MORE
General Discussion

Social media accounts, who has what?

7/18/18 @ 11:19 AM
INITIAL POST
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Just curious as to what everyone has or doesn't have or use?

I have never had Facebook,  myspace or any of that, no Twitter or instagram either.  Just have snapchat and only because kids put it on my phone for me. I really don't give a s@#t what everyone else is doing all the time. 

And im not a senior citizen either, early 40's

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
6/20/22 @ 10:46 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

only 1, Lake-Link, a digital fishing and lake guide... ;)

7/20/18 @ 8:42 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

This is the only thing that I go on ,been reading it for years. Never started posting till the wife got me this fancy phone. Always said I'm a low tech man in a high tech world. 

7/20/18 @ 8:30 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
No Facebook for me.....nada....never.   Diddo to what Plmlk and 12packabs said on other social media use.
7/20/18 @ 5:33 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Lake-link and LinkedIn for me. 

LinkedIn is hands-down the go to spot for recruiters, paper resumes are a thing of the past. 

The interesting thing about LinkedIn, is that what you see is what you get, and it is a true reflection of someone’s experience.  Your boss can see your LinkedIn page, human resource can, so you can be confident the person has the experience they say they do. Folks tend to embellish a bit on paper resumes.  

I have worked for the same company for 15 years, and see myself retiring there. That said, like anyone, my company could be part of a merger, and things could change in a hurry.  

In todays world, I see LinkedIn as a great tool to get your name out there just in case…   Kind of like life insurance, I don’t think I’m going to need it, but… 

I’ve been on LinkedIn for about five years now, and I would say once or twice a month I get an email from a recruiter.  I don’t have any interest, but there is nothing wrong with being on their list…  you can always say no. 

Many companies don’t even use job boards anymore, they do a LinkedIn search to find qualified candidates, and then send them an email through LinkedIn to see if they are interested.  

LinkedIn is not a place to talk about your vacation, what you did today, or anything similar-it is an online resume.  

I see huge value in it...

7/18/18 @ 7:30 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Lake Link and Untapped are pretty much it for me.
7/18/18 @ 7:04 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Lake-Link

7/18/18 @ 6:30 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
User since 1/14/02

LL and Faceplant, use the later for contact with friends and family. Not friends with anyone at work on social media

7/18/18 @ 5:04 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Just LL. No time for anything else.  Never facebook.  I do use my wifes  FB account to check on relatives occasionally. Its been useful in finding out who is sick or in trouble as we usually aren't active in the gossip chain.  That was sad and essential in keeping track as my nephew die of cancer and seeing pictures and sending messages from 1000 miles away otherwise we wouldn't have known much about it.  Otherwise I find FB too goofy. While we get off track at  least here at LL we all share a common interest in the outdoor pursuits.

7/18/18 @ 3:32 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I'm not on any social media sites.  Well, almost no.  I signed up for LinkedIn a few years ago when I too was looking for another job.  I couldn't believe the riff raff from my past that came out of the woodwork within 24 hours of me signing up.  And it wasn't just one or two people.  For Christ's sake, were they watching and waiting for me to sign up?  I cancelled the account the next day but still periodically get requests to "friend" or whatever you call it on LinkedIn.  I just ignore them.

My wife is on Facebook.  She activated her account on my phone so if I want to see stuff her or my family posts I can.  She trusts me to never post something under her name.  We have a pretty unique last name (probably no more than a couple dozen of us in the Midwest) so she frequently gets messages asking if she's related to me.  She asks me if I want her to give them my email address but I've only agreed one time to have her give it out.  She usually just tells them she's never heard of me which is funny because I'm sure she posts pictures with me in them on her account.  So it's also kind of a nice "F U, he doesn't want to talk to you no more!"

LL is the closest thing I have to social media.  Very, very few people know who I actually am outside of the BugleTrout.  That's just the way I like it.

7/18/18 @ 3:21 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I’m with “the dude”. I despise social media, but did create a Linked In back in college. It’s very comical how someone could dig ditches for a living and frame it on there as being an “Environmental Engineer”. 

At 30 years old, I have to accept that I fall into the tail end of the millennial generation. I remain in touch with a couple of good friends from high school (all over the country) but never needed Facebook to do it. We actually pick up the phone and call each other. 

Someone once said that the more friends you have on social media, the less friends you have in real life. I couldn’t agree more. 

7/18/18 @ 3:19 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I'm on Facebook and that's it.  I use it mainly for groups I belong to relating to fishing, hunting, archery, video games, music, and cars.  I also belong to a large private group for my town so I can keep up to date on real instant news for my town.  I very rarely post anything or comment on friends or family.  Too much drama.  I do like seeing them argue among themselves as I find it hilarious. 

I should probably start getting into other social media because being a single guy in the dating scene at 33 most girls my age and younger are on just about everything.

7/18/18 @ 2:53 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Tons of fishing and hunting stuff on fb. That's the only one I have. I don't want to know what is going on in people's lives. Like Jace Robertson said, If I haven't talked to you in 20 years, there is probably a reason for that. 

7/18/18 @ 1:07 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
the_dude - I agree about LinkedIn.  It is pretty worthless in my opinion. I created one years ago and have never used it to look for a job. I get people requesting to connect with me on there but I never accept them. I have had a few companies contact me regarding job openings but they are usually not in the area and sometimes out of state.  I figured if they need to try that hard to fill openings there is probably a reason for it so I never bothered.

As far as other social media I have Facebook and Snapchat.  I've been using Facebook less and less and have deleted a lot of friends off of there.  I used to have over 600 friends, now I'm down to about 120 family and friends that I actually care about. Could probably even delete some more. I don't really care what people I went to high school with are doing anymore. I thought about deleting it but its a good way to stay in touch with family and see their pictures and what not. 

I got a dozen friends on Snapchat.  Mainly send fishing and hunting pics on there. Some funny stuff too. When I was single a few years ago Snapchat was a lot more fun......

7/18/18 @ 12:53 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I keep in touch with friends and family overseas, some in remote areas, with WhatsApp. Also have Instagram because my grown up daughters insist. Otherwise I wouldn’t bother. Never been on Facebook. I run a small business and have never needed to network to get work. But then again, I haven’t done any advertising at all since 1991. All my work is repeat customers and referrals. I’m almost 60. Maybe if I was 25 I’d need to network more to get new business

7/18/18 @ 12:44 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I'm 40.  Never on FB, twitter, snapchat, etc.  I have a Linkedin account only because I was going to start searching for a new job a couple years ago and was advised that many companies look at that now.  It is probably the most pointless thing I've done.  It is clear it is a glorified high school popularity contest, judging by the weekly requests to "connect" with complete strangers.  "I have XXX connections?  How many do you have?"

Dumb.  I've often considered deleting it.  The way I feel about it, I feel if it is so important to a company that they wouldn't interview me because I don't have a Linkedin account, that is probably a company I don't want to work for anyway.  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE