MORE
General Discussion

Tourists

1/22/19 @ 12:15 PM
INITIAL POST
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

NPR had an interesting radio show regarding the topic of tourism. While Wisconsin is a destination for tourists in many different area's of the state, It may not always be a good thing according to their guest they had on. Unfortunately I can't remember her name but she was an "expert" on world travel and tourism. Her slant was very different than what I expected to hear considering she was an advocate of not attracting tourists. Her opinion was that only a limited amount of businesses actually profit from tourists while the communities in that area foot the bill for all the extra expenses related to tourists. More roads, upkeep, law enforcement, litter and much larger costs to local governments that must be done that are paid for by those taxpayers in the entire community while only a very few business owners reap the profits. I understand motels, restaurants, gas stations on a few others want the influx but she said no one profits except those select business owners. Very interesting. Maybe something to consider for some area's. Thought provoking for sure.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 41 posts
1/25/19 @ 8:43 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I have a unique perspective spending my summers as a youth at a resort on Plum Lake. 

The same folks come back again year after year after year.  Some folks have been coming up for 50 years. Now their kids bring their kids, and come up for 1 to 2 weeks annually. The amount of money that visitors pump into the local economy is absolutely astounding, really good folks too - salt of the earth.  

Aside from cabin rental (which includes a 4.5% room tax payable to the Town of Plum Lake), they rent pontoon boats for the week, hire fishing guides, buy bait + tackle, firewood, groceries, beer + liquor, go out to eat, shop in Minocqua / Boulder, stop at Wal-Mart for suntan lotion, fuel, the list is practically endless. Ask any tavern, restaurant, marina, or bait shop if they could make it without visitors.  

Also, as mentioned before, I can't think of a single publicly funded service any of the visitors use. Sure, it's nice to know if the police or an ambulance are called they'll show up, but that would certainly be the exception rather than the rule.

I really don't know that an argument can be made that tourism doesn't benefit the Northwoods in a very positive way.   

1/25/19 @ 6:44 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I know many many who wouldn't buy or live near Minocqua Eagle River nor Boulder Junction even though they can afford it.  They love the more remote places and that's where theyre living til they die.

1/25/19 @ 6:15 PM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08

'Tis a pity some folks choose to delete their posts. Mayhaps, the opinions were not what they could support. 

1/25/19 @ 4:19 PM
phishin phool
phishin phool

USAbrams1991, I feel sorry for you. You must have been raised in the city or some area that was lacking in trees, birds, wildlife in general and, people that appreciate the small simple things in life. 

1/25/19 @ 3:18 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Families want zip lines, they want movie theaters, water parks, petting zoos, jet skiis.

They should save some driving and stop in the Dells.  Or, just stay in whatever city they're coming from.

Up north vacations aren't about getting away to nature any more, 

Not true.  Some folks are just finding the quiet spots away from the city folks (Minocxious, Sayner, ER, etc) .  There are plenty of places to the North and West of Vilas County where a guy can enjoy nature (peace and quiet) away from the cidiots.

That's why I like PI so much.  The hippies really don't want much outside influence.  They like it quiet.  No ATV's.  No big hotels.  No real development.

1/25/19 @ 2:54 PM
phishin phool
phishin phool

USAbrams1991, your assessment of Land O' Lakes is a tad bit shy of correct. There was a grocery store there LESS then 5 years ago. It slowed down in 2016 and did shutter in 2017. However, there is a new one being constructed as I type this. Please, if you are going to slam one of our little towns, at least be correct when you do.

As for the fishing...if it is so bad..why do you still fish here and post photos???

1/25/19 @ 1:57 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

If there's a town up north that's an example of tourism gone bad, it's Land O Lakes. Stark contrast to Boulder Junction. No new business, no new growth, business turnover/closing so fast you can't keep up.

Why? Because folks are just not coming up as much any more. The fishing isn't as good, the deer hunting is terrible, the costs of trips up there are going up. Hell, I had a guy offer me 325K for my 2 acre lake lot 18 years ago, I'd be lucky to get that now with a 4 bedroom home, 2 car garage and a separate two car garage on it.

So what towns are seemingly doing ok? Boulder Jnct, Minocqua, Eagle River....towns with amenities that don't fall back on the need for good fishing or hunting. Families want zip lines, they want movie theaters, water parks, petting zoos, jet skiis. Up north vacations aren't about getting away to nature any more, it's just getting away to do something different, away from home, while being able to back to work and say, "yeah we spent a week up north"

1/25/19 @ 1:46 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

"I'm one of the gang with a house down south and a cabin up in God's country.

Funny thing, I don't see how folks with a 2nd place in the Northwoods do anything but add to the local tax base / economy. "

While I agree that we buy our propane and add to the tax base of Vilas County, I honestly believe the longer we're up there, 17 years now, the less we spend in going out to eat, to the bars, at the grocery store (because Land O Lakes hasn't even had one in 5 years). It becomes less of a vacation and more of a home, if that makes sense? Example, when we first built the house, we'd hit Bent's Camp every saturday we were up, now? I've been there maybe 3x in the last year.

I guess its a contribution, but it's definitely less and less. 

1/25/19 @ 12:10 PM
NAV165
PRO MEMBER User since 5/23/05

I wouldn't call it a problem, I would call it a difference of opinion.  I'd love to hear your solution as to how an economy functions with zero growth.  

1/25/19 @ 10:47 AM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18

Theres the problem,Nav...you believe that economic growth is a good thing. Many folks don’t.

1/25/19 @ 9:49 AM
NAV165
PRO MEMBER User since 5/23/05

I can't believe and "expert" on world tourism doesn't know the benefits of tourism.  How would the economy grow in places like Minocqua without tourists?  Like others have stated I have a cottage "up north" and support the grocery stores, bars, restaurants, bait shops, help employ carpenters, plumbers, lawn services and even supported the hospital a couple of times!  I've been going to "up north" for over 50 years and I can't believe the growth and it's mostly due to tourists and people with 2nd homes that pay for many services that they don't utilize.  I will never have kids attend schools in the area so sure I wish I could delete that from my tax bill, heck, I don't have kids so I wish I could delete from my home property tax bill too.  I travel all over the world for business and pleasure and I see the benefits of tourism and they extend far beyond the local economy.  

1/24/19 @ 8:20 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I'm one of the gang with a house down south and a cabin up in God's country. 

Funny thing, I don't see how folks with a 2nd place in the Northwoods do anything but add to the local tax base / economy.  

We have our own septic, well, and propane tank.  The town of Plum Lake doesn't even take our trash, we hire a separate 3rd party for that.  

As I'm typing this, I'm really searching for a single publicly funded service that we use.  

Aside from the above, when we're up in the Northwoods we buy groceries, gas, go out to eat, cocktail, and buy bait.  My wife likes to putz around Boulder, Minocqua, and the flea market.  

I believe most folks with a place up north are in a similar situation.  

We love it up there!

1/24/19 @ 2:50 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

Sorry, I was stating tourist spots in general. Not singling out the northwoods. I was referring more to the likes of Vegas, Nashville, even the Dells. 

You are right about the northwoods though. Things stay pretty cheap. 

1/24/19 @ 2:40 PM
zombi
User since 8/28/09

BM123. I think you are wrong regarding the increase in prices.I spent a few days in the Eagle River area over New Years. I went to a large grocery store out there, the prices were not much higher than in Milwaukee or Chicago. But I understand that the cost of transportation from warehouses to those stores is much higher and stores have more waste. Im a 100% sure without tourists there would be one gas station, coffee shop, and restaurant all in one building.

The tourists create jobs for local teenagers when it comes to keeping them out of trouble. We don't have to look far , rather into the statistics of how Rural America is dying out without tourists.The article also mentioned something about maintaining the roads The locals ,I'm sure, love them and would like to keep them maintained. The taxes from the tourism definitely help keep the roads in good condition.

PS. I showed this article to my neighbor, who in the last 4 years invested over a million dollars into real state in the area ( Cranberry Lake). When he saw this article about the tourists, he said it's total BS .Stating that "Thanks to me (a tourist) at least 2 or 3 people have an almost full time job."  Also purchasing 3 snowmobiles and 3 jet skis over there in the last year, plus a few thousand into real estate taxes. Besides that, he has to pay a fee for a non-resident fishing license.

When it comes to the increase in drinking and trouble, most tourists when they go on vacation, including myself, don't go there to have a hangover. Especially when you are there with family. 

1/24/19 @ 10:41 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

There are really only 2 downsides to living in a tourist area. (and the good heavily outweighs the bad) First, is the increased prices for pretty much everything you could spend money on. Tourist will pay more for pretty much anything on vacay therefore the prices go up for the locals as well. Second, would be all the riff raff brought on by more people. More garbage. Vacationers drink more and usually that results in more legal issues.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 41 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE