Thought I was tough

10/12/14 @ 3:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Bobger
Bobger
USER since 4/18/03
Never used sunscreen or lip protection. I kind of snickered when people in my boat or ice fishing put on that girly lotion. I really was just plain stupid. Last week a doctor cut off most of my lower lip. Just the corners remained and a strip about 3 inches by a half an inch was removed. I would estimate it was about an eighth of an inch thick. I sat with it gone for about a half an hour before the doctor returned and said it was a cancer but they thought they had all of it. After he loosed the skin inside my mouth almost all the way to the bottom of my mouth, he pulled the skin over to form a new lip. 17 stitches hold the flap down on the outer edge of "new" lip. Please don't be as dumb. Protect your skin and lips from the sun. Please.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
10/15/14 @ 7:30 PM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
It isn't just sunny days Prop. Be careful out there! I leave very little skin exposed when outside for any length of time, sunny or cloudy. Hoping for a speedy recovery Bobger!

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
10/13/14 @ 9:50 AM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
It can happen to anyone. Not just people who work outside. I'm a desk man and had skin cancer on my upper lip when I was 32. I have gone back for screenings every other year for the last 8. I'm lot more cautious when I'm out in the boat and on the ice on sunny days now.

Post Your Comment
10/12/14 @ 9:17 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
USER since 1/14/02
Growing up as a kid during the early '60's and 70's we never heard of skin cancer as kids or did our parents. Spent all of my youth playing out side covered with dirt playing in the sun.

Not sure why they always find spots of skin cancer on our face when the neck and the noggin and arms collected more sun then the rest of the body.

Post Your Comment
10/12/14 @ 8:06 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
USER since 1/14/02
Posted on here a few years ago about my bout with skin cancer, they cut out a chunk of my face but did a good job making it look decent.

Post Your Comment
10/12/14 @ 7:58 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
MEMBER since 3/4/06
I FEEL YOUR PAIN BOBGER! My Beloved wife OF 40 YRS died of liver cancer approx. 4yrs AGO and all I could do WAS WATCH AND NOT BE ABLE DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT WHILE SHE FADED AWAY AND I STILL SUFFER OVER IT!!! I hope you go through remission without any problems and you live a healthy and fruitful life.

Post Your Comment
10/12/14 @ 7:52 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
Thanks for sharing that, Bobger, there's no part of any of that that could be construed as easy, including your providing a cautionary post right here.

Maybe, as it turns out, there's a part of you that's tougher that even you realize. May The good Lord bless and heal you.

Post Your Comment
10/12/14 @ 4:05 PM
clark co chris
clark co chris
USER since 4/5/09
Yep, wow, tough deal. But in the grand scheme, you are very fortunate to have a "second lease on life" so to speak. Cancer is a very scary deal, and to have it gone...and beaten, is wonderful. Well wishes to a complete recovery!

Post Your Comment
10/12/14 @ 4:01 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Wish you the best for a recovery, thanks for sharing

Post Your Comment