Vehicle problems--Auto Mechanics Help!

10/27/06 @ 5:07 AM
ORIGINAL POST
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02
I looked for a current thread on this subject, but there was none started.

My dilema, I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado pick up, the tach has not worked properly for about 6 months and now the speedometer does not work properly. I called the dealership, and he said I might need a whole new insturment cluster, that sounds costly. My question is this, is this the only way to fix it, and does anybody out there have or had a similar problem, and what did you do,

Thank you, Big Mac77

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,099 Posts
5/19/18 @ 2:47 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Thanks Utah. It looked clean so I didnt give cleaning any thought.  Going to disassemble, sand it off wipe it down and start over when I get the time.  Then I have 3 more doors and 6 more hinges to do.

Cant believe Ford wants 120$$ for each hinge Fortunately some dealers will sell them online for 70. Looks like a lot of the cost is in the hardness of the metal. Very hard metal.

Edited on 5/19/18 2:55 PM
Post Your Comment
5/19/18 @ 10:13 AM
utahman
utahman
USER since 3/9/03

wipe everything down with lacquer thinner, or enamel reducer, before you do anything. Sounds like you didnt have it clean even before you primed it. If you dont want to take them off again try cleaning/ wiping them with the thinner and repaint. bare metal usually has some sort of dirt or oil on it when new.

Edited on 5/19/18 10:15 AM
Post Your Comment
5/18/18 @ 3:14 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Anyone experienced in autobody painting?  I have to replace exposed hinges in my 2003 ford E150 so I replaced 2 on the side cargo door today and the paint crinkled and peeled as soon as I tightened the bolts.  I painted them myself.

Theyre OEM bare metal. I applied 2 coats of spray can primer from the auto parts store. Then applied 3 coats of spray can paint bought at the same store.  Looked nice until I tightened the bolts then some of it flaked off so it looks like it wont be durable more than a few months or weeks. What did I do wrong?

Do I need to sand the bare metal?

Do I need to sand between coats?

Is a clear coat essential or mostly good esthetics?

Post Your Comment
4/28/18 @ 4:08 PM
split shot
split shot
USER since 6/19/01

scmuskies,

Try this, make sure your battery is fully charged, then start-up the motor using kick-starter and warm-up for a few minutes. Then shut down and try to restart using the electric starter. Please reply with your results. Thanks and good luck.

Post Your Comment
4/27/18 @ 9:05 PM
scmuskies
scmuskies
USER since 10/14/03

Dave and ifishwi - Thanks for the ideas.  The kill switch works and a brake needs to be on when starting either way.  In fact, the starter will not engage without a brake on when trying that way.

Forgot to mention I did get it to start once with the starter on the first time I got the carb back on after cleaning.  There is an auto-choke on the carb with a thermo, could thst be the issue?

Thanks again!

Edited on 4/27/18 9:06 PM
Post Your Comment
4/27/18 @ 5:53 PM
clark co chris
clark co chris
USER since 4/5/09

Thanks for the fresh input fellas!  It happened two and a half months ago, and haven't heard it since, nor had any problems.  Maybe it was a pressure issue??  Like I said, it was run for a while 3 or 4 hours before I heard the noise, and normally when I pass through the garage in complete silence, the van has sat idle for 10-12 hours.  So, again, still not sure, but no problems thus far!

Post Your Comment
4/27/18 @ 5:39 PM
Brother of the brush
Brother of the brush
USER since 1/22/12

You fellas with the fuel pump issue, a fuel pump should not run with key off.  If you hear it again, pop the gas filler cap and see if there's any pressure there or the noise stops.  Possible the pressure from being run is slowly bleeding off somehow, just a guess.

Post Your Comment
4/27/18 @ 5:35 PM
Brother of the brush
Brother of the brush
USER since 1/22/12

BT, Put a heavy piece of plastic down before putting the car in the shed.  Helps prevent moisture from coming up directly under car.

Post Your Comment
4/27/18 @ 3:04 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05

I'm no expert here, but try this... hold the brake while using the electric start.

Post Your Comment
4/27/18 @ 12:36 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Getting Clark Co Chris on his fuel pump issue.  Did you ever find a problem or get a repair?  

On my subaru 2013 I often hear a humming sound when parked, sounds like the fuel pump but I keep forgetting mention it to the dealer. Been like this since new in 2013 and never a problem so I am thinking its something normal.  To shut it off I just get in and turn the key on and the noise stops.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,099 Posts