Too late to plant grass?

10/1/15 @ 10:32 AM
ORIGINAL POST
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
I am located right around the appleton area, and wondering with our weather, if it is too late to plant grass? I have a small area I need to reseed due to a small construction project. The area might be about 20-30 sq feet. Or should I wait until next spring?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
10/2/15 @ 1:59 PM
RichManitoba
RichManitoba
USER since 5/22/15
I was told by a pro, that this is a good time to plant grass seed. Warm days and cool nights are perfect for growing grass. We've got plenty of warmth yet. Heck, last week it was 80 for 6 days.

I realize this is kind of different, but I'm, going to aerate and over-seed my lawn this weekend.

Got Grass?

Post Your Comment
10/2/15 @ 11:20 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I'm attempting to find out. I planted one section around the 3rd week in September and its nice and green already. I planted another section about a week ago and nothing yet. Thinking that may have been a waste but gambled on it. We'll see I guess, should be seeing some sort of results any day now if it will go.

Post Your Comment
10/2/15 @ 8:48 AM
wiemer
wiemer
USER since 6/22/01
Also you said a 20 square foot area... what's the harm if it doesn't take great this year it only cost you probably a couple bucks of seed if that.... a whole lawn you might want to wait

Post Your Comment
10/2/15 @ 8:45 AM
wiemer
wiemer
USER since 6/22/01
Looked at the 30 day outlook and it looks above normal.... put my driveway in 12 years ago in October 5th and planted grass along the sides and it grew fine. Winterized it last week of october. Nice and thick by next june. El Nino year...go for it

Post Your Comment
10/2/15 @ 8:35 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
Double Down - I could take your approach. It is a small area and if it does not take, no big deal. Just reseed, right?

Post Your Comment
10/1/15 @ 7:24 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
I faced that situation last year and I planted it it was too late for me. I'd say the odds are not in your favor at this point. Cooler and shorter days are now here. I hardly think I'll have to mow more than once, so growing grass would be a long shot in my opinion.

Post Your Comment
10/1/15 @ 7:22 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Hard to say...but prepping the ground should be a priority

Post Your Comment
10/1/15 @ 7:18 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Oregon just legalized it. It will probably move this way like a steam roller! Pardon the Pun

Post Your Comment