Vehicle problems--Auto Mechanics Help!

10/27/06 @ 5:07 AM
ORIGINAL POST
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02
I looked for a current thread on this subject, but there was none started.

My dilema, I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado pick up, the tach has not worked properly for about 6 months and now the speedometer does not work properly. I called the dealership, and he said I might need a whole new insturment cluster, that sounds costly. My question is this, is this the only way to fix it, and does anybody out there have or had a similar problem, and what did you do,

Thank you, Big Mac77

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,118 Posts
6/26/18 @ 5:45 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Got my second set of hinges painted and installed onto the Econoline. Look good for an amatuer work.  Followed Utahmans advice, cleane dthe hinges well, sanded with 400 then used 3 coats of self etching primer, 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear coat. Thats 2 more coats than the original custom work done 15 yrs ago.  Not perfect but results are better than the first set of hinges I installed.

Post Your Comment
6/25/18 @ 10:09 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Ive had that with gravel and sand in the brakes. Scary but should be harmless and falls out soon enough. 

Post Your Comment
6/25/18 @ 7:31 PM
stuckinMO
stuckinMO
USER since 7/24/03
Thx guys.  Jacked and no tire movement. Rode around block and hit brakes hard a couple of times.  Seems to have stopped.   Still going to take it to where they put them on Saturday and have em look. 

Post Your Comment
6/25/18 @ 7:26 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER since 6/14/05

stuck....had that happen to my p'up a while ago, turned out to be a small stone lodged between the rotor and brake shoe....20-25 it really screeched, apply the brakes and it stopped......

Post Your Comment
6/25/18 @ 6:56 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

To check the bearing jack up the car ,grab the tire at 12 and 6 and see if it moves when you pull and push. Any movement and it's a bad bearing. Also could be a bent backing plate rubbing.

Post Your Comment
6/25/18 @ 6:50 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03

Frozen brake caliper or wheel bearing would be my guesses.

Post Your Comment
6/25/18 @ 6:47 PM
stuckinMO
stuckinMO
USER since 7/24/03
2 new front tires put on Saturday by Firestone.  All good until tonight, loud squeal from driver side when under 20mph, goes away when brake, accelerate, or above 20mph.   Bearings? 

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 11:48 PM
ChubSucker
ChubSucker
USER since 9/3/17

Following the manufacturers recommendations ensures your warranty will not be voided. With that said, it is stated in your owners manual to change your oil after your cars computer tells you after so many engine revolutions or after a certain amount of time has passed.  

For me it is always the time limit that comes up to change the oil before the engine revolution max.  

I call BS on people who claim to change their synthetic oil every 3k miles on lake link.

Just follow the car manufacturers recommendation for type or brand of oil and the the on board computer engine revolution or the Time limit oil change.  

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 9:48 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

My point was that the last 6 new trucks I've driven have oil-change indicators that tell me an oil change is due after 10-12k miles.  Many "folks" recommend changing after 3k still, like we did 30 years ago.

Maybe I was too literal with my request for the technical details about the monitoring system.  Actually, I was truly interested in the technical specs as well, so I appreciate the technical, Dave....

I am curious why some folks are still changing oil after 3-5k, when all new engine manufacturers recommend much longer intervals.  Many think guys like me are crazy, or stupid, for following the manufacturers' recommended interval.

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 7:35 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Rockwell Automation does not “own” the DeviceNet technology or the protocol, it is governed by ODVA who’s purpose is to advance open, interoperable information and communication technologies in industrial automation. So anyone with any products and   Technologies that they want to play on it, all the information to do it is readily available for them to develop it. In industry CAN networks had their place but most are quickly moving to EtherNet/IP, CIP and CIP Safety... also governed by ODVA.

Edited on 6/15/18 7:56 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,118 Posts