Vegetable Garden

6/30/04 @ 12:47 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Paladin
Paladin
USER since 6/15/01
Who's got one ? what are you growing ? and how's it coming along? Mine consists of sweet corn , cabbage , brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli ,cucumbers, zucchini, peas, tomatoes , peppers , acorn squash, pumpkins, and assorted spices. The cold wet weather hasn't been very conducive to good growth so far for me. But with warmer weather in the forecast things should turn out. I hope those of you growing fair better.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 4,295 Posts
9/29/18 @ 3:18 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Still picking in walworth county. Cukes about done ,still plenty of peppers and waiting on tomatoes. Must have picked 50 lbs of veggies today. Gonna have to make some sauce. 

Post Your Comment
9/26/18 @ 4:49 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03

Pulled out the few plants that were left in the garden. Made/canned some salsa with the last of the tomatoes and peppers. Rototilled the whole thing, officially done for the year, except for two trees full of very good apples.

Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 6:04 PM
beachcomber II
beachcomber II
USER since 12/7/13

the wife gave me a bucket and said pick some tomatoes for in the house. since i ate the last ones on wed. alot of the tomatoes left in garden must be spliting from all the rain . romas were pretty good but i thru alot of other ones away. still nice to get some yet. have a fair amount of green ones yet.  

Post Your Comment
9/16/18 @ 5:18 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Picked tomatoes and cukes still getting loads. 

Post Your Comment
9/8/18 @ 4:47 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Still getting loads of cukes , for some reason I planted habanero peppers I don't want them but my sons wife does she's Mexican and I guess has a sauce she makes. I'm glad I hate to waste.

Post Your Comment
9/8/18 @ 1:36 PM
beachcomber II
beachcomber II
USER since 12/7/13

made second batch of salsa on thursday nite. today blanched and froze 5 gal bucket 16 bags of beets. planted the red and white beets this year seemed pretty sweet flavor. dug potatoes and finished off cucumbers. pulled acouple kohlrabi from second planting only five left in garden. and tomatoe plants are all that are left . will pull few weeds in strawberries yet tomorrow and till rest of garden. 

Post Your Comment
9/8/18 @ 12:17 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Now all of the tomatillos are ripening all at once.  I made an experimental batch of enchilada sauce this morning from a recipe I found online. It turned out sweet with just enough spice using two garden salsa peppers.  I think it would be too spicy for most if I would have added all of the peppers called for. Super simple recipe.  The recipe as written only yields two pints so we’re going to ramp it up to a quadruple batch tomorrow using the rest of the tomatillos and some green heirloom tomatoes we put in the freezer.  The recipe says they can be used interchangeably.

http://montanahomesteader.com/green-tomato-tomatillo-enchilada-sauce-recipe/

Post Your Comment
9/3/18 @ 9:38 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06

I use those green bags too, Carpio. But for some reason the leeks last longer without them. No idea why, but they do. The green bags do seem to work the best for most other veggies 

Post Your Comment
9/3/18 @ 3:19 PM
beachcomber II
beachcomber II
USER since 12/7/13

bugle - cherry tomatoes will split with all the rain we are getting. pulled all my last beans today b lanched and froze. making another batch of salsa after work tomorrow. just not enough time today after getting home from camping .winterized camper.

Post Your Comment
9/3/18 @ 11:03 AM
Carpio
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

JB.     Go on-line.   DEBBIE MEYER has special green plastic bags just for storing fresh fruits and vegetables. They slow the ripening process.I use them and they work well.      CARPIO 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 4,295 Posts