trailer tire life.

10/13/15 @ 3:22 PM
ORIGINAL POST
rks
rks
MEMBER since 1/22/06
I see that a lot of sites are saying the life expectancy of a boat trailer is 5 years even if it's a brand new and unused spare tire because of the compounds breaking down. Especially troublesome are the Goodyear Marathons. How many of you have heard it and adhere to the practice of replacing your tires every 5 years? And what are you buying?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
10/15/15 @ 6:31 AM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
I average about 2 years. Been buying non-radial cheapies though. Maybe I need to look at the radials. What would you guys suggest for a decent tire under $80?

Post Your Comment
10/15/15 @ 3:19 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
I go more than 5 years, but then get nervous out near 10. Much depends on use. A tire problem along the road can be a pain, plan ahead as able.

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 4:17 PM
Route66
Route66
USER since 6/22/01
I bought my boat in for storage and the guy say's to me, Your treads are gone.... It was running on the canvas liner.. Don't know how long. It wasn't flat.

Ditto on Discount tire's they are very good. They give you a walking out the door price.

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 2:25 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
Ha, ha, rks, I found the same info and was about to post it when I realized you'd already done so.

Most of what's been posted in this thread is anecdotal or conjecture, if it were me, I think I'd be inclined to suck it up and replace trailer tires based on the time cycle referenced by Discount Tire.

FWIW, Discount Tire has proven to me and a handful of friends to be straight-shooters, and they provide great customer service and great value.

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 1:51 PM
rks
rks
MEMBER since 1/22/06
Some tire info I found supporting the 5 year rule. Also pay attention to the speed rating of the standard ST (special trailer)) tires. 65 mph is it. I know a lot of the bass boat guys over at bassboatcentral are using a special line of 99 mph rated tires for trailers made by Kumho and Maxxi. I need tires so I'm in the process of doing my research now. I know it won't be Goodyear Marathons made in china. Some good photos over at BBC showing them blowing up and the damage they do.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.do

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 8:17 AM
Foundry Rat
Foundry Rat
USER since 1/21/10
I put on so many miles I wear them out in 2 yrs. My dad is retired and he wears his out in less than a year. I found that under inflating boat tires helps the tread wear more evenly and I get more miles out of them. Otherwise the tread is gone in the middle and the edges still have tread and they get replaced in half the time.

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 6:09 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
I have a 16' aluminum boat on a Shorelander trailer. First set of Carsile tires went 17 years before they had uneven wear and were replaced. Boat is stored indoors so the tires only see road life and not UV time. I would guess average of a 1000 miles a year.

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 5:49 PM
Twister
Twister
MEMBER since 6/15/01
I change my every 5 years just because I would not rather interrupt a fishing trip with a flat tire.

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 5:42 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I think what type of traveling your trailer does has a lot to do with it. 1) Are you running local with hardly any speed involved? 2) Are you running hundreds of miles at 72-75mph? How heavy is your load? I'm the one running 300 miles at over 70mph. 5 yrs is wishing well for me. It's different for every situation, so you must take a look at what you actually do every year and get the correct size and rating. Good trailer tires ain't cheap!

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 5:37 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
UV kills them.. I think non use kills them as much as anything. You really should jack your trailer up if you plan on not using it and cover the tires or remove them and store them.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts