Sold car in Jan Got Towed in March Now I have a Problem

3/20/16 @ 10:40 AM
ORIGINAL POST
_Troller
_Troller
USER since 4/22/02
I sold a car two months ago. Last week I get a letter from a towing company saying I need to come get my car out of hock. I told the towing company I sold the car and have no title no keys and this is not my car anymore. i guess the way the towing company looks at it is it's still my car because the buyer never got it registered. Towing company says they are going to take me to court for towing charges and storage fees. Pretty much told them to go fly a kite. I called the guy that bought the car. He gave me a sob story that he had no money to get the car back as the towing company wants $300 to release the car. Not sure how to proceed with this. Any body ever have to deal with anything like this?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
3/21/16 @ 8:27 AM
_Troller
_Troller
USER since 4/22/02
Yes I pulled the plates.

I did not know about the new law that went into effect Jan 1, 2016 http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/online-srvcs/other-servs/seller-notify.aspx

I called the kid who bought the car. He went to get the car from the towing company but did not have enough money.

How nice for the towing company. If the kid can't come up with the money to get the car out of hock the towing company can do whatever they want with the car. Pretty much they own the vehicle if nobody claims it.

Post Your Comment
3/20/16 @ 9:18 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Troller, maybe visit your local police and ask them for advice, how to straighten it out

Post Your Comment
3/20/16 @ 9:09 PM
hogridnfool
hogridnfool
USER since 2/9/05
“How to stop a Title Jumper:

Include in the bill of sale "This Sale will be complete upon transfer of title from Seller to Buyer. Seller will hold vehicle and keys until Buyer provides proof of title transfer. Buyer must sign title in front of Seller. If buyer is unable to transfer title seller will refund money minus title replacement fee" Then all the standard stuff: sale amount, VIN, date and seller/buyers full names.

From my experience most people who really want the car will do this. Some people may huff & puff but screw them it's your ass on the line if they rack-up parking tickets or get into a accident. So DO NOT turn over the keys and car until the title transfer is complete! It's a private sale if they don't like it TUFF! This beats having to go to court and take off work to prove you sold the vehicle at such and such date. I have personally done this and still do this with all my private sales.

My experience: I was a "Title Clerk" at a major dealership here in town.” This is a copy and paste, not my own experience.

Post Your Comment
3/20/16 @ 4:41 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05
Thanks for posting schindysx6.

This is a new one. How is anyone supposed to know about this new requirement? Sounds like it's also needed for motorcycle, snowmobile, AVT/UTV, etc. Gone are the days when you simply sign & date the title, write in a sales amount.

Here's the active link: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/online-srvcs/other-servs/seller-notify.aspx

Post Your Comment
3/20/16 @ 1:31 PM
schindysx6
schindysx6
USER since 9/21/09
http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/online-srvcs/other-servs/seller-notify.aspx

Post Your Comment
3/20/16 @ 12:49 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
it could be worst ...lucky he did not have car werk and it would be on you ...like they said hope you got a bill of sale

Post Your Comment
3/20/16 @ 12:06 PM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
I do the same as jr8368. Friends and relatives included.

ALWAYS cover your butt!

You don't mention if you removed your plates. Big no-no if you didn't.

I hope you have something he signed that says he bought it.

If not, think about it from the other party's point of view. It looks like you let your buddy use your car.

Post Your Comment
3/20/16 @ 11:27 AM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01
I traded in a Chevy Suburban for a new truck about 20 years ago and forgot to pull the plates. I called the dealer and got the salesman on the phone and he told me he "just" removed the plates and cut them up and disposed of them. I told him keep the screwdriver the I had in the old Sub just for plate removal that I forgot. About 3 months later I get a bunch of high priced parking tickets from the Madison(100 miles away) police dept. I called the police and got they were not willing to help in any way, it was my responsibility for loosing the plates. The dink that used my plates had them on a VW bug and I asked the cops why they didn't catch that when writing the tickets, lots of difference between a beetle and a Sub.

Sorry about the long story but what I did was take the tickets to our local police station and our Chief made a call to Madison P.D that lasted about 30 seconds and he hung up and told me to forget about it all taken care of.

I called the dealer and told them about the Snake salesman they had and was told he was let go. I ran into the salesman about a year later in a bar and he claimed to not remember doing it. His memory improved significantly when I grabbed him by the neck and slammed his head into the wall, I still feel a little bad about it he was just a little guy and I am quite large.

Soooooooooo you may want to ask for help with the local PD...good luck

Post Your Comment
3/20/16 @ 10:55 AM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01
Did you sell the car with plates? Hopefully you have a copy of bill of sale. I cant see how you can be held responsible in his towing.

Post Your Comment