush over to check for them, at least on clothing....

Post Your Comment
5/14/15 @ 7:50 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
Put a couple plants in the garden last night and came in to find a deer tick attached to my thigh. Walked across my yard only, garden is all dirt yet. Don't think he was there too long though. Would have preferred a wood tick.... Have had more ticks around my house than up north this year so far, usually its the other way around.

Edited on 5/14/15 7:51 AM
Post Your Comment
5/13/15 @ 9:22 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
USER since 3/14/03
Swiped 8 off myself while fishing a crappie hole from shore the other day. Already paranoid about the annual camping trip in less than two weeks. Hate em passionately.

Post Your Comment
5/13/15 @ 9:12 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
ticks have been out for weeks

Post Your Comment
5/13/15 @ 9:10 PM
haf2fsh
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01
Last Friday I picked up two ticks while mushroom hunting, I had them on my tummy. Was able to get them out successfully. Today I was tick free but had everything tucked in and taped up. I sprayed myself down with a mixture of white vinegar & water. Cup of vinegar and third cup of water spray on shoes, pants and shirt. Ticks don't like the smell it repels them. Sounds crazy but I think it works.

Post Your Comment
5/13/15 @ 8:03 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Thanks for the link LS...

You are absolutely correct - as far as pick your poison, I think you made the right choice!

Post Your Comment
5/12/15 @ 10:02 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I saw a few at my place in Price County but then again my yard is mostly mud from just having a well and septic installed. I did walk in the wood a bit and didn't see any on me. One that I did see though was crawling up my kitchen cabinets, think it crawled under my screen door and got inside.

When I have to go in the woods more, for say turkey hunting, I use the Permethrin clothing soak. I swear by that, had a real good test of it a few years ago. I hunted with a buddy for half a day. When we got back to the truck I was tick-free. He picked off over 20 from his clothes, no lie. Maybe even 30. We sat on the same log, right next to each other. Little weird doing the clothing soak though since you have to wear gloves and not get it on your skin, but once its dry its fine. Lymes or chemicals, pick your poison lol.

I use this one: http://www.shop.biteandstings.com/product.sc?productId=106

Edited on 5/12/15 10:09 AM
Post Your Comment
5/12/15 @ 9:43 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I avoid 'shrooming in certain parts of the county (and adjacent counties) because there are more deer ticks than wood ticks.

My eyes ain't what they used-to-be.

Anyone know anything about menthol rubs as a tick repellent?

Post Your Comment
5/12/15 @ 9:28 AM
wioutdoors74
wioutdoors74
USER since 10/24/12
I was up in Oneida County this past weekend. I agree w/ a previous poster: worst I've seen in years. Weather was perfect Saturday for tromping around the woods. We stopped counting after we hit 100 ticks on our clothes. Quite a few deer ticks too. And it didn't seem to matter if we were in the deep woods or walking logging roads. The whole damn tick army was out!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 48 Posts