There any lawn guys out there?

6/15/15 @ 9:34 AM
ORIGINAL POST
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
There used to be a good guy on there who worked in the lawn care profession. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about how to properly maintain a lawn. I do the fertilizer in the spring, remove weeds...etc. And my lawn looks nothing short of outstanding from April until now. Then it starts to die in patches, turn brown and some starts to actually rot a little bit. Right now my yard has a fair number of mushrooms growing in it. I'm wondering what the mushrooms mean and what I should be doing to take care of my lawn better? I did just pick up another bag of Scott's Turf Builder to put down, should I be using anything else? Would aerating the yard help?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 40 Posts
11/11/16 @ 4:27 AM
lildipper
lildipper
USER since 8/17/16

For my lawn, I plant 75% clover and 25% grass. I think there are antler growth grasses also but expensive. My lawn looks beautiful and really brings in the bucks. Gotta be careful not to get the crazy grass that gives the deer CWD though wild animals don't like all that bio-crap. I can't wait untill I have enough money to get a badboy lawnmower. Dull blades aint good either. If mushrooms grow, just pick them and eat them with the deer you harvest.

Edited on 11/11/16 4:30 AM
Post Your Comment
10/31/16 @ 2:05 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

This has to be the mildest fall I can remember.  At home we still haven't had our first frost yet.  My grass is 8 inches tall and I cut it a week ago.

Post Your Comment
10/31/16 @ 10:12 AM
dandigger
dandigger
USER since 4/30/08

amateurs!!!!

Post Your Comment
10/30/16 @ 10:37 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01

JJ-more than one fall had be shoveling/snow blowing the first time of the season before the last mowing of the season.

...and I've almost always got some last minute gardening I do between the first few snowfalls and the ground freezing.

btw,the earliest I remember icefishing SE WI is November 4,Rome pond. It was a Saturday and there were dozens of guys out there.

Post Your Comment
10/30/16 @ 5:06 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
USER since 1/14/02

It's Wisconsin, could be mowing the lawn one week then snowblowing the driveway the next 

Post Your Comment
10/30/16 @ 2:33 PM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
USER since 6/27/08

For christ sakes after looking at the 1 week forecast I'm guessing it will be December for the last cut.  60's all week, might hit 70 southern part of the state.  I'm only cutting it one more time.  I don't care how tall it gets and what the neighbor thinks.

Post Your Comment
10/28/16 @ 2:02 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

Every year, I cut the grass for the "last" time about 3 times. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
10/28/16 @ 11:03 AM
beanbag
beanbag
USER since 12/17/09

If you are in southern Wis. i would hold off on putting away the mower just yet. With some rain and temps in the mid to lower 60s next week she will still be growing a bit.

Post Your Comment
10/28/16 @ 10:46 AM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
USER since 6/27/08

You guys in Wisconsin,

when do you think we can cut the grass for the last time this year?  Last year I cut it too early and stored the mower and it grew some more yet.   So then I got a mouse nest under the snow right next to the house and then I had a bunch of mice in the house.  Do you think this weekend is too early?  Will it grow yet.

Post Your Comment
7/13/15 @ 11:02 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
Well, here are the pictures. Both the front and back look outstanding. Much, much, much better than when I started.

I like the picture that shows my front yard and part of my neighbor's yard. He takes good care of his grass, too. But this last bit of rain we got (after the 4'th) and the watering I've done turned my grass into a nuclear green color.

And it is very, very thick. Best yard I've ever had.

While I won't be renting the aerator next year, I would certainly do it again in the future. I'd just do it in the spring when the ground is a little more damp than when I did it.

Edited on 7/13/15 11:02 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 40 Posts