Vehicle problems--Auto Mechanics Help!

10/27/06 @ 4:07 AM
ORIGINAL POST
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02
I looked for a current thread on this subject, but there was none started.

My dilema, I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado pick up, the tach has not worked properly for about 6 months and now the speedometer does not work properly. I called the dealership, and he said I might need a whole new insturment cluster, that sounds costly. My question is this, is this the only way to fix it, and does anybody out there have or had a similar problem, and what did you do,

Thank you, Big Mac77

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,135 Posts
11/11/18 @ 3:32 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

Thanks for the help. I looked online and found the lifetime warranty bulletin for 2006 chargers. I will call the dealership tomorrow. 

I drive her car because she can no longer drive so I take her car to church and lunch on Sundays when it's nice. It's a sacrifice I am willing to make.

Post Your Comment
11/11/18 @ 3:12 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Mr Seaguar there is a problem with that year charger and the 300, faulty gas tank. It probably falls under the lifetime warranty for gas tank replacement have your friend contact the dealer. There is alot of info online discussing the problem , a YouTube site that goes by torquewagon has a good video on it. Hope this helps. 

Post Your Comment
11/11/18 @ 1:18 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03

Friend had the same problem (different car) caused by over filling which caused fuel to get in the vapor vent. When filling at the gas station and the gas pump automatically shuts off, stop filling. The old habit of topping off your tank should not be done with newer cars. If that's not the problem with only 10k on it, take it to the dealer (warranty)

My question, why you filling your neighbors car ????

Post Your Comment
11/11/18 @ 12:56 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

My neighbor has a 2006 Dodge Charger daytona with less than 10,000 miles on it. Whenever I fill it up with gas, it won't stay running for some time. It will die while you are going down the road. What is up? I've never seen this, it feels like vapor lock or bad fuel filter. Thanks

Post Your Comment
11/4/18 @ 10:15 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
USER since 3/30/15
The cheapie ones are great for check engine light.  I have had one for 6 yrs.  Works great.  Only issue is that it won't pair with my iphone, but that is the iphone's issue.  Android is just fine.   For more invasive information (all modules) you need one of the high priced ones such as autel.  In my case, I use INPA (free software, BMW only).  I can access all modules with it.  For coding, I use NCS (free software, bmw only).

Post Your Comment
11/4/18 @ 9:06 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Larryallen.... Thanks.. I have a cheater plug that does that. I am looking for a reliable scanner. 

Edited on 11/4/18 9:14 AM
Post Your Comment
11/4/18 @ 9:05 AM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01

No prob. Like Dave, I live rural and if I can grab a code and make a diagnosis, I am time ahead already. For the cost, one repair puts you way ahead. 

I was going to drop a couple hundred on a pro model and figured for $20 what did I have to lose? It has it's limitations to be sure, but for the cost I have been very happy. In the 2 years since, I haven't thought about buying a pro model, this has done all I need it to.

Post Your Comment
11/4/18 @ 8:40 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

BeerTownFyreman  thanks again will dig deeper ...if any thing ..its another man toy

Post Your Comment
11/4/18 @ 8:09 AM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

I have the same setup as BTF. Works great.

Post Your Comment
11/4/18 @ 7:55 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15

Have a snap on and an autel. Look into the smaller autel. Think it's the mx808 or something. Use my autel alot.  Haven't had any problems. I know Matco has a code reader that cover engine,trans,srs,abs ect for roughly 400 as well. Most went give you bi directional capabilities at that level though. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 1,135 Posts