MORE
General Discussion

Snakes

6/24/18 @ 7:02 PM
INITIAL POST
ttime
ttime
User since 4/4/06

What happened to all the Snakes in WI?  I used to see tons of them in Waukesha county, I go in some swampy areas fishing and or catching frogs, crawfish, clams, never seen a snake.  Used to see Water Snakes on Ashippun 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 503 posts
4/23/24 @ 5:43 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
Moon River,
That doesn't sound strange to me at all.  That is exactly how my Brother-in Law, nephews and one of my Son-in-Laws are.  They don't like snakes at all, but thankfully they don't kill them and just leave them alone.

The BIL I mentioned above even spent time in the Big Cypress National Preserve and Everglades with me a few years ago looking for invasive Burmese pythons.  He was a good sport about it, and we only caught several native species.  He didn't want to hold anything I caught, but hung in there and took photos.  He learned a lot, that's for sure.

I got an early dose as a young kid when my dad and his cousin would take me out into the Sonoran desert and they would catch Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes and Mohave Rattlesnakes to "milk" their venom to produce antivenin.  
4/22/24 @ 6:00 PM
Moon River
PRO MEMBER User since 12/8/22
Better YOU than ME! I would have filled my Depends with any of them. Never grew up with snake friendly ​friends to show me the ropes. Don't want to kill them, but just stay away from them! Sorry if this seems strange!
4/22/24 @ 5:44 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
I went on a 25 min walk this afternoon and saw 8 snakes and 1 five-lined skink.  A couple of the snakes were sizable Fox Snakes.  The 1st pic is a 4 ft chunky female that I never saw at first.  It saw me and began the tail buzzing in the dry grass.  I only saw it after it went into defensive posture (because I was about to step on it) and it came out from under the heavy, dry thatch.  2nd pic is another fox snake that was spotted crawling through the deep cattails.  Last pic of a water snake coiled in the thatch, still drab from hibernation.  The arrow points to its head and right eye.
Snakes photo by SuspendedMusky
4/21/24 @ 10:51 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08
Sounds like a fun time regardless SM! I finally got my lifer EDB and some other cool stuff a couple weeks ago around Orlando. Excited to see what this year brings around here.
4/17/24 @ 9:31 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
Yeah, I hear ya BMR.  I was hoping to take a longer off-road hike into the Florida pine flatlands last week to find an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake or an Eastern Indigo Snake because I was in prime habitat.  But, after the alligator "incidents", my youngest daughter wanted to stick to the dirt roads and look at birds.  Lol.  We did however see some of the more common FL snakes; Peninsula Ribbon Snake, Eastern Garter Snake, Southern Black Racer, Southern Ring-necked Snake to name a few.  No worthwhile photos of those.  So, you'll have to be content with the usual WI stuff right now.
4/15/24 @ 1:07 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
WI? I checked the thread out to see Florida stuff.
4/15/24 @ 12:46 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
I took a brief walk about today and quickly spotted the first 2 snakes in WI for me this year.  A 4 ft fox snake and an eastern garter snake.
4/11/24 @ 2:20 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Close enough to a snake for me!   Lol
4/11/24 @ 12:50 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
Not a snake, but a legless lizard.  I caught this Eastern Glass Lizard today in the pine flatwoods of SW Florida.   We have the western variety in WI.
4/6/24 @ 9:22 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
Gman,
That color morph is just simply awesome.
4/6/24 @ 9:12 PM
Gman762
Gman762
User since 1/10/21
Here's a cute one. NOT in WI, but we have them. A baby pigmy rattler.
Snakes photo by Gman762
4/6/24 @ 8:58 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17
Plenty of snakes in the yard today.  Hank saw them for the first time today and was not happy about it. 
Snakes photo by Pool8
Snakes photo by Pool8
3/12/24 @ 7:40 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
Net,
I zoomed in on your photo.  Those are Chicago Garter Snakes based on the dark vertical lines that interrupt the lower stripe on the front 1/3 of the body.  It is a subspecies of common garter snake, found in SE Wisconsin and NE Illinois.
3/12/24 @ 2:19 PM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13
On a job today spotted this…. Foursome in the sun, yikes not a snake guy.
Snakes photo by Get.the.net
2/25/24 @ 1:45 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17
This guy came out of the mud today. Earliest I believe I've seen one. 
Snakes photo by Pool8
Displaying 1 to 15 of 503 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE