Time to talk BREWERS!!!!

3/30/02 @ 8:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Crazyotto
Crazyotto
USER since 10/2/01
Yeah I know baseball is ruined and ther Brewerw are almost as severly hampered by Princess Prieb as they are the lack of revenue sharing, but Im still excited. I am probably crazy but I think the Crew should be .500 this year and if Sheets, Wright, Quevedo, and Nuegebaur pitch up to their potential and we dont swing at everything, I think the crew can win 90 and be in the wild card race late, which is something we havent seen in a long, long time. They must finish over .500 to avoid 10 years straight of losing seasons. I think it is time for a coup to remove Princess Prieb.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 48,327 Posts
1/16/19 @ 7:49 PM
Post Your Comment
1/14/19 @ 5:46 PM
beer bum
beer bum
USER since 1/9/19

Free swinger that hits HRs.  Should fit right in......

Add in suspect defense.  What could go wrong?

Really, he should be on this team. He won a game for them in the playoffs!  

Edited on 1/14/19 5:47 PM
Post Your Comment
1/12/19 @ 7:02 PM
Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 10:36 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03

Yep, I'm with you backwards.  I'm done trying to understand all the new metrics and crap.  I'm just going to watch the games.  The only thing I understand is if you score more than your opponent you win.  Hopefully the crew does that about 60% of the time this season.

Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 9:55 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

I'm solidly in the wait an see faction, haha

said before, not a fan of the guy, but willing to let his performance, and clubhouse actions win me over... I'm a big fan of Pina, solid defense, especially blocking balls which has to be, given the way Brewer pitching is asked to pitch in the dirt, plus a ++, imo, throwing arm... he keeps runners where they belong, or OUT

... but if the new guy can help, why not

Edited on 1/11/19 9:58 AM
Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 9:29 AM
bluefin16
bluefin16
USER since 1/9/08

You are correct with those obp #s.  what i dont get is, and maybe im missing something here, i read somewhere that grandal lead the league in passed balls ( i know someone posted it on here ,but i also saw it somewhere else also) , but then in another article i saw that he is considered one of the 2 best defensive catchers out there? How can he be both?

I know most teams use OBP and not straight BP , but im kinda old school and still use BP alot.

Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 9:27 AM
Hunter&Hound
Hunter&Hound
USER since 7/24/01

Grandal hit 24 homers last year.  It'll be interesting to see how many hits in Miller Park...could push 30.

Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 9:15 AM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Just interjecting but Grandals obp is about 40 points higher than pinas and 70 higher than kratz.

Post Your Comment
1/11/19 @ 8:58 AM
ten4
ten4
USER since 3/22/14

kona,

I don't fully understand war, but the stats that you provided show exactly why they decided to make the signing.  He is a huge upgrade over the guys we have now.  In modern day baseball you cant just look at batting average.  He'll most likely be batting in the 5-6 spot and his job will be to cross runs.  I would be surprised if its a 30-35 hr season.

Post Your Comment
1/10/19 @ 8:54 PM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

I made a joke earlier today about some nerds crunching numbers to help justify this deal.. Batting average just does not mean as much to the new breed of GM's and analytics guys in baseball.. Now it is much more important to have higher OBP, OPS,Slugging % etc.. Hitting for power is really a premium over average and Grandal does have better numbers.. WAR (wins over replacement) is another metric that is considered to be important and Manny was 1.1 vs 3.7 for Grandal last year..

I was reading an article on-line today by a Sports Illustrated writer and his main point was that free agency is broken and Grandal should have received an even larger/long term deal. The writer mentioned Grandal has been the best defensive catcher in baseball over the last 4 years due to his "Framing and Blocking stats"?  I do not even know what that measures?? Heck I still do not get why most teams (including the Brewers) have abandoned the sacrfice bunt but I know there are metrics that dictate this change in philosophy.

I don't get this move but will see how it turns out..I would have rathered spent the money for more piching or 2nd base help.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 48,327 Posts