Vehicle problems--Auto Mechanics Help!

10/27/06 @ 4:07 AM
ORIGINAL POST
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02
I looked for a current thread on this subject, but there was none started.

My dilema, I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado pick up, the tach has not worked properly for about 6 months and now the speedometer does not work properly. I called the dealership, and he said I might need a whole new insturment cluster, that sounds costly. My question is this, is this the only way to fix it, and does anybody out there have or had a similar problem, and what did you do,

Thank you, Big Mac77

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,080 Posts
9/28/17 @ 10:33 AM
stuckinMO
stuckinMO
USER since 7/24/03

Got it into the dealership.  They said it's clean and running fine and not to run air on cabin recycled setting when on long trips.  Really...that's the best they got? 

Long trip to MN tonight & probably won't have to run air anyway.  Will be listening to the Pack go from left to right on my radio dial...

Post Your Comment
9/26/17 @ 5:32 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15

You could also buy a cheap can of tetraflourotheyne with a gauge and just see what your low side pressure is. 

Post Your Comment
9/26/17 @ 5:30 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15

I'd take it back to the dealer and give them the "ever since" story. Ever since you replaced my radiator my ac quit working. Maybe they'll cover it. Or just tell you what it needs. Alot of radiators have the condensers attached to them where you have recover the refrigerant prior to getting radiator out. 

Post Your Comment
9/26/17 @ 2:43 PM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
USER since 6/27/08

Interestingly enough the vehicle's ac condenser is usually mounted right up next to the radiator.

How car ac works

Post Your Comment
9/26/17 @ 11:09 AM
stuckinMO
stuckinMO
USER since 7/24/03
thanks guys. interestingly enough, had the radiator replaced two weeks ago on the dealership's dime. They were none to happy about that. Will take a look

Edited on 9/26/17 11:32 AM
Post Your Comment
9/25/17 @ 8:29 PM
Perchhound
Perchhound
USER since 12/5/07
Make sure your condenser is clean as well as your radiator.  Lack of air flow through the condenser will cause lots of air conditioning problems.  That's what usually caused freeze up.  Lack of air flow.  You see this a lot on window units that are just dirty.  Same thing happens on walk in coolers and freezers.  If you can't see through it then it's dirty. Shine a flash light unto a mirror and aim it so it reflects back through the condenser. You should see the light come through the unit clearly.  If it seems restricted, time for a cleaning.  Simple green and a hose works good.

Post Your Comment
9/25/17 @ 3:07 PM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
USER since 6/27/08

I don't think those Jiffy Lubers are qualified to diagnose an ac system.  I wouldn't worry about  it until after your trip.  The weather is going to cool down so it won't be so damn hot.  The ac might work for awhile but if stops then just roll down the window and feel the nice breeze.

Here's what one website said the issue might be

Intermittent cooling is often caused by the components of your vehicle's AC system freezing up. Typically an iced over evaporator is the culprit. An evaporator covered in ice can't cool the air, so you would have to wait until the ice melts, which is why the cold air eventually returns

Edited on 9/25/17 3:07 PM
Post Your Comment
9/25/17 @ 2:37 PM
stuckinMO
stuckinMO
USER since 7/24/03
The Mrs.'s 2014 Grand Cherokee:  Yesterday's 6 hour drive from WI to St. Louis, 3 hours in the air conditioning went, blowing only hot air.  She got home last night and I took it for a drive about 2 hours later...runs fine.  This morning, took 10-15 miles to cool down but eventually did.  We have another 8 hour drive coming this Thursday.  Can't get in it to any of the places I trust before then.  Is having it diagnosed at a Valvoline or Juffy Lube oil change place sensible or are they not a good option?   Admittedly mechanically inept myself.

Post Your Comment
6/16/17 @ 4:16 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
USER since 2/5/05

Anyone ever put a vinyl wrap on a vehicle? I have a 1998 S10 Blazer that I would like to cover up the liver spots  and vandalism. 

Post Your Comment
5/29/17 @ 9:59 PM
LIL MAN
LIL MAN
USER since 5/20/08

order the parts from Rock Auto online they cheap and do the labor yourself its about a half a day then just take it in for a front end alignment. 

Edited on 5/29/17 10:00 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,080 Posts