This happened to me.

5/1/14 @ 11:24 AM
ORIGINAL POST
uplander
uplander
USER since 10/6/09
Last nite I was gonna go get a good burger for dinner. I hopped in the car and pulled away with a terrible grinding noise in the front of the car. I stopped within 20 feet of the driveway and thought w.t.f. and put it in reverse thinking a bearing went out and get it in the driveway. All of a sudden the front tire blows,total separation all around the tire. Here the spring on the strut broke and got against the tire and tore the hell out of it. Never seen anything like it. Im happy I was right by the drive way. I couldn't imagine that at 65 m.p.h. Lets here some stories guys.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
5/2/14 @ 8:52 PM
Chauncey421
Chauncey421
USER since 7/21/08
Tying on to Coach's story, I DID have a tie rod blow on me, on the freeway no less. Was on my way home from work - also shortly after I had switched from 1st to 3rd shift. I can remember many times having to smack the crap outta myself on the way home just to stay awake. Didn't have that problem this time! Sweating

Very unsettling feeling to be driving 70 mph, to turn the wheel and have nothing happen. Slowed down, and figured out that if I turned the wheel 1/8th of a turn, over, and over, and over again, I could get the car to move the direction I wanted.. eventually got to pull over.

I remember walking around to the front of the truck, seeing one tire pointed west and the other one pointed northwest.

Post Your Comment
5/1/14 @ 8:45 PM
Shoot Straight
Shoot Straight
USER since 10/31/06
My experience I've seen this mostly with Ford taurus rear springs. Drive home from the auction, put it in the air and wonder how the he** I made it back!

My best was at HUMMER. Jumped in a H2 after having a set of aggressive wheels and tires put on it. Headed home and after my second intersection turning left the front passenger wheel and tire kept going straight. When I had the H2 towed back I had the same mech take care of it. Never had to say a word, never happened again Doh!

SS

Post Your Comment
5/1/14 @ 7:45 PM
Fishscales
Fishscales
USER since 3/2/03
I was 17 yrs old and i was going goose hunting and i met up with some friends of mine. Later on i said im going home now. I get into my car (1970 Nova 6cyl) and i get on the highway and im cruising along and all of a sudden i hear a bang and then the engine stops. I pull over and look under the hood and my distributor is in 2 pieces. The counter weight broke loose and sheared the housing in half. Back then we had no cell phones.

Post Your Comment
5/1/14 @ 3:06 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
And then there was the time I was abducted by aliens and held aboard their advanced spacecraft overnight, but that's a different subject...

Post Your Comment
5/1/14 @ 3:03 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
In keeping with Uplander's original theme, I had a tie rod end break in my driveway years ago, made the right tire splay out like the car was turning right, while the left remained pointed straight ahead.

Like UL, I was sure glad it happened in the driveway, rather than on the road!

Post Your Comment
5/1/14 @ 2:46 PM
leechlake
leechlake
USER since 5/15/06
When I was a freshman in high school, another kid and I had an idea to go swimming/screw around at a dam on the river roughly 5 miles from my hometown. When we got there, we decided to walk across the top of the dam which took you out to the mid-point of the structure. In the attached picture of the dam you can make out a ladder going up to the top of the 3 gates on that half of the dam. To give perspective to the size, I believe it was 10-12 feet up to the top of the ladder. From there we crawled down the angled section of cement wall(nearest wall in the photo) to get down to the river level below. At the time there was a rope attached to help you get down so we evidently weren't the first idiots to attempt this. From there we were going to walk back across through the river. There was a wall under water approximately knee deep that ran parallel to the dam back across to the other side. I was going first and within maybe 5 steps I lost my balance due to the turbulance from the water coming over the top and fell in toward the wall. I was treading water initially but then the undertow got ahold of me and sucked me to the bottom. I remember having my eyes open as I went under water and it got darker and darker as I went down. Not sure how deep it was, but definitely over my head. Was able to struggle back to the surface and saw the other kid still standing on the wall in the water trying to reach me. Undertow took me down again. I made it back up for one more breath before I ran out of strength. Then the water coming over the dam forced me horizontal on the bottom. I was rolling like a log and could feel the bottom every time I went around. I tried to push off the bottom each time but the force of the water would just push me back down immediately. I remember having a thought about some wide world of sports show I had watched about white water kayakers getting caught in front of boulders and how they would ball up to escape the force of the water. Don't remember actually doing that, but shortly after it started getting lighter as I came back up to the surface. I was too exhausted to swim and just floated with my head barely out of the water and yelled for help. I was probably 20 yards downstream beyond the wall I initially fell from. The other kid was still there and turned around and dove in after me. He caught up to me and pulled me to shallow water. He said he never saw me go over that wall which as mentioned in the beginning was only about knee deep. Not sure how I got downriver? This was 30 years ago and I still shake typing it today. Probably wasn't the best decision I ever made.

Post Your Comment
5/1/14 @ 1:04 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
You're lucky. My tire blew when I was merging onto the highway from an onramp. I lost control and I rolled my car multiple times in the ditch. Ended up waking up in the hospital a couple hours later. I still have glass in my head and a cracked vertabrae 10 years later.

Edited on 5/1/14 1:05 PM
Post Your Comment
5/1/14 @ 12:40 PM
uplander
uplander
USER since 10/6/09
Are you sure this just didnt happen and your just telling everyone you were 7.

Post Your Comment
5/1/14 @ 12:01 PM
Mr. Killroy
Mr. Killroy
USER since 5/3/07
Hey, the OP asked to hear some stories. That's the best l could come up with off the top of my head to share with y'all.

Post Your Comment
5/1/14 @ 11:55 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
Please share more about the snot bubbles, Killroy, including pics if at all possible. Wink

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts