The String Trick

7/1/15 @ 9:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Have you ever had this happen to you. Well I have more times than I would like to admit. The easiest way to get the hook out is with a heavy string. In the picture you will see a wide gap five O/T worm hook. Yep it hurt like... well lets don't go there, but I took it out by myself. I had jerked a big bass over the side of the boat and the hook came out just about the time I went to grab for it . The rod was loaded and the hook had to go somewhere. I grabbed for the fish bouncing around the deck of the boat and got it held it up look at it and then realized I had another problem. Yep I was stuck... I was fishing by myself and didn't want to go home so I pulled it out myself. What you do is put a heavy piece of cord through the bend of the hook. Hold the line tie down and on the count of three you jerk it out the same exact same direction that it went in. You always jerk on one when you do it to someone else. That way it pops out the same hole it went in causes very little bleeding never really gets sore. Of course put some antiseptic on it after. Well when you do it yourself you cant fake the count you just got to do it. I looped the string held the end in my mouth dang near jerked my teeth out but out it came first try. Thank god ! learn the trick try it on a semi frozen hot dog . Always remove the bait if it is a treble hook first. I tried removing a chug bug from my wife's arm and as I jerked it I hooked her with another hook. Needless to say I was not a real popular guy that night.
Edited on 7/1/15 9:05 AM
Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts
6/1/17 @ 2:32 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

My group tried this method on a buried treble hook in one of us about 20 years ago at an outpost camp.  One of us in camp was a medical doctor, another was a dentist, with all the medical expertise, we figured we had it covered.  We couldn't get enough pressure on the hook to remove it using the line method.  So, we just had the patient drink a lot of whisky, and pulled the hook out with a plier.  Tore him up good, but what else do you do in an outpost camp?

Having said that, I have heard lots of people use this method successfully...

Post Your Comment
6/1/17 @ 2:23 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

But I don't think that it would have worked in this case though.  My friend had to be flown via Andrew's Airway's Dehavilland Beaver back to Kodiak to have this one removed.

Post Your Comment
6/1/17 @ 11:25 AM
split shot
split shot
USER since 6/19/01

Mrs. split shot hooked herself in the back of her thigh, just below the hem of her shorts while sloppily fly-casting in heavy wind. The hook came out so easy and fast, she didn’t believe it was removed until I showed her the fly.

Post Your Comment
5/31/17 @ 8:09 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Got to try this myself tonight.  I was putting loaded trolling rods in the boat when one slipped.  Got the front treble of a #7 Ficker Shad in the base of my thumb just below the joint on the posterior side.  I took a few seconds to evaluate the situation and decided an extended wait at the first care place was going to deprive me of too much of the Brewer game.  I had two snorts of Kesslers while watching the "Monofilament Hook Removal" video on YouTube.  The mono slipped on the first try but it popped right out on the second.  I have no pain at all but have triple antibiotic on it to be safe.  Just got the tetnis update last fall so all should be well.

I did this procedure myself but was lucky to have a good angle.  This may require assistance if you get yourself in an ackward spot.  My wife couldn't have handled it so I only showed her the exit wound when I was done.  She didn't want to hear the details.

Wish I would have taken pics of the hook in hand but wasn't high on my list of priorities.  Here's what little damage was left behind.

Edited on 5/31/17 8:13 PM
Post Your Comment
7/7/15 @ 10:22 PM
Foundry Rat
Foundry Rat
USER since 1/21/10
Hey, Ed. Your first post was less than a week ago. If you hooked yourself 2x in a week I think you should take up knitting and give up guiding. At this rate you're in for serious trouble. Wink

Post Your Comment
7/7/15 @ 4:04 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
I had to use it again just the other day ... It is amazing how well it works.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
7/3/15 @ 10:36 PM
IceFishBaby
IceFishBaby
USER since 11/26/01
Did this to a random guy at a launch three years ago and on myself a month ago. Works well.

Post Your Comment
7/3/15 @ 9:14 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
rikj, ouch.. think you found something worse that the Chinese water torture... fingernails are super sensitive... dang!!!

Post Your Comment
7/3/15 @ 8:32 PM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01
I kind of snickered at this thread when I read it a few days ago, not so funny now. I caught a walleye on Bago this morning that had both trebles from a #7 Flicker Shad in it. I went to grab the fish and somehow it came unbuttoned and one of the hooks buried itself in the side of my thumb at the base of the nail. I pulled it out with a pliers on the 4th try and almost passed out in the process( it was really stuck). I have been fishing for 50+ years without a problem until today. First thing in the morning I am going to put some tip-up line and alcohol wipes and band aids in the boats.

PS Walleye fishing was pretty fair today, caught one my first cast and my son got a 20"er his second cast.......

Post Your Comment
7/1/15 @ 5:13 PM
LUV2HNT
LUV2HNT
USER since 11/3/03
Just last week by myself got stuck deep without coming back out... Grabbed the pliers and yanked it out. 1 day later start feeling an infextion... alcohol and peroxide good to go.

Edited on 7/1/15 5:14 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts