Time Warner Cable

2/23/16 @ 8:44 PM
ORIGINAL POST
44/45
44/45
MEMBER since 3/9/11
WOW, who is going to bring competition to these thieves. Every month this year I have seen an increase. This insanity is worse than prescription drugs. Would love to give dish.net a try but know nothing about this service. I have plain old cable, plain old internet service, and a land line and pay almost 200.00 a month. Don't these thieves realize eventually there will be a mass exodus. Unfortunately I cannot live without it!!! Angry
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts
2/6/17 @ 1:47 PM
Cambridge
Cambridge
USER since 3/21/14
We were with Direct TV for probably 20 yrs and prices kept going up. Made  me angry everytime I saw the super good 2 year deals for new customers but Direct TV would never offer me a break , So I canceled them and bought a Roku Stick for a ONE TIME cost of $35 and subscribed to Sling TV for $20/month I now get all my favorite 30+channels that I used to get with Direct TV. Kept my Time Warner internet pkg only for $60 per month.  With all the cell phones I have no use for the land line. Best decision ever. Switching to the Roku and ditching Direct TV saved me over $100 per month that's $1200 PER YEAR!

Post Your Comment
2/5/17 @ 12:01 PM
Hooky
Hooky
MEMBER since 12/17/01

Had Time Warner for twenty plus years and loved the reliability but prices got way out of line. I switched to Direct Tv/ ATT and shaved about 50% off the bill and locked for two years. Happy so far!

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 9:50 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09

Plm, a call never hurts. Funny story- a few months ago, I made the typical call I make seemingly every few months to ATT Uverse to lower my bill. I was ready to do battle, and the gal I got on the other end of the phone said she was from Syracuse NY. She noticed I was from Wisconsin and asked if I've ever heard of Elkhart Lake.  As luck would have it, I'm from there and my parents still live in the area. Wound up talking to her for like 15 mins about stuff totally unrelated to my cable bill (she spent her summers there, her aunt and uncle were part-time bee keepers etc...) and wound up with a cable/internet bill of like $120 locked in for 2 years.  

It taught me a lesson to not go into those calls with guns blazing! Ha ha

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 9:01 PM
TinmanTJR
TinmanTJR
USER since 2/17/04

If they won't give you the advertised specials, you can do what I have for years. I would sign us up in my name, then when the special ran out and they would not give me the new subscriber pricing I would cancel. Then my wife would sign up for it, using her personal CC and such to get it started. Later we could change our billing information. Any time we were questioned, we would say we were splitting up and the current subscriber was moving out. 

They are all a bunch of rip-off artists as far as I am concerned.

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 8:54 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Thanks TM, maybe I'll call this week and see if they can knock down my rate...

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 8:48 PM
TinmanTJR
TinmanTJR
USER since 2/17/04

Plmlk,

You are paying double what we are for the same service from Spectrum (the new name for Charter/Time Warner). We got connected last weekend. Four TV's with boxes, 60MB internet, and phone will run us a shade over $90/month with all taxes and fees. Locked price for 12 months, after which the raping will begin again I'm sure. 

So far the service has been good with no issues, keeping fingers crossed as I know both Time Warner and Charter had lousy reputations for service. I had DirecTV for 20 years prior to this, only one failed component (covered) during that stretch. For internet, we had Time Warner up to this point as it was the best we could get in our area. One failed modem (covered) from them over the same stretch. Wife works from home, and needs quality high speed service.

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 7:36 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I agree, TWC is a pain.

We pay $200 p/month for basic cable, phone, and internet. 

We don't even use the phone anymore,  we unplugged it from the wall last year.  There is no point in removing it from the plan as it doesn't save any money.

I'd switch, but changing my email every 2 years is a hassle.  I should change my email to a gmail or iCloud so I don't have to worry about it moving forward. 

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 5:16 PM
murman
murman
USER since 11/4/08

Musky99, I used internet through direct tv, which isn't nearly as fast as charter. And for the phone, I don't use the phone through charter and just use my cell phone.  It was cheaper for the Bundle with phone through charter then it would have been to use just internet and tv. 

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 12:37 PM
Route66
Route66
USER since 6/22/01

Century has a new thingy called Prism that we are going to check out. Fiber optics. Its tiresome trying to deal with these people.

Post Your Comment
2/1/17 @ 9:43 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01

I did a similar thing as murman.  When I first moved to my house, I had AT&T for phone, Charter for cable, and a local wifi provider for internet.  After a couple years, switched to Charter for cable and was able to bundle as a new customer and a lower rate.  A couple years later, Charter offered phone service, so I dropped AT&T and was able to bundle as a new customer again and at a promotional rate.  For a few years as it went up, carved out what we didn't want and complained to get some breaks.  Last fall, got a flyer in the mail for AT&T/DirectTV for phone, internet, and dish tv for $99 a month for 2 years plus $400 in visa gift cards.  Have that now.  Funny thing is Charter didn't want to negotiate much with my wife when she complained about the bill, but were more than willing to instantly match the AT&T bill when I called to cancel.  Guess I'll start playing the game every couple years to switch back and forth. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts