U.S. Armed Services Honors

2/29/16 @ 11:44 AM
ORIGINAL POST
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
I thought it might be nice to have a thread devoted to recognizing U.S. Armed Services Honors. So have at it! EDIT: My original thought for this thread was to have a place to mention U.S. Armed Services members who received some sort of award, but actually, it seems to me that there's no reason to limit the scope of the thread. As indicated in Dave's and Ed's posts, there are plenty of reasons to recognize those who have served our country, and the fact is that we likely interact with one or more of them each day without even realizing it. So, as I initially posted, have at it. It would be cool to hear more about personal experiences with service members amongst your neighbors, co-workers, etc. Vive la U.S. Armed Services!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
3/8/16 @ 9:02 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
Navy SEALs tell top House lawmaker they don't have enough combat rifles

Seriously?

"Sharing rifles may seem inconsequential. It's not. The weapons, which are outfitted with telescopic targeting sights and laser pointers, are fine-tuned to individual specifications and become intensely personal pieces of gear."

Bureaucracy: Ain't it a beautiful thing? Puke

Post Your Comment
3/2/16 @ 11:06 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Good for you Ed.. There is never anything wrong with sharing your appreciation, respect and gratitude.

Post Your Comment
3/2/16 @ 10:28 AM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Yesterday morning I went to renew my drivers license. While I was waiting a young man walked in and he had artificial arms and legs. He was very mobile but you can't help to not notice. While waiting in line I figured out he was a casualty of war. This Hero in my book gave a huge part of his body to help us and other people be safe. I wanted to approach him but didn't. I didn't want to possibly offend him or anything like that. Finally after taking my test, I was ashamed of myself, and did walk over to him and told him Thanks for serving our country and he is defiantly a hero in my eyes. He said Thank you sir you are welcome. Thanks to everyone that has ever served in the service!!!!!!!!!

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
3/2/16 @ 9:58 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
This might fit here...

US Special Operations troops capture ISIS operative in Iraq

A report in The New York Times described the operative as a "significant" member of the terror group.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/03/02/us-special-operations-troops-capture-isis-operative-in-iraq.html?intcmp=hplnws

Post Your Comment
2/29/16 @ 3:40 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
Not a Medal of Honor recipient, but certainly deserves mention:

Injured U.S. vets now hunting child predators

"...defending your country doesn't come without its share of danger. Sgt. Block's life changed on October 6, 2013, when he and fellow Rangers embarked on a direct-action raid to root out insurgent bombing attacks.

"Block spotted a couple in a courtyard and ordered the two to put their hands in the air. That's when one of the insurgents detonated an explosive strapped to her body.

"He says: "From what I'm told the explosion leveled some of the house. The only thing that separated me [from the suicide bomber> was the guy I was holding onto. And all of his bones ended up in my American flag that was wrapped around my plates and melted. And I think I got a chunk of him in my cheek, because I have shrapnel lodged in there."

"In 2014, Block was named the Army Times' "Soldier of the Year" for courage displayed on the battlefield and his ability to inspire and motivate other soldiers during his rehabilitation."

Post Your Comment
2/29/16 @ 11:47 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
Navy SEAL receives Medal of Honor for hostage rescue

"When the other rescue team members asked Joseph to identify himself, Byers heard an unknown voice speaking English and "immediately leaped across the room and selflessly flung his body on top of the American hostage, shielding him from the continued rounds being fired across the room," the report said.

"The report also stated that while shielding Joseph with his body, Byers engaged another insurgent and "was able to pin the enemy combatant to the wall with his hand around the enemy's throat" until the other members of the team could "fire precision shots" to kill the final enemy guard."

"Byers will be the 11th living service member to be awarded the Medal of Honor for actions in Afghanistan."

America's finest at work, Thank-you, Sir!

Post Your Comment