TV antenna

1/8/18 @ 6:46 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Brown haired monarch
Brown haired monarch
USER since 1/8/18

I have a cabin in northern Price county along the Ashland county border. I am looking for ideas  and suggestions  for a TV antenna to add to my TV at the cabin . Thanks 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts
1/14/18 @ 12:26 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER since 7/17/09

Ifishwi,  yes, you will need internet to the tv. Either wifi or hardwired connection from your router. Most people just use wifi with there smart tvs. Sounds like you have a smart tv for the hartford house.

Post Your Comment
1/13/18 @ 5:53 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05

I been following this thread a bit as I have similar situation(s) and changes. Hope this doesn't get too long...

All I ever had at the cabin (near Eagle River) is an old rabbit ears and digital TV. Started w/analog = 2 stations with only one good. Had digital converter for awhile = 5 stations usually good. Now just a digital TV and same rabbit ears but seeking better choices. I figured over the air was never going to get me much anyway.

I currently live in St. Francis and switched from TW to Uverse few years ago. Now I'm moving to Hartford and Uverse is not available there yet so they recommend switch to DirecTV. I like Uverse and tried for a seemless move, but now I'm stuck where to go from here.

I have a new TV for Hartford with lots of built-in capabilities (Rocu, WIFI, ect.). Some clarity needed as a few questions below seemed to not have been answered... Don't I still need an internet broadband service to the house, and in-house WIFI? I'm ready to make the switch but just don't understand where I'll be on total monthly costs. Please help.

Post Your Comment
1/12/18 @ 11:07 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
You can do the same with sling. Only difference is you can't with local channels. $6 month can get hulu and get all the network shows plus some. I'm still half the price I was with direct.

Post Your Comment
1/12/18 @ 10:48 PM
Muskyhunter440
Muskyhunter440
MEMBER since 6/1/04

I understand your displeasure with your previous tv provider.  The cost of service and equipment charges nowadays does not match what your receiving in return.  I do believe you have to get lucky by talking to the right agent at the right time by phone. Some offer no help or do not seem to care and others will go out of their way to keep you a customer. With directv having the ability to record multiple shows at one time, pausing/rewinding live tv, on demand movies, and now having the ability to start most shows from the beginning even without recording has been great. Not sure what abilities you have with sling or if those options even matter to most people.  Convenience and more abilities with tv comes at a price, but to each his own, certain people do not need all that.  I really don't get to watch tv much because of work, but the wife and kids like it. Happy wife, happy life. 

Post Your Comment
1/12/18 @ 12:09 PM
Cambridge
Cambridge
USER since 3/21/14

Prop, same thing happen to us.  We were with Direct for 20+years and was seeing all of the great deals for new customers. I called to see if they'd offer and I was told NO. So finally got tired of it and made the switch.

Post Your Comment
1/12/18 @ 8:39 AM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
You have to call on the right day. One day they will drop the price next day they won't. I was told one day get 50 off a month plus Sunday ticket for 2 years. Somehow my phone cut out. Didn't call back till next day that offer was gone. Same happened to my father in law.  Got sick of the crap and cancelled. Then got offer for $400 gft card. Sling is just as good and rain and snow don't take out the tv.

Post Your Comment
1/12/18 @ 2:54 AM
Muskyhunter440
Muskyhunter440
MEMBER since 6/1/04

I moved to my new house last June 2017 and was going to switch from Directv to Dish, so I called them and told them I was going to drop them for a competitor and they dropped my tv bill $45 for 1 year just for staying a customer.  I have AT&T and they merged or own Directv now.  I switched over to their unlimited data plan which includes HBO free for life and $25 bill credit as long as you have the unlimited data plan.  4 cell phones(all unlimited data) and also have a home base(unlimited internet and a land line included).  My Directv bill went from $154 to $78.  Asked the agent what if I dont like the price after a year, he told me to call back and ask to disconnect again, they would likely offer me the same deal.  Sometimes all it takes is a call to an agent, they really do not want to loose customers.  Though my cell bill went up it really helps not monitoring the kids data so we do not go over our limit. 

Post Your Comment
1/11/18 @ 12:28 PM
Skunky
Skunky
USER since 3/15/14

Local channels not a problem, still antenea. I guess Illnhave to buy a stick as see wherebI go from there!!! Thanx for all the info. 

Post Your Comment
1/11/18 @ 12:23 PM
Cambridge
Cambridge
USER since 3/21/14

More on Sling...I do have a small outside antenna on the cottage and another antenna in the attic (above the garage at home) .  This allows me to get all the major networks for Packer games.  Sling also has 2 or 3 ESPN channels. 

Your Sling subscription does cover only 1 TV, (but can also be streamed to your ipad/laptop for those long waits in airports etc)  which has never really been a problem since 75% of what we watch is network TV anyways.

When I first made the switch I left the Direct Tv operational, went and bought a $35 Roku stick plugged it into the TV and opened the 30 day free trial of Sling.  That way if I didn't like it after a month I was only out the $35 and could go back to Direct.

Sling does allow you to ala cart channels too. For instance my wife likes some morning news channels so I've added a group of channels for $5/mo.  I've also added several other Free outdoor bowhunting/hunting channels. Also, if you have Amazon Prime you can load that app which has lots of free shows and free movies.

Quite a deal in my opinion.

Post Your Comment
1/11/18 @ 8:43 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Thanks Cambridge.  I know we have streamed Amazon Prime video already and its okay, but gets blocky at times.  Usually works though.  We also started getting seasons of various shows from the library for free.  I don't really care if I'm current on that stuff, as long as its new to me.  We watched all of Breaking Bad that way and Dexter.  Started GoT now too.  I may be way behind but its not costing me anything.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts