Vegetable Garden

6/30/04 @ 1:47 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Paladin
Paladin
USER since 6/15/01
Who's got one ? what are you growing ? and how's it coming along? Mine consists of sweet corn , cabbage , brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli ,cucumbers, zucchini, peas, tomatoes , peppers , acorn squash, pumpkins, and assorted spices. The cold wet weather hasn't been very conducive to good growth so far for me. But with warmer weather in the forecast things should turn out. I hope those of you growing fair better.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 4,269 Posts
8/15/18 @ 8:36 AM
wini
wini
USER since 3/27/06

Carpio

Tell us which of the many recipes for pickles that you used.

Post Your Comment
8/13/18 @ 1:20 PM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

Anyone have any trouble with powdery mildew on their squash? Noticed it on a couple of my zucchini and butternut squash plants. Doesn't seem to be harming the plant and from what I've read, it doesn't sound like it is too serious. Is it even worth trying to kill it off?

Post Your Comment
8/13/18 @ 12:29 PM
Carpio
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

I made refrigerator pickles for the first time. Best I ever ate!   Takes only 1 hr. No boiling.  Look up “ Sweet And Spicy Refrigerator Pickles “.  You won’t be sorry!  CARPIO 

Post Your Comment
8/13/18 @ 8:41 AM
wini
wini
USER since 3/27/06

Made a few quarts of tomato garden sauce this weekend  Roasted tomatoes with lots of garden herbs, and then cooked down for a few hours after going through a food mill.

Post Your Comment
8/9/18 @ 12:27 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Loads of cukes ,peppers and tomatoes are really starting ,time to make pickles. 

Post Your Comment
8/8/18 @ 8:58 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03

JayB, never grew a black cherry tomato, pretty impressive.

I was going to pull all my sugar snap peas last week as they were getting yellow and dried out leaves. Glad I didn't get to it, another gallon today, 12 gallons for the season.

Tomatoes starting to ripen faster every day and green beans going nuts, picking every other day just to keep up.

Post Your Comment
8/7/18 @ 11:06 AM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06

Some things are growing the best they ever have this year. Had a great black cherry tomato last year, let some wild seedlings grow up this spring. This one already reached 9.5 ft (shown next to 6 ft ladder) before I trimmed it down to 8 ft. Dont want my wife to have to use a ladder to pick em, lol. Also my best pickle plant ever. One plant growing 12 ft in one direction and 7 ft in another direction.  Total of 19 ft of vines and its only first week of August! The hot peppers didnt like all the rain tho, not producing very well. Also a rabbit figured out he could jump my 26 inch fence. Been mowing down my lettuce. My first fence jumper.  I named this terrorist bunny Dennis Hopper. Dennis always played tha bad guy in the movies. I'm ready to get the trap or the air gun out.....

Edited on 8/7/18 11:28 AM
Post Your Comment
8/1/18 @ 5:49 PM
Madgill
Madgill
MEMBER since 12/26/01

Big beef variety. I got the plants at Jungs. My second year with them and very pleased! Not the biggest tomato, but never a split or bad tomato. I have 24 plants crammed in a quite small space, the tomatoes are loaded! I did plant one black krim heirloom this year, every one has split like in the pic.

Post Your Comment
8/1/18 @ 7:49 AM
wini
wini
USER since 3/27/06

Madgill

What blight resistant beef steak did you plant?

Post Your Comment
7/31/18 @ 7:07 PM
Madgill
Madgill
MEMBER since 12/26/01

Ha, that's a little "pattypan" squash, I have grown them, not a big fan, not much taste to them. Tomatoes doing great here, disease resistant big beef plants produce well, no blight at all. I do miss the heirlooms and the great taste, but got tired of dealing with the blight. Jap beetles were bad here also, constant hand picking, covered the raspberries with row cover, that helped. Just keep picking them off, they should be done soon, perhaps another week?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 4,269 Posts