US Cellular- beware

1/17/15 @ 1:22 PM
ORIGINAL POST
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
When is a smart phone not a smart phone? When it's on US Cellular's network. In the last few weeks I've found sketchy reception and data at: 1. Minocqua area 2. Lake Emily, by Fox Lake 3. Crystal Lake, by Lodi Kind of defeats the purpose if they have no coverage. Dull EDIT: Have to say I'm happier with them now. Rock solid service in house (Verizon had none) and good service at Mason Lake (Briggsville) and Muscoda backwaters today has me re-thinking my review. More data needed.
Edited on 1/24/15 5:16 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 34 Posts
1/24/15 @ 6:17 PM
HardCore Walleye
HardCore Walleye
USER since 4/17/08
I have a Galaxy S4 with US Cellular and do pretty good. When I had the Galaxy S3 I was ready to throw that thing threw a wall! Drop calls, No service etc! I hated it so much I sold it and bought a Motorola Moto X. Great phone, Motorola has the best reception in the business. They actually have a patent on the metal used in the antenna. I'm just not a fan of Motorola O.S. Kinda boring. I found this Galaxy S4 at a steal and was going to turn around and make some money off a resale but I really liked the phone. I ended up selling the Motorola and keeping the S4 lol.

After that Galaxy S3, I told myself I would never own a Samsung phone again but this S4 has changed my mind!

US Cell has only given me one problem since I've been a customer. I've been a customer since US Cell was called Cellular One. Last year they double charged me one time while they were doing their system upgrade. Otherwise I've been pretty pleased with them!

Post Your Comment
1/24/15 @ 5:13 PM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
Fair is fair.

Out at Muscoda at the a$$ end of nowhere on a slough ice fishing, and 4G on the US Cell.

Might have sold them short when the first 3 places I went were sketchy. Last two were in the sticks and good.

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 6:11 PM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
"Talked to US Cell and they said to switch the phone as the S series was having those issues."

That alone should frighten people more than anything I said.

So they told you to dump what is basically the most popular phone in the country to try an off brand, and the off brand works better?

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-market-share.jsp

Samsung- selling 1 out of 4 cell phones on the planet

Moto- less than 5%, lumped in with "Others"

I buy your story though. My buddy has an ancient Galaxy S3 and gets lightning fast 4G service in his house- over twice as fast as I've ever gotten with my leading edge LG G3.

I wonder if they have slow rollout of good software for newer phones, or if newer phones have a different type of radio that doesn't work as well on their network?

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 9:37 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
In areas where there is NO service at all, the expense should not an irritant (since it is a one time expense), but some will complain about most everything. The nice thing about the one specific to Verizon is that you have configuration ability (through MyVerizon)to prioritize devices that connect to it.

Depending on your negotiating skills you may not have to pay for the device at all. I think your standing to negotiate might be a bit better if other carriers work where Verizon does not.. I know someone that got it for free in the end and had NO service at their house.. Wink

Edited on 1/20/15 9:38 AM
Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 9:25 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
http://www.pcworld.com/article/194059/wireless_dead_zone.html?page=2

Femtocell is the actual name of the devices. I think the non-carrier affiliated Femtocells can be found cheaper. We needed one in Fall River and it worked great. We went with the Verizon offered device. Sucks to have to pay to make some one else's product work, but no cell carrier worked in our house. Sold it to our neighbors when we moved to it proved to be a good investment.

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 8:19 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Sounds like Verizon and the mini tower (Network Extender) might be my only option.

As an only option it works fantastic.. also solves the problem. If one refuses to use something that works, they probably won't have any or many options, but that is their choice.

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 8:13 AM
DLAMA2
DLAMA2
USER since 5/1/05
I think a lot of times it is the phone and not the service when it comes to which companies to use.

My Moto X gets service just about anywhere in the state.

I had the S4 or 5 whatever it was and I could not get service in my house. Was starting to get a little po'd as a lot of contractors have to reach me after hours for bidding. Talked to US Cell and they said to switch the phone as the S series was having those issues. Have not looked back.

Post Your Comment
1/19/15 @ 9:08 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Dave Thanks for that info

Post Your Comment
1/19/15 @ 6:53 PM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
"Well which one is it? "

It was both.

Verizon's network worked great everywhere for me- but my house.

I have Charter phone/cable modem/tv, but the only people who call us on the landline are charities, surveys, and politicians.

Was thinking about scrapping the landline as I'm tired of the panhandlers. I thought if US Cell had good home coverage and good 3G data when up North or fishing, I could go all cell.

Sounds like Verizon and the mini tower might be my only option.

To be fair, had 4G on Mason Lake by Briggsville today, so that's 1 of 3 area lakes I've fished lately that worked.

Edited on 1/19/15 6:55 PM
Post Your Comment
1/19/15 @ 2:36 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Needs a DSL (or Internet) connection (ENet input, plugs into a switch or router)... It has to be put by a window because it has a GPS antenna .. I have never tried to move it from location to location, but assume it would work anywhere in the US where there are Verizon dead spots.. would not be practical for "mobile" applications.. I am sure part of the GPS function is for 911 calls...

It has a 110v adapter (110VAC to 12VDC) so the input voltage is 12VDC and I assume milliamps..

Here is a link to the Users Guide:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/pdf/network_extender_user_manual.pdf

Edited on 1/19/15 2:43 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 34 Posts