Vehicle problems--Auto Mechanics Help!

10/27/06 @ 5:07 AM
ORIGINAL POST
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02
I looked for a current thread on this subject, but there was none started.

My dilema, I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado pick up, the tach has not worked properly for about 6 months and now the speedometer does not work properly. I called the dealership, and he said I might need a whole new insturment cluster, that sounds costly. My question is this, is this the only way to fix it, and does anybody out there have or had a similar problem, and what did you do,

Thank you, Big Mac77

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,075 Posts
9/25/17 @ 9:29 PM
Perchhound
Perchhound
USER since 12/5/07
Make sure your condenser is clean as well as your radiator.  Lack of air flow through the condenser will cause lots of air conditioning problems.  That's what usually caused freeze up.  Lack of air flow.  You see this a lot on window units that are just dirty.  Same thing happens on walk in coolers and freezers.  If you can't see through it then it's dirty. Shine a flash light unto a mirror and aim it so it reflects back through the condenser. You should see the light come through the unit clearly.  If it seems restricted, time for a cleaning.  Simple green and a hose works good.

Post Your Comment
9/25/17 @ 4:07 PM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
USER since 6/27/08

I don't think those Jiffy Lubers are qualified to diagnose an ac system.  I wouldn't worry about  it until after your trip.  The weather is going to cool down so it won't be so damn hot.  The ac might work for awhile but if stops then just roll down the window and feel the nice breeze.

Here's what one website said the issue might be

Intermittent cooling is often caused by the components of your vehicle's AC system freezing up. Typically an iced over evaporator is the culprit. An evaporator covered in ice can't cool the air, so you would have to wait until the ice melts, which is why the cold air eventually returns

Edited on 9/25/17 4:07 PM
Post Your Comment
9/25/17 @ 3:37 PM
stuckinMO
stuckinMO
USER since 7/24/03
The Mrs.'s 2014 Grand Cherokee:  Yesterday's 6 hour drive from WI to St. Louis, 3 hours in the air conditioning went, blowing only hot air.  She got home last night and I took it for a drive about 2 hours later...runs fine.  This morning, took 10-15 miles to cool down but eventually did.  We have another 8 hour drive coming this Thursday.  Can't get in it to any of the places I trust before then.  Is having it diagnosed at a Valvoline or Juffy Lube oil change place sensible or are they not a good option?   Admittedly mechanically inept myself.

Post Your Comment
6/16/17 @ 5:16 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
USER since 2/5/05

Anyone ever put a vinyl wrap on a vehicle? I have a 1998 S10 Blazer that I would like to cover up the liver spots  and vandalism. 

Post Your Comment
5/29/17 @ 10:59 PM
LIL MAN
LIL MAN
USER since 5/20/08

order the parts from Rock Auto online they cheap and do the labor yourself its about a half a day then just take it in for a front end alignment. 

Edited on 5/29/17 11:00 PM
Post Your Comment
5/29/17 @ 6:49 AM
countyline
countyline
USER since 1/2/13

BT,

Jack up the front tires. Put one hand under the tire, one on top. Pull with bottom hand, push with top. Repeat in reverse. No movement ball joints good. If there is movement, the amount of it will determine what stage of wore out they are at.

Any major cupping of your front tires?

Acceleration and braking shaking would be felt on tire rod ends. 

Google dodge death wooble. 

Ball joints  are more apt to fail at low speeds, and turns in parking lots per say. It will feel as if turning on dry pavement with the 4 wheel drive engaged. They can and will also at higher speeds.  

At 177000 you are at the point were the life expectancy maybe due.

1200 bucks to replace is not that bad. You'll get another 150k out of it.  If it were to only last a year it's still cheaper than payments. 

Post Your Comment
5/26/17 @ 6:04 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Bobber boy,

I had a similar issue with a 2012 Silverado a few years back...turns out it was a part in the rear differential that was broken...can't remember exactly what, but it it was a cleanly broken metal component in the differential....not the transmission.  Cost me about $1500 to replace it at the time. 

FYI

Post Your Comment
5/25/17 @ 4:23 PM
Bobberboy
Bobberboy
USER since 12/11/03

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 4x4, 169m miles.  Turned key on yesterday & truck showed it was in 4 wheel low.  Look @ switch, it is in 2WD.   Turn button through all modes, no change. Shift into reverse & I don't move, shift into drive, does not move.   Put it Neutral, get out of truck & try to push it, can't even budge it..  Obviously something locked up in the transfer case or somewhere.   Anyone out there have this happen or have any thoughts . 

Bought truck brand new .All I can say is as soon as I hit 150m miles, many problems started. 

Just fyi for you ram owners out there.   

Post Your Comment
5/23/17 @ 3:36 PM
split shot
split shot
USER since 6/19/01

I surprised by all these problems you guys are listing about tie rods or ball joints. I've owned and drove cars that in total have at least 1million miles. Ive rep[ace clutch friction plates, all brake components, belts, and all kind of minor stuff. (I did replace a heater core on a Mazda 3 - should have just junked that car). I've never had a problem with steering components. 

Post Your Comment
5/23/17 @ 2:58 PM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

That estimate is also incorporating shop labor which is the majority of most any service bill.  Parts aren't that much from what I recall when I had my father in law do my front end years ago, so you could probably get it done for substantially less. If you look around, I'm sure you can find someone willing to do it for cash. Or offer a day on the water on here. I'm sure you'd get a bite or two.

Things go bad in a hurry when they're already having issues. On an icy road during a snow storm this coming winter would be a bad time to stuck there thinking "You know, I should have replaced those in May."

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,075 Posts